By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Imaginedvl said:
Machiavellian said:

It needs to stay in the store, or it can be on the ad tile but I do not want any intrusive ad popping up on my console when I did not opt in for it.  You guys maybe are ok with it but I only see it getting worse.  First we have the ad tile within the console, now we have whole sections dedicated to ads in the menu, now we have full screen ads popping up.  Just how much you going to accept because you can be sure, MS will continue to turn your menu into a complete ad if you allow them to.  Its intrusive to the console experience and it will continue to get worse.

I don't know man :) I actually really like seeing those popups for the big AAA coming out. For real; got me excited for Starfield, Forza, and now COD:MW3.
And I simply do not believe this will lead to a lot of ads everywhere etc. The dashboard is very well balanced for me and having a bit of ads here and there is fine by me. 

Not sure how you can believe it will not lead to more ads.  First MS introduced the Ad tile or I should say multiple Ad tiles which cannot be adjusted or removed.  Then their latest update removed your custom setup for more ads limiting your ability to customize the interface to your liking and controlling the console menu even more.  Now we have full screen ads just popping up without any opt in which is my biggest issue.  Its not that you like these ads which is fine but I do not and I get no say in the matter so now the console experience continue to degrade for me as each new update removes my ability to get where I want to go or get to what I want to get to on the console.

There is no reason why MS will not continue even more intrusive measures because that is how big corp works.  

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Machiavellian said:

No its not fake outrage, I personally do not want full page ads popping up on my console when I did not op in for that.  I do not care if its on GP, 3rd party or first party.  The most I accept is the ad tile that you cannot get rid of on your home screen on the Xbox. Now its full screen ads, what next.  As long as you continue to accept these types of things, MS will get bolder and start to do more because that is how corporate people think. It needs to be nipped now before they continue to push to see what is acceptable.

I'm really not bothered by it. It's not anything uniquely intrusive that we don't already deal with on the daily. You're upset over semantics.  Accepting 1 type of UI advertising vs the other for the same exact product in a slightly different way. Advertising is advertising. 

This is my point, why accept it.  Just because its something we deal with on the daily you are fine with MS doing it now.  I do not understand this mentality.  The reason why its done on a daily is because no one is making a big enough stink about it but once you allow corporations to get comfortable with something they will continue to push the envelope on it.  Like I said, my main issue is that I did not opt into these ads and MS has slowing taking away my ability to customize the interface on the Xbox and in its place put more ads into the experience.  It degrades the experience and it will only get worse not better because if the majority of Xbox users are not asking for more customization features instead of MS pushing what they want, then do not get upset later when all you have on the console is a bunch of ads or other intrusive selling tactics while your ability to customize the experience gets even more nuked.

I'm not going to waste my energy in getting angry over something which doesn't make me angry.

Simple solution though would be to just add an option to disable it in settings.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 04 November 2023

She also reveals that her brief from Microsoft asked for Cortana to have a European voice.

"They had said, we want her to sound vaguely European. And I said, What does that mean? And they said European, but no specific country."

-

Microsoft 💀💀💀

"Vaguely European" what the fuck does that even mean? Lmfao.

At what point does a recommendation or notification become an ad?
I'm not bothered in the slightest by what MS currently does with "ads" on the console.
Btw. I would like more notifications. Why isn't there a pop up when a game I preloaded becomes available to play?

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

She also reveals that her brief from Microsoft asked for Cortana to have a European voice.

"They had said, we want her to sound vaguely European. And I said, What does that mean? And they said European, but no specific country."

-

Microsoft 💀💀💀

It's like when people say "American accent." What does that mean? Bostonian, refined southern draw, full on redneck, Cajun, Californian surfer dude, upper midwest, lower midwest all sound drastically different from each other.

Machiavellian said:
Imaginedvl said:

I don't know man :) I actually really like seeing those popups for the big AAA coming out. For real; got me excited for Starfield, Forza, and now COD:MW3.
And I simply do not believe this will lead to a lot of ads everywhere etc. The dashboard is very well balanced for me and having a bit of ads here and there is fine by me. 

Not sure how you can believe it will not lead to more ads.  First MS introduced the Ad tile or I should say multiple Ad tiles which cannot be adjusted or removed.  Then their latest update removed your custom setup for more ads limiting your ability to customize the interface to your liking and controlling the console menu even more.  Now we have full screen ads just popping up without any opt in which is my biggest issue.  Its not that you like these ads which is fine but I do not and I get no say in the matter so now the console experience continue to degrade for me as each new update removes my ability to get where I want to go or get to what I want to get to on the console.

There is no reason why MS will not continue even more intrusive measures because that is how big corp works.  

Well, if you could disable ads, the majority of people would do it and them ads would become irrelevant :)

I mean I'm using ads for some of my stuff and if people could simply disable them (or use an ad blocker); it would suck :D But I understand your point, really. I'm not agree with it because I have really no issue whatsoever with ads and I see it (esp. in that particular case) as a beneficial thing (for the user) to inform them about something related to their console/platform; for me it is by no mean, degrading the experience, quite the opposite. But I def. see from you are coming from.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 04 November 2023

Hopefully Phil puts a stop to Mike Ybarra's hostility against WFH, according to Grubb that alongside his utterly stupid response to employees complaints had led to a lot of departures at Blizzard. I had thought it was maybe Bobby enforcing it but I looked at King's website and they still offer WFH...If it's a Mike policy then I'm very close to saying Chris Metzen should replace him.

Yeah I’m fully on the complaint train with the full screen pop up trying to accidentally make me buy MW3.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Dulfite said:
Ryuu96 said:

-

Microsoft 💀💀💀

It's like when people say "American accent." What does that mean? Bostonian, refined southern draw, full on redneck, Cajun, Californian surfer dude, upper midwest, lower midwest all sound drastically different from each other.

Yeah, like I'm British, I'm pretty sure I'd sound fuck all like Angelus (German)