By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Ragnarok reviews in!

 

Are you getting GoW Ragnarok?

Yes, was always going to. 45 68.18%
 
Yes, now that I see the reviews are so good. 0 0%
 
Yes, but I’ll wait for a price drop. 10 15.15%
 
Yes, I’m buying a PS5 for this game. 0 0%
 
No 11 16.67%
 
Total:66
DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

The game is a story based light adventure and pretty much the same as the first game.  There really is not a lot of cinematics in the game but there is a lot of story based side missions that flesh out the characters.  

You cannot look behind you, you can only quick turn.  Reading the red indicator that lets you know an enemy behind you is going to hit you is how the game let you know not to mention your side characters.  Its the same formula as the first game and it does take time to get use to.  Most times its just wise to position yourself to see as many enemies as possible.  I like to run to certain spots in order to see my surroundings better before attacking that way I can see when attacks are coming and parry.

Sometimes I prefer not to see the other enemies so I guide myself by the type of enemy attack and if there is an arrow. Sometimes when you can see all of them you don't really see regular attacks that doesn't have the circles on them.

This is true and it really depends on the engagement.  There are a few boss levels with added idiots that you have to keep them in view because the boss is constantly doing its thing.  Most normal to mid level boss with idiots use normal attacks where you need to be either vigilant or know their pattern.  Also if people are having issues parrying you can go into the options to give you more time which can help.



Around the Network

Yes, the side characters do spoil puzzles in the beginning but I noticed about mid way in the game, they hardly say anything. Late game they say nothing. When all is said and done, the puzzles just like the first game are more to break up the action then anything to write home about. If anything, I am happy they say something because for me, I get tired of pixel hunting instead just want to move the story or action instead of spending time with simple puzzle mechanics. Probably next GOD, they will have a toggle that will allow you to shut them off.



gtotheunit91 said:

To me, gaming nominations for a pristine ceremony, such as TGA since it touts itself to be the video game version of the Oscars, is take into account everything a game has to offer, including the game as an artform. Best Picture nominees are supposed to encapsulate film as a form of art. Very rarely does a high budget movie ever have a Best Picture nomination. It happens more often now than it used to, but still rare. GoW: Ragnarok would be to me what The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was at the Oscars. A high budget film that took everything that made movies fun to watch, yet still be a piece of art. And it swept all 11 Oscar nominations it had that year.

If just those kinds of games get nominated though, why bother having other genre of games if those aren't just as viable to be considered for GOTY? Inside was just as simplistic in design and gameplay as Pentiment, yet it received a GOTY nomination in 2016 as it was a very powerful and moving game, but lost to Overwatch, a multiplayer only hero shooter. If the entire presentation of the game is a work of art, it should be considered for GOTY. I don't like to discredit a game if it doesn't match a very specific type of standard.

Very well put



eva01beserk said:
gtotheunit91 said:

To me, gaming nominations for a pristine ceremony, such as TGA since it touts itself to be the video game version of the Oscars, is take into account everything a game has to offer, including the game as an artform. Best Picture nominees are supposed to encapsulate film as a form of art. Very rarely does a high budget movie ever have a Best Picture nomination. It happens more often now than it used to, but still rare. GoW: Ragnarok would be to me what The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was at the Oscars. A high budget film that took everything that made movies fun to watch, yet still be a piece of art. And it swept all 11 Oscar nominations it had that year.

If just those kinds of games get nominated though, why bother having other genre of games if those aren't just as viable to be considered for GOTY? Inside was just as simplistic in design and gameplay as Pentiment, yet it received a GOTY nomination in 2016 as it was a very powerful and moving game, but lost to Overwatch, a multiplayer only hero shooter. If the entire presentation of the game is a work of art, it should be considered for GOTY. I don't like to discredit a game if it doesn't match a very specific type of standard.

The problem with the the art narrative is that art is subjective. Modern art is considered trash by most people but some rich dude pays a million for a giant bannana. And thats the problem these small indy games have. Some people will swear by it but the majority will think its bad. I honestly dont think a game should be nominate for goty because some elite game journous think its great and we are to dumb and I unculture to really apreciate what they see. Now a game like ragnarok appeals to everyone and theres nothing subjective about why its good.

This is a hot take and just untrue. We have tons of indies that sells millions of copies, just because they are low budget doesn't mean they can't be appreciated by many people. It takes two sold 7 million copies, this is blockbuster level of sales

What about Among us? Minecraft? There are so many successful indie games, why can't be they be nominated for AOTY?

Also, there is no need to feel alienated or uncultured just because you don't see the beauty in a specific piece of art form, as appreciating art is subjective and sometimes we need to be touched by some sensibilities that for a couple of reasons we are unaware of.

Indeed if anyone feel dumb just because they disagree with critics choice then, perhaps, they're dumb indeed, just not for the reason they think they are. 



IcaroRibeiro said:
eva01beserk said:

The problem with the the art narrative is that art is subjective. Modern art is considered trash by most people but some rich dude pays a million for a giant bannana. And thats the problem these small indy games have. Some people will swear by it but the majority will think its bad. I honestly dont think a game should be nominate for goty because some elite game journous think its great and we are to dumb and I unculture to really apreciate what they see. Now a game like ragnarok appeals to everyone and theres nothing subjective about why its good.

This is a hot take and just untrue. We have tons of indies that sells millions of copies, just because they are low budget doesn't mean they can't be appreciated by many people. It takes two sold 7 million copies, this is blockbuster level of sales

What about Among us? Minecraft? There are so many successful indie games, why can't be they be nominated for AOTY?

Also, there is no need to feel alienated or uncultured just because you don't see the beauty in a specific piece of art form, as appreciating art is subjective and sometimes we need to be touched by some sensibilities that for a couple of reasons we are unaware of.

Indeed if anyone feel dumb just because they disagree with critics choice then, perhaps, they're dumb indeed, just not for the reason they think they are. 

I dint say a game needs to sell a lot. We definetly have garbage like. Cod and fifa selling tons and we can all agree they are not considered contenders in the hall of fame. I A said a game its touted as excellent or something by a small group but the larger group does not feel the same. 

Never said i feel dumb. I said reviewers and even people here feel like if people dont see their gem then its because your less. Theese smaller games tend to be apreciated by a niche most of the time. And if your not into that niche to begin with you will never apreciate that game. 



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

Yes, the side characters do spoil puzzles in the beginning but I noticed about mid way in the game, they hardly say anything. Late game they say nothing. When all is said and done, the puzzles just like the first game are more to break up the action then anything to write home about. If anything, I am happy they say something because for me, I get tired of pixel hunting instead just want to move the story or action instead of spending time with simple puzzle mechanics. Probably next GOD, they will have a toggle that will allow you to shut them off.

I agree with the point. Where I'm now I can take let's say 30min in a puzzle and side chars will stay silent, I believe in the begin they say a lot as if it were tutorial to remind you of what type of solutions and mechanics they use on puzzles. they will give hints when there is new mechanics.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

eva01beserk said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is a hot take and just untrue. We have tons of indies that sells millions of copies, just because they are low budget doesn't mean they can't be appreciated by many people. It takes two sold 7 million copies, this is blockbuster level of sales

What about Among us? Minecraft? There are so many successful indie games, why can't be they be nominated for AOTY?

Also, there is no need to feel alienated or uncultured just because you don't see the beauty in a specific piece of art form, as appreciating art is subjective and sometimes we need to be touched by some sensibilities that for a couple of reasons we are unaware of.

Indeed if anyone feel dumb just because they disagree with critics choice then, perhaps, they're dumb indeed, just not for the reason they think they are. 

I dint say a game needs to sell a lot. We definetly have garbage like. Cod and fifa selling tons and we can all agree they are not considered contenders in the hall of fame. I A said a game its touted as excellent or something by a small group but the larger group does not feel the same. 

Never said i feel dumb. I said reviewers and even people here feel like if people dont see their gem then its because your less. Theese smaller games tend to be apreciated by a niche most of the time. And if your not into that niche to begin with you will never apreciate that game. 

Pretty much all indie games that receive GOTY nominations are successful and make quite of impact at least among hardcore gamers, and every single of them sells a couple of million of copies. They might be low budget and the lack of marketing may block them to reach the general audience of FIFA, Mario or GTA unless they go viral like Minecraft, but it's untrue they cannot be appreciated by several gamers 

Like... Cuphead sold over 6 million copies, doesn't it show the game is popular enough to be nominated? It sold more than Sekiro that actually won the award 



TruckOSaurus said:
SvennoJ said:

Somehow I had far less issues with the first game and I do like story based games as I just completed Tlou pt1 before starting this one. I guess Naughty Dog is simply better at game openings. Horizon is another one that's hard to get into / get going.

Anyway I disabled anything that messes with the camera or picture, no motion blur, no camera shake, no camera motion, smoothed cinematic camera, avoid sprinting, increased the turning sensitivities for faster turning and turned on all the camera assists for combat. It's do-able now, as in not feeling sick after 20 minutes. Still the camera being so close remains a challenge.

For combat I'll stick to an edge so everything is in front of me which reduces the camera motion as well. Now the only problem left is Atreus constantly spoiling all the puzzles. Maybe I should just set the voice dialog volume to zero while exploring. No option to turn of spoilers.

It is a lot of fun though when it gets going. Not as detailed as Tlou pt1 but beautiful nonetheless. The HDR implementation had my jaw drop a couple times, very nicely done.

TruckOSaurus said:

I haven't looked for a setting for that and I think the camera is so close by design. Once you get into the flow of combat, you learn to pay close attention to the yellow and red arrows indicating someone is about to hit you from behind.

That being said, I had to customize the controls a bit because I could not get used to using X to dodge which lead to a few deaths in the first challenging battle. I also switch Block and Throw buttons since my finger would automatically go to L2 to block.

I customized them as well, I assigned light attack to [], X to interact, O to dodge. R1 for Atreus to shoot. Works much better than the default.

Atreus and Mimir spoiling puzzles does get on my nerves here too and it's weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes you walk in a room and they can't wait to tell you what to do before you've had time to pan the camera across the room or other times they actually let you try a times before telling you "Hey stupid, do this". I would love an option to turn those hints off as well. 

Dear God, yes. I’m kind of baffled by this glaring issue. I want to figure puzzles out myself in games, and I get no satisfaction from looking up the solution. But there have been several times where not 10 seconds after I’m given the puzzle, they give me the answer. Then, there was another moment where the solution was not very straightforward, so a hint would’ve actually made sense, yet Atreus and Mimir were dead silent.

That being said, most things are definitely positive. Im very partial to the axe, but I’m being slowly drawn to the blades. They’re badass. Launching someone in the air, then impaling them with the blades, Scorpion-style, and then slamming them back to the ground, is a hell of a feeling. 



pitzy272 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Atreus and Mimir spoiling puzzles does get on my nerves here too and it's weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes you walk in a room and they can't wait to tell you what to do before you've had time to pan the camera across the room or other times they actually let you try a times before telling you "Hey stupid, do this". I would love an option to turn those hints off as well. 

Dear God, yes. I’m kind of baffled by this glaring issue. I want to figure puzzles out myself in games, and I get no satisfaction from looking up the solution. But there have been several times where not 10 seconds after I’m given the puzzle, they give me the answer. Then, there was another moment where the solution was not very straightforward, so a hint would’ve actually made sense, yet Atreus and Mimir were dead silent.

That being said, most things are definitely positive. Im very partial to the axe, but I’m being slowly drawn to the blades. They’re badass. Launching someone in the air, then impaling them with the blades, Scorpion-style, and then slamming them back to the ground, is a hell of a feeling. 

Everytime I step into a room that looks like a challenege, I mute the audio of characters



pitzy272 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Atreus and Mimir spoiling puzzles does get on my nerves here too and it's weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes you walk in a room and they can't wait to tell you what to do before you've had time to pan the camera across the room or other times they actually let you try a times before telling you "Hey stupid, do this". I would love an option to turn those hints off as well. 

Dear God, yes. I’m kind of baffled by this glaring issue. I want to figure puzzles out myself in games, and I get no satisfaction from looking up the solution. But there have been several times where not 10 seconds after I’m given the puzzle, they give me the answer. Then, there was another moment where the solution was not very straightforward, so a hint would’ve actually made sense, yet Atreus and Mimir were dead silent.

That being said, most things are definitely positive. Im very partial to the axe, but I’m being slowly drawn to the blades. They’re badass. Launching someone in the air, then impaling them with the blades, Scorpion-style, and then slamming them back to the ground, is a hell of a feeling. 

I feel the axe is better for slower enemies and the blades are a better fit for fast enemies. It's really satisfying to slam down a Dark Elf about to shoot a fireball while flying. I'd say right now the axe is my default weapon and the one I enjoy the most, the fights with The Hateful are some of my favorites.



Signature goes here!