By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Was Xbox's 2022 First Party Output the worst in their gaming HISTORY?

Ryuu96 said:

The Initiative always planned on co-developing Perfect Dark in this manner, that was verified by multiple insiders. I'm not sure why people panic so much about news like this, it's hugely common in the gaming industry for studios to either partner or work with multiple studios, almost every single AAA nowadays is created by multiple studios.

Nobody does anything alone nowadays in AAA development. The scale for The Initiative/Crystal Dynamics is a little larger but there's multiple examples of that, World's Edge and Relic on Age of Empires IV, The Coalition and Splash Damage on Gears of War 4/5. How multiple Ubisoft studios work on each Assassin's Creed at the same time, CoD is the same, Nintendo EPD and Monolith, etc.

If it wasn't Crystal Dynamics, then The Initiative would have hired multiple other studios to assist on development because that's how game development is. Crystal Dynamics won't be the only ones assisting on Perfect Dark either because again, that's game development.

Everwild is a bit messy, it was definitely revealed too early, before they even had an idea of what the game would be, then they lost their Creative Director and soon after rebooted it. It happens, I don't really think people understand how volatile game development is for AAA, if everything was revealed as early as some projects, we'd be hearing about reboots nonstop.

It took Guerrilla Games 7 years to make Horizon Zero Dawn.

Why credit Playground Games for the work they do on ForzaTech but not the work that Turn 10 does for ForzaTech which in turn helps Forza Horizon? Turn 10 assists Playground on Forza Horizon and heck according to Linkedin they're assisting them on Fable too because Fable reportedly is using ForzaTech as well. It's not a new engine, no, but it is being heavily revamped for both Forza's sim side and now an Open World RPG.

Yeah, I don't think Compulsion's next title is AAA, I think it'll be upper on the AA scale but you're ignoring some factors, to start with, Compulsion Games is a ~80 employee studio and secondly, We Happy Few had multiple story expansions released for it, the latest being November 2019. Undead Labs is definitely moving into AAA development for State of Decay 3, and they do have multiple studios now, they're expanding, which is a good thing, but UL is still ~130 employees.

It's not solely down to the pandemic but it's foolish to pretend it didn't play a huge part in restricting development schedules and restricting the ability for some of these studios to grow quicker, not to mention, Sony delayed multiple projects during the pandemic, it's just that Sony had a far better pipeline than Microsoft which meant they can take the delays easier, and Sony didn't have to basically restart their development starting 2018.

The Initiative/Playground are both building from the ground up for AAA development so it's likely that they're going to take even longer than even the traditional AAA development schedules, as I pointed out, Horizon Zero Dawk took 7 years to make and that was with an already established studio and not during a pandemic but that's fine because games take time.

There is a lot of outsourcing with AAA game development, but not codevelopment. Don't conflate the two. Developers help projects, but are not assigned to the project in the same way the lead development studio is. For example, 343 is credited as the development studio for Halo Infinite despite outsourcing content from The Coalition and other development studios.

It wasnt 7 years to create Horizon Zero Dawn, it was less than 6,  meanwhile the studio still had a a major release in that period because most studios take on multiple projects at once. This is in addition to creating a new engine. Turn 10 will have released Forza with an updated engine (not a new one) with no major releases in that period. Let's not forget that Horizon is also a new IP in an open world whereas Forza is an existing IP in a very linear one.  

I didn't just credit playground games. I said they are building off some of that work. Which means they aren't using a completely brand new engine or a very old engine that is completely outdated. Turn 10 gets credit for what they do, but PG should get credit for what they have done. 

MS recently laid off 1000 workers, which is the second time this year they've had major layoffs. Some of these workers are from their Xbox division. They reported record breaking revenue in this time period. MS has the capability to support these developers with more staffing. They don't. 

I didn't pretend the pandemic didn't have any impact. I said it's not JUST the pandemic. Other publishers are still able to put out multiple AAA games in this time period. It's an excuse for having a slow year. It's not an excuse for not having a single AAA game releases in a year timeframe. 

We can also look at other development studios, such as 343, that are horribly mismanaged. A six year wait for Halo Infinite, delayed multiple times, while creating an engine and they still didn't deliver much of what they promised (e.g. coop) and, technically, it is not a good engine. Or, at least, it isn't good for infinite given the huge technical issues it has. 

As I said before, development studios often take on multiple projects. Just like Guerilla did with Zero Dawn and Shadowfall. These studios also arent creating new engines like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, or Sony Santa Monica. PG is using ForzaTech for Fable and the Coalition is using Unreal 5. Yes it takes a while to make games, but MS has had 13+ studios for over 4 years with nothing to show for it this year. 

Around the Network

Easily the worst. Glad that this will be the last year like this. They are getting to the point soon where they will have far too many 1st party studios and 2nd party deals to not release at least 4 AAA games per year.

@Runa No one out here is defending MS for fumbling their first party development in the last decade or so. I'm not sure why you think that's the case when it's not even what the thread is about.
You got called out for being wrong so you simply ignore the responses. I guess your last post was you trying to get back and us for making you look foolish. Clearly it rubbed you the wrong way so you had to write an 8 paragraph essay about xbox mishandlings. Do you feel better now?

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 02 November 2022

shikamaru317 said:

Easily the worst. Glad that this will be the last year like this. They are getting to the point soon where they will have far too many 1st party studios and 2nd party deals to not release at least 4 AAA games per year.

I might say 2017 because I don't care about Forza motorsport, but at least there was one new AAA. Makes it hard for me to decide between 2022 and 2017 lol But yeah I think this is the last bad year for xbox, it's already a crazy 2023. Wish more people in here was talking about the lineups in years than taking the opportunity to diss Xbox as a whole.

I still think 2017 was worse as I just don't like FM. GP has come in pretty much clutch for me this year with 14/16 games I've played on Xbox being through GP and outside of The Callisto Protocol these around 4-5 games coming to GP I'll end up playing so FP output sucked hard but it's still been a decent-ish year overall.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

There is a lot of outsourcing with AAA game development, but not codevelopment. Don't conflate the two. Developers help projects, but are not assigned to the project in the same way the lead development studio is. For example, 343 is credited as the development studio for Halo Infinite despite outsourcing content from The Coalition and other development studios.

It wasnt 7 years to create Horizon Zero Dawn, it was less than 6,  meanwhile the studio still had a a major release in that period because most studios take on multiple projects at once. This is in addition to creating a new engine. Turn 10 will have released Forza with an updated engine (not a new one) with no major releases in that period. Let's not forget that Horizon is also a new IP in an open world whereas Forza is an existing IP in a very linear one.  

I didn't just credit playground games. I said they are building off some of that work. Which means they aren't using a completely brand new engine or a very old engine that is completely outdated. Turn 10 gets credit for what they do, but PG should get credit for what they have done. 

MS recently laid off 1000 workers, which is the second time this year they've had major layoffs. Some of these workers are from their Xbox division. They reported record breaking revenue in this time period. MS has the capability to support these developers with more staffing. They don't. 

I didn't pretend the pandemic didn't have any impact. I said it's not JUST the pandemic. Other publishers are still able to put out multiple AAA games in this time period. It's an excuse for having a slow year. It's not an excuse for not having a single AAA game releases in a year timeframe. 

We can also look at other development studios, such as 343, that are horribly mismanaged. A six year wait for Halo Infinite, delayed multiple times, while creating an engine and they still didn't deliver much of what they promised (e.g. coop) and, technically, it is not a good engine. Or, at least, it isn't good for infinite given the huge technical issues it has. 

As I said before, development studios often take on multiple projects. Just like Guerilla did with Zero Dawn and Shadowfall. These studios also arent creating new engines like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, or Sony Santa Monica. PG is using ForzaTech for Fable and the Coalition is using Unreal 5. Yes it takes a while to make games, but MS has had 13+ studios for over 4 years with nothing to show for it this year. 

Gave you multiple examples of Co-Development though, World's Edge + Relic Entertainment, The Coalition + Splash Damage, Ubisoft Studios on AC Titles and Activision Studios on CoD titles. Besides, I'm not sure what the major difference is at the end of the day, Perfect Dark will end up with the same number of employees on it as every other AAA on average. Games nowadays are made up by 10+ studios, if Crystal Dynamics is free and available, why wouldn't you take them onboard?

The Initiative is STILL the lead studio on Crystal Dynamics, they lead the creative aspect, Crystal Dynamics does the rest. Co-Development is NOT a thing to worry about, it's becoming more and more common in the industry, and it doesn't show that there's something wrong with the project, as I said, it was always in the plans for The Initiative to co-develop with another studio.

Co-Development - Keywords Studios
What is Co-Development? | Studio Gobo
What is Co-Development and Why Should You Care? – Ringtail Studios
Effective Co-Development Really Does Make for Better Games

343 is the lead on Halo Infinite, The Coalition provided less than ~30 employees to the project. Again, not a bad thing, AAA's have thousands of employees nowadays across dozens of studios. 343's major development partners were Certain Affinity (who are leading the Battle Royale mode), Sperasoft (who created some Multiplayer maps) and SkyBox Labs (Who are creating Forge under 343's creative lead) and 343 themselves call Skybox Labs a true development partner rather than just an assistance studio.

Horizon: Angie Smets: How Guerrilla Games Made Horizon Zero Dawn in 7 years | VentureBeat

IGN says that development began in 2011 which would make it 6 years, but Angie Smith (Studio Director) said it took 7, it's likely that IGN is talking strictly about Production while Angie is including Pre-Production and my point is that from Pre-Production to Release, AAA's take on average about 3-5 years and that's mostly for sequels and not during a pandemic, a lot of them can take even longer depending on various factors.

I don't think we know when Guerrilla Games even started working on their new engine, it was first used for Shadow Fall and that's all we know.

Again, you're ignoring the work that Turn 10 does on Forza Horizon or ForzaTech for both Forza Horizon and Fable, it isn't like Turn 10 have sat around doing nothing for years, not to mention, Turn 10 is half the size of Guerrilla Games. Turn 10 is on multiple projects at once with ~200 employees. I'm aware that their engine isn't new, it's a heavily upgraded of their previous engine, no engine is entirely brand new if it's an iteration of another, not Slipspace, not Creation 2, not Unreal Engine 5, etc. I'm aware of that.

Horizon is a new IP in an open world from a studio with no experience in that genre, and that is why it took so long, and I make no criticism towards Guerrilla, but it is similar as to why Fable is taking so long, from a studio that built their team for it from the ground up during a pandemic and are currently repurposing a racer engine to an open world RPG engine.

Playground do get credit from me but Turn 10 created ForzaTech and are heavily involved in adapting ForzaTech for Forza Horizon and they are also now involved in adapting ForzaTech for Fable, the lead engineer for ForzaTech at Turn 10 is working on Fable among others because they know more about the engine that they made than Playground.

Those layoffs were shit, I can't remember the 1st time this year that they had layoffs, but I did look and the only Xbox area which was hit was the Serious Gaming Initiative which was working on military contracts for the US army, the entire team got laid off, as far as I know, Xbox (aside from that military team) wasn't hit at all.

Every major tech company right now is either laying off or freezing hiring due to inflation, it sucks, and I agree that it's shitty for billion-dollar companies to lay off whilst making huge profits. Microsoft has partly frozen hiring for now, Xbox is still hiring internally but slowly, across the past two years there were hundreds of positions opened across all of Xbox and they've done quite a lot of hiring but there is more to be done, for now, they'll have to partner and outsource a little more.

The hiring freeze also didn't affect Zenimax at all, I think it's due to how they're integrated into Microsoft, Zenimax employees don't receive Microsoft benefits either, they're still on Zenimax benefits. Zenimax isn't fully integrated into Microsoft. This partial hiring freeze won't last forever though, and I suspect once lifted the jobs will be flowing again, it also doesn't affect all studios, Playground for example still has 50+ open positions.

It's not just the pandemic for sure but I said that too, it's a combination of multiple things, as I keep saying, Microsoft had to practically reset and start fresh on their Xbox Game Studios starting in 2018, they only had around 5 studios back then and only 343i, The Coalition and Mojang were above 300 employees, Turn 10 and Rare were at the time around 100-200 so they were pretty small all things considered.

So, Satya finally pulls his finger out, hugely increases Xbox's budget (there were many reports of Xbox being underbudget/underfunded prior to 2018) and promotes Phil to the Microsoft Leadership Team, Xbox goes and acquires a bunch of developers but most of them were mid-sized, quite a few of them under 100 employees and barely scraping by, Obsidian and Playground were the largest at about 200-300 and the 3rd largest IIRC was Ninja Theory at 120 but the rest were ~100 employees.

Few of them pivoted to AAA development (Obsidian, InXile, Undead Labs) and a few of them released projects after acquisition but they were multiplatform (Obsidian, InXile, Double Fine, Compulsion Games), a few of them have released exclusives (343i, The Coalition, Obsidian, Playground Games, World's Edge) and a few continue to support already released projects which I think is ignored when these conversations come up, that takes manpower too.

If Microsoft ripped away the multiplatform releases and made everything exclusive things would look better, but they'd never do that, an issue is that a lot of them have yet to release their big guns, Obsidian has released Grounded and Pentiment (soon) but Avowed is their AAA. Another issue is that Microsoft revealed the projects far too early, I will say again, these development times aren't anything out of the unusual, it's more that Microsoft revealed the damn things when they were in pre-production, Lol.

Then during this rebuilding of Xbox Game Studios, the pandemic came, literally right in the middle of it, that would have had an impact on hiring, expansion and development schedules, it hit a lot of companies and there have been multiple delays due to the pandemic or titles released in a mess, 2022 isn't exactly great for major 3rd parties either, some publishers were better prepared for it though by simply having a better pipeline of content, if something was delayed it didn't matter because they have enough to backup, Xbox didn't, their studio situation prior to 2018 was absolutely dire so when they get hit by delays, they really don't have much to save themselves.

Eventually, they will get into a groove of releasing content on a regular schedule, and I fully expect that to be 2023, I do think 2022 is awful but it happens to everyone, every single publisher has had a year this bad before, I am very excited for 2023 though and believe it could be one of Xbox's best ever.

Edit - Also, Satya/Microsoft can be blamed for not investing sooner than 2018.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 02 November 2022

Runa216 said:

It's almost like Microsoft just isn't good at managing studios or juggling projects.

The numbers just can't add up. None of the cherry-picking or selective biases matter. They've been collecting studios like kids collect pokemon cards and despite having as much as they do we're not seeing releases with any form of consistency.

It doesn't matter if 'the initiative' hasn't released a game or 'the coalition' always intended to do cooperative development. 23 studios and counting. (And counting!) There's no justification for this lack of output other than just not being good at it. You can try to justify each missing game and delay, you can try your best to make up excuses, but none of them account for how they manage to own this many studios and not get anything out. Even if every argument about dev time or circumstances is true, the purpose of having 23 studios and counting is to ensure that if a game gets delayed or circumstances arise, there's some wiggle room. there's insurance.

Starfield and Redfall being delayed until next year is a good thing. It really is. I'd rather wait for better games than force broken ones. But why weren't there at least 5-8 other games there to fill the void? Why did they have nothing? Why can't they attract third parties to make games for their console like Sony and Nintendo can? They have the money, clearly, so why can't they form those bonds and maintain partnerships?

The only move they have is to just buy companies and even then it's not enough.

I'm sorry, but they're just not good at this. Sony and Nintendo have ups and downs and learn from it. Microsoft has been failing and continuing to fail to deliver since before the Xbox One launched. I want them to get better, I truly do, but they're just not good at it. They have a lot of money and can take risks on stuff like GamePass. That's their strength. It's just that simple. Their console has no unique features, it's just a powerful box. they have framerates and resolutions and load times that are so indecipherable to the human eye you need machines to tell the difference. No cool controller functions or VR or portability. Just a powerful box with gamepass on it and so few exclusive games it's honestly kind of sad.

23 studios and counting. They've been struggling, falling behind, and failing to deliver to some degree or another since 2011/2012. That's not a dry spell, that's a pattern. In those years there hasn't been a single time they 'won' in the game department compared to Sony or Nintendo.

Buying activision/blizzard is their only move because any other move they make they disappoint. They NEED Activision-Blizzard to compete. they are absolutely right about that and they admit it. Sony being pissed off about that is fair because Microsoft shouldn't just be buying studios to compete, they should learn how to develop games first, THEN you make acquisitions. They're making all the investments and spending all the money without the fundamental skill and knowledge to do the job. They have always been a brute force style. Just toss money at the problem. Buy all the competition, do nothing with them. Put out more powerful consoles despite power never being the deciding factor in what console consumers prefer. Bleed money on Gamepass because even if it fails it'll barely touch their Scrooge-McDuck levels of wealth.

and yeah I know this will NOT be a popular post (Especially not in a forum that has way too many apologists for Microsoft/Xbox), but you know I'm right. Collectively you can argue all you want, but it's been too long, with too poor of a result, and too many unfulfilled promises. They have a pattern, and it's not good. Could they turn it around? Yeah, 2023 genuinely does look good but it's coming after a consistent decade of disappointment. "Oh but Forza" yeah, that's one franchise. "But Flight simulator!" That's one game. what about all the outstanding games the competition has gotten in that same time period. Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles, Smash Bros, and so, SO many others.

They just can't compete without buying all the biggest and most influential third party developers and publishers. If they could, they would have by now. I hope the activision deal goes through because Microsoft NEEDS it and they're absolutely right when they say that even with Acti-Blizz they still won;'t be able to compete with the universal love Nintendo gets or the global market Sony has on lockdown. at best they're fighting for the US with their heavily Western-styled games and even then they're losing to both Sony and Nintendo.

Your so good at this console war stuff. Keep it up as i hope it makes you feel good worring about Ms fans than say playing your Sony games. I mean you have that many exclusives on your PS5 your time should be fully took up.

Doctor_MG said:
Ryuu96 said:

The Initiative always planned on co-developing Perfect Dark in this manner, that was verified by multiple insiders. I'm not sure why people panic so much about news like this, it's hugely common in the gaming industry for studios to either partner or work with multiple studios, almost every single AAA nowadays is created by multiple studios.

Nobody does anything alone nowadays in AAA development. The scale for The Initiative/Crystal Dynamics is a little larger but there's multiple examples of that, World's Edge and Relic on Age of Empires IV, The Coalition and Splash Damage on Gears of War 4/5. How multiple Ubisoft studios work on each Assassin's Creed at the same time, CoD is the same, Nintendo EPD and Monolith, etc.

If it wasn't Crystal Dynamics, then The Initiative would have hired multiple other studios to assist on development because that's how game development is. Crystal Dynamics won't be the only ones assisting on Perfect Dark either because again, that's game development.

Everwild is a bit messy, it was definitely revealed too early, before they even had an idea of what the game would be, then they lost their Creative Director and soon after rebooted it. It happens, I don't really think people understand how volatile game development is for AAA, if everything was revealed as early as some projects, we'd be hearing about reboots nonstop.

It took Guerrilla Games 7 years to make Horizon Zero Dawn.

Why credit Playground Games for the work they do on ForzaTech but not the work that Turn 10 does for ForzaTech which in turn helps Forza Horizon? Turn 10 assists Playground on Forza Horizon and heck according to Linkedin they're assisting them on Fable too because Fable reportedly is using ForzaTech as well. It's not a new engine, no, but it is being heavily revamped for both Forza's sim side and now an Open World RPG.

Yeah, I don't think Compulsion's next title is AAA, I think it'll be upper on the AA scale but you're ignoring some factors, to start with, Compulsion Games is a ~80 employee studio and secondly, We Happy Few had multiple story expansions released for it, the latest being November 2019. Undead Labs is definitely moving into AAA development for State of Decay 3, and they do have multiple studios now, they're expanding, which is a good thing, but UL is still ~130 employees.

It's not solely down to the pandemic but it's foolish to pretend it didn't play a huge part in restricting development schedules and restricting the ability for some of these studios to grow quicker, not to mention, Sony delayed multiple projects during the pandemic, it's just that Sony had a far better pipeline than Microsoft which meant they can take the delays easier, and Sony didn't have to basically restart their development starting 2018.

The Initiative/Playground are both building from the ground up for AAA development so it's likely that they're going to take even longer than even the traditional AAA development schedules, as I pointed out, Horizon Zero Dawk took 7 years to make and that was with an already established studio and not during a pandemic but that's fine because games take time.

How long did it take from the last GT to the new one?, nevermind that the new one doesnt even look that good and is no longer the top sim racing game like it once was with nothing but MTX in it. Turn 10 is a racing studio they can take their time developing the next forza motorsport game as they have playground who released Horizon. You seem to be very selective in what your nitpicking at here. As a writer on VGC i hope you dont let that same kind of biased ways come into your reviews as if you do i hope you never get to write a review for any MS game.

zero129 said

How long did it take from the last GT to the new one?, nevermind that the new one doesnt even look that good and is no longer the top sim racing game like it once was with nothing but MTX in it. Turn 10 is a racing studio they can take their time developing the next forza motorsport game as they have playground who released Horizon. You seem to be very selective in what your nitpicking at here. As a writer on VGC i hope you dont let that same kind of biased ways come into your reviews as if you do i hope you never get to write a review for any MS game.

GT Sport released in 2017 and GT7 released in 2021, so 4 years. I disagree that the new one doesn't look as good as Sport, but I've also not played either one of them so what I've seen amounts to some gameplay from it's reveal. I haven't dived too deep, but I will following this comment. That said, I wouldn't consider Polyphony a terribly great studio, and one reason I haven't played Sport or GT7 is their emphasis on online and Mtx. I do own sport, though (got it in a bundle for my PSVR)

I have no idea what you're talking about with bias. I've not made a single statement about the quality of any of MS's titles (aside from Infinite being a technical mess, but that's objective and doesn't mean the gameplay isn't good) Their studio output is lacking severely. I'm calling them out. 

Doctor_MG said:
zero129 said

GT Sport released in 2017 and GT7 released in 2021, so 4 years. I disagree that the new one doesn't look as good as Sport, but I've also not played either one of them so what I've seen amounts to some gameplay from it's reveal. I haven't dived too deep, but I will following this comment. That said, I wouldn't consider Polyphony a terribly great studio, and one reason I haven't played Sport or GT7 is their emphasis on online and Mtx. I do own sport, though (got it in a bundle for my PSVR)

I have no idea what you're talking about with bias. I've not made a single statement about the quality of any of MS's titles (aside from Infinite being a technical mess, but that's objective and doesn't mean the gameplay isn't good) Their studio output is lacking severely. I'm calling them out. 

As a writer for the review section your call outs are silly, as you should fully understand the reasons. Your worst mistake was talking about turn 10 when they are a racing studio just like Polyphony So the isnt many other games they could release other than their main racing game just like Polyphony!. And than they have another studio also working on an IP (Horizon) in the racing genre unlike Polyphony. So for you even mentioning them taking too long while not looking at the big picture that a new forza game has already released really makes me feel your just saying shit for the sake of it and also being a fan of another system.