By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Was Xbox's 2022 First Party Output the worst in their gaming HISTORY?

Before you start typing, let's try to take this a civilized approach. I can't think of a worst year in terms of First party experiences for a platform but let's all remember a platform is more than just exclusive games. I thought this year was actually pretty good for gamepass and 3rd parties but with the release of Pentiment it got me thinking about the 1st party output this year which includes...

• As Dusk Falls (MS IP, 3rd party dev)
  • Deathloop (new port)
  • Grounded (Full release)
  • Ghostwire Tokyo (Not on xbox)
  • Pentiment 

On the face, it's not too shabby but only Pentiment is a new exclusive from a MS 1st party dev that's a new experience.

Edit: Okay I went a bit hyperbolic with "gaming history" lol Kinda hard to do that when there's been a lot of failed consoles and platforms, but is it the worst Xbox lineup? Think that's the more interesting comparison at hand.

looking at Xbox's past years there's some low points, Kinect era 2012 is a contender

- Fable Heroes

- Halo 4

- Kinect games (including Fable the Journey)

Also Xbox One era 2017

- Forza motorsport 7

- Super Lucky's Tale

- Gears 5

- Crackdown 3

2017 the strongest contender I think but at least all 3 of these years had a new AAA game. If we are excluding previously released games 2022 still ranks as no1.

Last edited by ice - on 01 November 2022

Around the Network

There were some pretty barren years in the late 360 years if you weren't a kinect fan, and 2003 also wasn't amazing from a first party standpoint. But this was a really bad year

Thanks, I always thought there was no new 1st party game since Halo Infinite, but you're right, they released A Dusk Falls so far

To be fair, I don't think either the PS5 or the XBox XS have justtified their existence so far anyway.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yeah, it was historically bad Game Pass has been great with 3rd parties this year. Still have Return to Monkey Island and High on Life for the remainder of this year, but first parties were virtually non-existent. Obsidian has been the workhorse this year with Grounded and Pentiment while still working on their own AAA projects.

Xbox was most likely betting on Starfield and Redfall to pad out 2022, but those plans didn't pan out lol. 2023 is looking like a historic year for Xbox though. Just the opposite historic of what 2022 was

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

To be fair, I don't think either the PS5 or the XBox XS have justtified their existence so far anyway.

After playing Horizon and Demon Souls I disagree

It's bad by recent standards, but worst in gaming history? Any year for the GameCube after 2003 and any year for the Wii U after 2014 come to mind. Heck, most years for the PS2 would probably count, seeing how Sony had basically every developer out there (aside from Nintendo, Microsoft, and their second-party studios) developing for the system, so there was no need for them to publish anything of their own.

gtotheunit91 said:

Yeah, it was historically bad Game Pass has been great with 3rd parties this year. Still have Return to Monkey Island and High on Life for the remainder of this year, but first parties were virtually non-existent. Obsidian has been the workhorse this year with Grounded and Pentiment while still working on their own AAA projects.

Xbox was most likely betting on Starfield and Redfall to pad out 2022, but those plans didn't pan out lol. 2023 is looking like a historic year for Xbox though. Just the opposite historic of what 2022 was

The sequel to this thread will be if 2023 was xbox's best year

I'd be surprised if Xbox has another year like this again, especially if the ABK acquisition goes through. 

Looking forward to Somerville and High on Life still for this year, Gamepass is such a blessing 

It's been a really dry year. Their smaller games this year have been good and Pentiment is looking great, but not having 1 big first party release is certainly a first. However, next year is already looking stacked and I can't imagine Xbox having another year like this going forward. They got way too much in the pipeline.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 02 November 2022

Darwinianevolution said:

Come on, Spider-Man on Ray Tracing 60fps is one of the best example of what amazing stuff this generation can offer.