By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Hideo Kojima the most overrated video game storyteller out there?

How do you think Hideo Kojima is regarded in gaming?

Overrated 38 62.30%

Rated appropriately 19 31.15%

Underrated 4 6.56%

Total:61
curl-6 said:

Yeah his writing is often ridiculous.

I mean, he has one of his female characters taking part in the D-Day landings as a heavily pregnant woman and giving birth on the battlefield, which is just silly beyond belief.

Hahaha! What!? Where did that happen?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah his writing is often ridiculous.

I mean, he has one of his female characters taking part in the D-Day landings as a heavily pregnant woman and giving birth on the battlefield, which is just silly beyond belief.

Metal Gear Solid 3 I believe: https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/The_Boss#cite_note-6

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

Metal Gear Solid 3 I believe: https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/The_Boss#cite_note-6

Wow! MGS3 is a great game though but this is a bit silly.

Though confusing at times, still very entertaining to watch.

Like a lot of movie directors he earned his status by being a pioneer and pushing things forward. Ás decades pass, others move the industry forward even more and he just doesn't have the same impact anymore. I still appreciate much of his earlier work and I'm thankful for the feelings he made me feel.

Somewhere around Mgs4, things started to go downhill.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

He's a far cry from the most overrated storyteller, but arguably his stories have dipped in quality after MGS 3.

In MGS 1-3 the storytelling and characters were honestly excellent imo, even if there were a few things here and there that were hard not to be skeptical of. But since I would say his stories have gotten less consistent with MGS 4 and 5 being mixed bags of highs and lows and Peace Walker being a serious lowpoint. Can't speak to Death Stranding as I've still yet to play it.

Still, the man has had one hell of a career as a whole, so I don't think it's weird he's regarded as a good storyteller, but it is very possible his best work is behind him.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2023 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

You didnt even played his best games ...

His overall storytelling is fine, but I find at times it falls apart whenever he tries tacking on more bits and pieces to the plot, and other times when he tries to make a sub-plot or main part of the story super mysterious, that only 10% of the fandom will get for digging super deep.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I think like some other big names he was lucky to be in the right place (the games industry) at the right time (the late 80s) and made a name for himself early and became untouchable till Death Stranding. Most of his games are awkward in every sense. I have completed only MGS3 and although it is cool in some parts, overall is a clunky mess, again in every sense of the word. When I first heard David Hayter's voice acting in MGS3, I was wtf-ing and couldn't make out if it was so bad intentionally or meant for real. In this day and age you would automatically think it was trolling.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

In a world with David Cage in it, no, not even close. Kojima can create some genuinely excellent stories and characters, while Cage's stories practically never make it to the end in good condition. Kojima has a tendency to make his stories overly complicated, but they still at least adhere to their internal logic for the most part.