By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta OG Voice Actress Calls For Boycott of Bayonetta 3

kirby007 said:

damn i should go in voice acting if 4k for a days work is considered not enough

If you can do all of Bayonetta's voice lines in one day you're gonna go far, do it.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Asking people to boycott the game is asking for all VA's to get a better treatment. $4000 as a "final offer" written by Kamiya personally is downright insulting (if true). Crazy that some are defending or downplaying this insult. My mother, brother, and sister are professional interpreters who get paid up to 6000 AUD monthly (after tax) at the comfort of their homes and the hours of their choosing.

BUT... she kinda lost me when she said the new VA "has no right" to voice her character.

I got the feeling Kamiya wrote the letter, and then asked the business people to raise the offer. If he himself made the offer, uhh, yikes.

People everywhere are also blaming Nintendo for this, and I keep asking why but no one is answering.

I am imagining, Nintendo's social media persons clocking in for their shift and seeing a massive influx of new "fk Nintendo" tweets and going "what happened THIS time??"

Last edited by Kneetos - on 15 October 2022

Is her IMDB accurate that she hasn't voiced another character since 2014 when she did the voice work for Bayonetta 2 and Smash? Seems odd, it seems like every game I've played lately I keep hearing the voice actor/actresses that were in Persona 5. I keep playing these games and all of a sudden be like hey it's Morgana or hey it's Sojiro. She might not command much of a salary, if this isn't something she does often.

Kneetos said:

People everywhere are also blaming Nintendo for this, and I keep asking why but no one is answering.

I am imagining, Nintendo's social media persons clocking in for their shift and seeing a massive influx of new "fk Nintendo" tweets and going "what happened THIS time??"

The publisher cuts the checks at the end of the day. It is quite possible that Nintendo was involved here, in particular by setting a low voice acting budget initially. 

Around the Network

While I agree her pay is ridiculously low, how often has these stupid cavendish culture boycotts against games, films, and TV shows actually worked?

I mean, to be fair, it’s usually some pathetically moronic fan with some kind of narcissistic personality disorder (Spartacus syndrome?), trying to rally everyone to cancel some show/game/film because it doesn’t pass some kind of purity test, or they think they’re fighting some kind of glorious culture war by getting some pre-1960s work that has more than just white male actors as main characters.

But in her case, she’s actually an employee, gives her a lot more legitimacy than some neck-bearded incel YouTuber.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shatts said:

I'm glad ppl here actually have a brain. I don't get how some ppl can jump to conclusion when there literally isn't enough info to form an opinion. Did ppl seriously forgot what happened with Amber Heard? It wasn't that long ago smh.

Not really comparing apples to apples there.  Hellena Taylor opening up about lackluster payment runs the risk of her losing potential VA opportunities in the future.  She has a financial incentive to put her head down, go along with the previous 'scheduling issues' line, and look for work elsewhere.  The financial (and arguably cultural) incentives leaned towards Heard cranking up the accusations to their furthest limit.

I get the impulse to demand a fuller story before weighing in, but it's easy to see why her claims sound believable.

Voice actors for video games come across as an entitled bunch. As if they've seen the revenue stats for video games vs. movies and have concluded that they should get paid like a real actor who later ends up doing voice work for an animated movie. But the reality is that nobody knows these video game voice actors, except for a few nerds. If someone gets offered a few thousand dollars for a short job and then turns it down despite being so easily replaceable, then it's hard to find any sympathy for them.

In a way voice actors for video games are like writers for video games. They'd like to be like movie stars, but if they had the actual talent, then they'd be working in movies, not video games.

In this particular case, the sequence of events seems like Platinum wanted to get rid of her and have a reason to get someone better than her as the voice of Bayonetta. Her call for a boycott could have had a chance if video games were like movies, i.e. if a popular series gets rid of someone like Johnny Depp, then there's a good chance that a significant number of people would decide to not go see the movie. But we are talking about a video game here where voice actors just don't make any tangible difference.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

coolbeans said:
Shatts said:

I'm glad ppl here actually have a brain. I don't get how some ppl can jump to conclusion when there literally isn't enough info to form an opinion. Did ppl seriously forgot what happened with Amber Heard? It wasn't that long ago smh.

Not really comparing apples to apples there.  Hellena Taylor opening up about lackluster payment runs the risk of her losing potential VA opportunities in the future.  She has a financial incentive to put her head down, go along with the previous 'scheduling issues' line, and look for work elsewhere.  The financial (and arguably cultural) incentives leaned towards Heard cranking up the accusations to their furthest limit.

I get the impulse to demand a fuller story before weighing in, but it's easy to see why her claims sound believable.

VA opportunities in the future? When the last time she voice acted was for Bayonetta 8 years ago according to IMDb? And Bayonetta is the only "big franchise" she got a job with? U sure u know what ur talking about? Bcuz to me, it sounds like she's an amateur crying like a kid begging parents to buy a toy and throwing a fit when it doesn't go their way, just like most ppl nowadays. Now I'm being way too emotional and harsh here, and partially it's just sarcasm against ur reply. I understand the frustration and reality is harsh. This world isn't perfect, and I believe some jobs deserves more than what they are paid. But her response to this situation is unprofessional at best, such as claiming the new voice actor doesn't deserve Bayonetta lol as if it's her character right? And she owns the IP? Saying this 2 weeks before the release. Also claiming Bayonetta is some huge franchise with over 450m in revenue, lol idk where she got that from, and some people's response to this is silly. To me, it sounds like she is having financial struggles and just angry that Bayonetta which is presumably her biggest role didn't pay as she thought. Remember she voiced for Bayo 1 and 2, does that mean Bayo 3 was less than what was offered before? I doubt it. We literally don't know the whole situation like I said, so I'm not going to say more.

What a pathetic reason to try and boycott something. "I never got enough money waaah".

Even if she had a legitimate reason I still wouldn't really care. I just couldn't really care less about voice actors in games. I don't play games to hear voice actors, never have and never will. If the gameplay/story is good then I'll play it, regardless of whether they have a good voice actor, a rubbish one or just no voice actors at all.