By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games this year that surprised you?

Leynos said:

Capcom Fighting collection as I played Red Earth for the first time.  Been wanting to try that game for several years and was worth the wait.

Valkyrie Elysium. Really enjoyed the game.  Only thing I didn't feel like doing optionally was grind every weapon to SSS. Other than that did all the quests. Unlocked all endings as well.

As a fan of the first two games, I was wanting to hear about Valkyrie Elysium from someone.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Leynos said:

As someone who finished the game I'm more qualified than you to make a judgement. So you're wrong. You don't like it and that's fine but it's a good game.

Finishing a game doesn't make your opinion about it right.

Now can you stop this.

You're both right in some sense. You absolutely don't need to finish a game to say it's good or bad, but if you have more time playing it you definitely have more basis to make such a claim

Still calling it bad though :p 

Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Expected an enjoyable but middling game, but instead found it to be one of the most joyful games I've played in quite a while. Everything about it just put a big smile on my face, from start to finish. The side objectives, ability trials, and mouthful mode added a ton of variety, the level design was elegantly crafted, the music and visuals were lovely, and there was just to much love clearly poured into it.

I don’t have a proper response, yet. But I like threads like this.
Many great games slip through the cracks given the torrent we’re getting on a weekly basis. Even among Switch games I buy, I find myself not playing all of them.

In short, TMNT Collection. I didn’t know anything about it, but found it on my weekly check of the new games list on the Nintendo News channel, knew I had to get it, and was quite pleased with it. Generally, I enjoy being surprised by games in this way.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 10 October 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I’m enjoying Triangle Strategy immensely. I love RPG’s with good politics. (One of the reasons Radiant Dawn is my favorite FE)

I still don’t understand why they didn’t call it Scales of Conviction though. Either way, name aside, it’s fantastic. I’m almost done with my play through as well.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

I had heard beforehand that The Stanley Parable was a mindf*. But I did not think it to be that funny. And that thoughtprovoking. I love thinking about story and video games and how these interact and create. And this game has that discussion at it's core. Absolutely lovely surprise. I am currently playing it. Don't know hiw "far" I am already. But I hope there are still a lot of surprises waiting for me.

Evil West is a hell of a lot of fun. It's a really fun action game that feels like it came straight from the 360 era.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!