By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's Blizzard deal, fans should be worried

I wonder why fans of xbox aren't being critical and lashing out over this aquisition, instead they see it as a win. I think it's a loss on their part, and correct me if i'm wrong.

Microsoft has been heavily criticized for it's lack of diverse range of first party titles, when compared to nintendo and sony, and people were expecting xbox to step up it's game this gen and compete wit sony and give the gamers more exclusives.

Instead what you get is the aquisition. What looks like more exclusives is in reality  getting the expected multiplat games, on gamepass, but labelled as exclusives. Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase , the salesand get as much out of each title it can. It's ultimate goal is to make gamepass the must have thing for gamers on the market. Microsoft now has to make up for the cost of the aquisition. I highly doubt that microsoft will now  be able or even want to, invest  in their own internal studios output of exclusives, alaong with other third party exclusives, in such a way that would have other wise put them on level with what sony and nintendo.  I just can't see how that's feasible going forward.

As a gamepass subscriber, yes there will be plenty of games coming overall, but without the aquisition,  you would have been getting all those quality titles and future new ip's as multiplat, along with a even stronger first party lineup from microsoft if they actually decided to do something about it.  What do you guys think?

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

I wonder why fans of xbox aren't being critical and lashing out over this aquisition, instead they see it as a win. I think it's a loss on their part, and correct me if i'm wrong.

Microsoft has been heavily criticized for it's lack of diverse range of first party titles, when compared to nintendo and sony, and people were expecting xbox to step up it's game this gen and compete wit sony and give the gamers more exclusives.

Instead what you get is the aquisition. What looks like more exclusives is in reality  getting the expected multiplat games, on gamepass, but labelled as exclusives. Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase , the salesand get as much out of each title it can. It's ultimate goal is to make gamepass the must have thing for gamers on the market. Microsoft now has to make up for the cost of the aquisition. I highly doubt that microsoft will now  be able or even want to, invest  in their own internal studios output of exclusives, alaong with other third party exclusives, in such a way that would have other wise put them on level with what sony and nintendo.  I just can't see how that's feasible going forward.

As a gamepass subscriber, yes there will be plenty of games coming overall, but without the aquisition,  you would have been getting all those quality titles and future new ip's as multiplat, along with a even stronger first party lineup from microsoft if they actually decided to do something about it.  What do you guys think?

Looking at Xbox's games these past few years compared to Playstation it seems Xbox is more diverse. Playstation used to be very diverse but they completely deviated to mainly a single formula. 

1. Having the choice to play on Game Pass or buy is always a good thing for the consumer.
2. It's obviously more than just this acquisition. The ones prior like Ninja Theory, Playground, Undead Labs, Zenimax, etc. all mean more exclusives for the consumer.
3. MS has already invested heavily into their 1st party studios, new and old. This acquisition isn't going to stop that going forward. There is zero evidence to your claim.
4. They are giving their studios creative freedom to make what they want for the most part. Grounded and Pentiment likely wouldn't have been green lit if MS didn't acquire them. Playground is making a new Fable game which probably wouldn't have happened if they were still independent. Compulsion games, Undead Labs, and InXile have staffed up heavily and has gone full AAA for their next games. Once again, this likely wouldn't have happened if they didn't get acquired.
5. MS will have already had up the cost by the time ABK acquisition goes through next year so that's a non-issue.

At the end of the day, this acquisition will very likely go through so being upset isn't going to make a difference. I really can't think of any legitimate reasons Xbox owners should be upset by this.

I mean, many Xbox gamers just see more games coming to Game Pass for a low cost that’ll save them hundreds and hundreds of dollars on. What do they have to complain about?

Wow talk about a shitty flame bait thread.. Did we not just have one of the same kind of threads not long ago??. How you can do them mental gymnastics to say this isnt good for xbox gamers is beyond me with such week points. This deal is perfect for Xbox gamers and PC gamers so i am all for it.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

Wow talk about a shitty flame bait thread.. Did we not just have one of the same kind of threads not long ago??. How you can do them mental gymnastics to say this isnt good for xbox gamers is beyond me with such week points. This deal is perfect for Xbox gamers and PC gamers so i am all for it.

So I guess you were one of those oblivious ones and was content with the offering last gen . Yeah it's good to have more games on gamepass, but you'll be getting less exclusives than what you should be getting. If you own multiple consoles it's no issue, but if I was strictly on xbox i'd be pissed.

They're happy about the immediate value it adds to Game Pass without overthinking its long term consequences or the economics behind it. More major acquisitions means more major free games at no additional costs, or so it's presumed.

Personally, I don't care about services (like the vast majority of PC, Playstation, and Nintendo gamers currently don't), so I would have certainly preferred Microsoft using the $80 billion they spent to instead establish new studios, expand their existing studios, and acquire/fund smaller talented developers and projects. But Game Pass fans have other ideas.

KratosLives said:
zero129 said:

So I guess you were one of those oblivious ones and was content with the offering last gen . Yeah it's good to have more games on gamepass, but you'll be getting less exclusives than what you should be getting. If you own multiple consoles it's no issue, but if I was strictly on xbox i'd be pissed.

I was oblivious to what exactly?. MS buying spree is only starting to show its fruit and its all thanks to last gen why they have done this so whats your point here? this is the current gen not last gen.

Also im a PC gamer so it means more games on my gamepass sub how is that a bad thing for me or for xbox gamers?.

Is your whole flame bait thread based on last gen??. And as an only xbox owner you would be happy, but your not your a PS owner so clearly your unhappy about this.

Kyuu said:

They're happy about the immediate value it adds to Game Pass without overthinking its long term consequences or the economics behind it. More major acquisitions means more major free games at no additional costs, or so it's presumed.

Personally, I don't care about services (like the vast majority of PC and Playstation gamers currently don't), so I would have certainly preferred Microsoft using the $80 billion they spent to instead establish new studios, expand their existing studios, and acquire/fund smaller talented developers and projects. But Game Pass fans have other ideas.

Ahh the OP is a PS gamer. And clearly PC gamers dont care as we get all the games anyways. Dont know why you think most PS gamers dont care  when they are in (At least the small vocal few on this site) every thread or article that has to do with this deal crying from the roof how its so bad..

Sogreblute said:

Looking at Xbox's games these past few years compared to Playstation it seems Xbox is more diverse. Playstation used to be very diverse but they completely deviated to mainly a single formula. 

That's what happens when your blockbuster, narrative driven, single player games dominate the conversation; exclusives like Dreams, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, GT7, Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Sackboy, get overshadowed, and its even worse for smaller titles like Kena, SiFu, Stray, F.I.S.T., Chicory.