By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's Blizzard deal, fans should be worried

I think its not really a question for Xbox fans or gamers but rather gamers in general. I think most gamers should at least be concerned by the continued trend of consolidation of the industry. More so when its by a specific platform holder, as the concern of exclusivity will rise.

From a gamer who has a PS and PC this move by MS in the coming years could potentially force me to either upgrade my PC or buy an Xbox. Whereas previously I could most probably live without the relatively small offering from Xbox with regards to exclusives.

The same can be said for any other platform holder that may in future go after a massive publisher. Lets say Sony or Apple decide to buy EA and potentially make Apex Legends, Fifa, Dragons Age and Star Wars games all exclusive. That would suck way more than missing out on new IP made inhouse by Sony or whoever.

Lets just hope other companies don't have the same money and interests as MS. I think we can all survive the massive shakeup MS has made to the landscape. However others decide to follow suite, we going to potentially have to suffer through extreme segmentation of the community and most likely be forced to buy additional platforms in some way. Keeping in mind that MS hasn't actually made crazy changes with regards to big multiplatform games yet, and I hope they don't in the future, as that is when the response will come from other platform holders more urgently.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Why wouldn’t Xbox fans be excited?

More games on GamePass
Better games with Azure money bankrolling them
Zero chance of Sony paying for timed exclusives or chopping out exclusive content

I’ll be enjoying Starfield on my Series X next year. Guarantee if MS hadn’t bought Bethesda, Sony would have paid for 12+ month exclusive window on consoles or paid to set aside some missions as PS exclusive.

KratosLives said:

Microsoft has been heavily criticized for it's lack of diverse range of first party titles, when compared to nintendo and sony, and people were expecting xbox to step up it's game this gen and compete wit sony and give the gamers more exclusives.

This is outdated. 

I would say they're taking a bit to get a lot of their development ramped up, but they have a lot of great stuff in the works. They have tons of teams, both first party and third party working on tons of titles.

KratosLives said:

Instead what you get is the aquisition. What looks like more exclusives is in reality  getting the expected multiplat games, on gamepass, but labelled as exclusives. Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase , the salesand get as much out of each title it can. It's ultimate goal is to make gamepass the must have thing for gamers on the market. Microsoft now has to make up for the cost of the aquisition. I highly doubt that microsoft will now  be able or even want to, invest  in their own internal studios output of exclusives, alaong with other third party exclusives, in such a way that would have other wise put them on level with what sony and nintendo.  I just can't see how that's feasible going forward.

As a gamepass subscriber, yes there will be plenty of games coming overall, but without the aquisition,  you would have been getting all those quality titles and future new ip's as multiplat, along with a even stronger first party lineup from microsoft if they actually decided to do something about it.  What do you guys think?

"Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase"

I think there are different ways of doing this. They don't need to make $70 billion off of Activision's games. Activision itself has a value, and if things didn't go the way they expected, they would likely sell Activision for a hefty sum. They don't need to make that $70 billion back from other stuff. And MS overall makes a lot of money. 

In short, they don't really need to make money off this. And they're not really aiming to make money off this in the way you're thinking of.

KratosLives said:

As a gamepass subscriber, yes there will be plenty of games coming overall, but without the aquisition,  you would have been getting all those quality titles and future new ip's as multiplat, along with a even stronger first party lineup from microsoft if they actually decided to do something about it.  What do you guys think?

They're not just getting Activision as some fixed entity, they're getting the studios and the workforce. 

I think there has been some desire for Activision to start making other titles besides CoD, and more games besides.

KratosLives said:

I wonder why fans of xbox aren't being critical and lashing out over this aquisition, instead they see it as a win. I think it's a loss on their part, and correct me if i'm wrong.

Microsoft has been heavily criticized for it's lack of diverse range of first party titles, when compared to nintendo and sony, and people were expecting xbox to step up it's game this gen and compete wit sony and give the gamers more exclusives.

Instead what you get is the aquisition. What looks like more exclusives is in reality  getting the expected multiplat games, on gamepass, but labelled as exclusives. Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase , the salesand get as much out of each title it can. It's ultimate goal is to make gamepass the must have thing for gamers on the market. Microsoft now has to make up for the cost of the aquisition. I highly doubt that microsoft will now  be able or even want to, invest  in their own internal studios output of exclusives, alaong with other third party exclusives, in such a way that would have other wise put them on level with what sony and nintendo.  I just can't see how that's feasible going forward.

Microsoft did step up their game big time at the end of last gen and his continuing the trend with this aquisition. 

Instead what you get is the aquisition.
Which is awesome

Microsoft will want to capitalise on the purchase , the salesand get as much out of each title it can.
Just like they want to capitalize on studios already under their belt. Just like Sony want to capitalize on all their assets.

It's ultimate goal is to make gamepass the must have thing for gamers on the market.
Can't argue with that, but I see no harm in this, ultimately consumer will decide it's faith.

Microsoft now has to make up for the cost of the aquisition.
Completely wrong, that's not how things works when you acquire company. You make up for the investment by maintaining and hopefully increasing the value of those assets. 

I highly doubt that microsoft will now  be able or even want to, invest  in their own internal studios output of exclusives, alaong with other third party exclusives, in such a way that would have other wise put them on level with what sony and nintendo.
And now you have to completely ignore facts to even give credibility to your statement. The projects pipeline are as full as can be and Xbox game studio have multiple projects with third party including with Kojima productions. 

I just can't see how that's feasible going forward.
It's not only feasible but happening as we speak.

As a gamepass subscriber, yes there will be plenty of games coming overall, but without the aquisition,  you would have been getting all those quality titles and future new ip's as multiplat, along with a even stronger first party lineup from microsoft if they actually decided to do something about it.
If Microsoft was not doing aquisition, half to 2/3 of bethesda Ips would still be timed excusive to Sony's system. Same thing for CoD DLC. All activision/blizzard studio would eventually become CoD dev/support studios. Bobby Kotick and friends would continue there horrendous management policies unchallenged. At least now Activision blizzard will have a shot at righting the wrong. Under Microsoft policies, studios would also work on what motive them not just boring support works that make those with ambition and talents leaves like if their house is on fire.   

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 07 October 2022

PotentHerbs said:
Kyuu said:

They're happy about the immediate value it adds to Game Pass without overthinking its long term consequences or the economics behind it. More major acquisitions means more major free games at no additional costs, or so it's presumed.

Personally, I don't care about services (like the vast majority of PC, Playstation, and Nintendo gamers currently don't), so I would have certainly preferred Microsoft using the $80 billion they spent to instead establish new studios, expand their existing studios, and acquire/fund smaller talented developers and projects. But Game Pass fans have other ideas.

Honestly, I can't fault Xbox owners for being excited about these acquisitions and what it adds to GamePass, but I do think many overlook the long term impact it will have on this industry. 

By the next decade, every platform including Xbox, will have significantly less titles available to them because of consolidation. Just look at Sony hiring Uber's anti trust lawyer for their gaming unit, Tencent looking to aggressively acquire studios, or Disney and Amazon being linked to an EA buyout. Microsoft will not be the only major player making massive publisher acquisitions, they were just the first to do so. 

Sorry, no. As development tools become more accessible we see an explosion of indie games and there is no end to that in sight. The majority of titles on each platform already *are* indie games. So the consolidation will not make a real dent into the number of titles, as new indie studios will be founded all the time. Some indies will grow into something bigger too and replace the studios that have been acquired by the likes of Embracer. Only really super-big studios like Zenimax and ABK cannot easily be replaced. But they had a low number of games each year anyways. And it isn't even clear these two will reduce their number of games. For instance Obsidian could really improve it's output under MS, with multiple projects at the same time.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

So, they have FPS, TPS, Action Adventure, Survival, Platformer, RPGs, TBS, RTS, Horror, Racer, Brawler, Simulation, etc. All in development or very recently released. There aren't many genres that Xbox isn't attempting to cover right now, aside from the obvious gap in JRPGs and other typically Japanese genres like Visual Novels.

I guess it is time for MS to purchase SquareEnix.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Qwark said:

Mostly small studio's prefer from being bought, because there is more jobsecurity and they enjoy the massive funds that publishers or platform holders have in general. However for big publishers these are rarely an issue, so assise from the shareholders and with luck some employees the quality of games produced and quantity won't improve. They might even decrease due to more management layers and more overhead. The thing with growing studios however is that there simply isn't enough talent available to actually make new massive studio's quickly.

Tell that to CD Projekt and their ambitious plans. We'll see if they can actually hire talented people fast enough to pull off even part of their 10 year plan. But with 80 Billion you can easily afford to train talent, even open a game design university and create new talent.

Shinobi-san said:

I think its not really a question for Xbox fans or gamers but rather gamers in general. I think most gamers should at least be concerned by the continued trend of consolidation of the industry. More so when its by a specific platform holder, as the concern of exclusivity will rise.

Actually, I am not currently concerned about this, as I am for instance with Disney becoming dominant in cinema. The reason for that is, that it is currently impossible for *any* company to corner the market. Let look at it in detail:

1. It is quite difficult to create a movie independently, and even indie movie productions have quite some budget. It is also not possible to make a movie alone (mostly), because you need someone behind and in front of the camera - at least. You also need quite some equipment. But producing a game is possible for a single person with a computer - all the tools are widely available and quite accessible. So even single developers that quit in a bigger company can easily start producing their own games and completely new devs are joining the industry daily.

2. For an indie movie producer it is very hard to get your movie into distribution. Distribution channels are often quite merged with the producing companies. Even established movie producers have difficulities - if they are from other countries. India is a big movie producer, but they have a hard time to get into western markets, as they cannot reach the western distribution channels. Streaming services may make it easier in the future, as for instance the big indian movie RRR is on Netflix. But still this remains difficult for smaller companies. As an independent game producer though it is extremely simple to sell your game via Steam, Gog, itch.io or maybe even some other. Even distributing on console got a lot easier and all three major platform holders made processes to get more indies on their platform.

3. Success. As a newcomer success in general is difficult. And this is always true. But looking at the game market, it is very possible for a small team without prior name in the market to gain success. Minecraft, Valheim, Among Us are proof of that. Even on smaller levels, games like Undertale, Cave Story, Shantae, Five Nights at Freddies, The Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Rocket League all reached numbers even bigger established studios can struggle to reach. So being big is no guarantee for success, but being small not a reason not to be.

That all shows: it is impossible for any company to reach complete dominance over the gaming market, because all the time more studios pop up and more competition is born. So yes, at this moment in time I am not concerned about the acquisitions.

Qwark said:
Kyuu said:

Interesting take, the problem is this is only the starting point for Microsoft not the end point. They will continue buying until they are the biggest fish in the pond and can control the entire market. They have a near infinite amount of cash on hand to begin with. Anyways I wonder which company is next. With the excuse due to less sales on competing platforms we still have a lower revenu so we need to buy more publishers.

This excuse cracks me up. Zenimax's effect hasn't come into play yet because they haven't released anything major in a while, Starfield will be their first big release post acquisition, MS playing the victim and acting like Zenimax/ABK aren't that big of a deal and comparing them to Sony's moves is comedy gold.

But I don't think people need to panic yet, coz huge acquisitions for MS should be near impossible after ABK, which I'm not 100% sure it will go through. I think it is the end point as far as major publishers are concerned. For software sales (across all platforms), they are the biggest fish in the pond, bigger than Nintendo unless they turn every major game exclusive to Xbox and PC, then maaaybe not. But of course they will pretend they're poor, sick, and hungry whenever convenient ?

Ryuu96 said:
Kyuu said:

They're happy about the immediate value it adds to Game Pass without overthinking its long term consequences or the economics behind it. More major acquisitions means more major free games at no additional costs, or so it's presumed.

Personally, I don't care about services (like the vast majority of PC, Playstation, and Nintendo gamers currently don't), so I would have certainly preferred Microsoft using the $80 billion they spent to instead establish new studios, expand their existing studios, and acquire/fund smaller talented developers and projects. But Game Pass fans have other ideas.

They're doing the 2nd and 3rd.

Seem to have given up on the 1st, likely because it takes too long.

Xbox Game Studios (and now Zenimax) have had huge growth since coming under Xbox, until the hiring freeze hit (which has hit multiple companies) they were hiring hundreds of employees across XGS/Zenimax.

• 343 Industries, The Coalition were already quite large but still growing.
  • Double Fine is still relatively the same at around 80, but Tim made clear in interviews that he wants to remain smallish.
  • Compulsion Games has grown from 40 employees to 91 since being acquired by Microsoft and moved into a new larger studio which can accommodate over 120.
  • InXile had a 2nd studio opened since joining Microsoft (quite a large one) because their next title is AAA and they're now over 100 employees.
  • Mojang grows at a ridiculous rate, not much else to say about them, they've over 900 employees now.
  • Ninja Theory is now over 100 (140 last report) and recently moved into a new larger studio.
  • Obsidian is rapidly expanding for multiple projects and AAA development with Avowed, they're nearing 300 employees now.
  • Playground opened a 2nd studio entirely dedicated to Fable and have almost doubled in size.
  • Rare has near 300 employees now and growing.
  • Turn 10 has had a decent amount of growth.
  • Undead Labs is moving to AAA development and recently opened two extra studios, one in Florida and one in Illinois.
  • World's Edge/The Initiative are relatively stagnant due to co-development.
  • Xbox's Publishing team have gone from around 90 to 130+ and now expanding in Japan.

Across the years in total Xbox Game Studios has added hundreds of extra employees whilst having no layoffs, as you can also see, multiple studios are moving to AAA production and multiple have opened new studios to assist themselves in that venture.

As for "working with other developers" that is the role of Xbox Game Studios Publishing and they're actively working with.

• IO interactive 
  • Avalanche Studios
  • Oxide Games
  • Brass Lion Entertainment
  • Stoic Studio
  • Kojima Productions
  • Asobo Studio

Those are what we know about, there are certainly more.

Brass Lion is a brand-new studio. They also recently released As Dusk Falls from another brand-new studio.

They're almost certainly going to acquire some more smaller studios too after ABK.

This is without getting into spinoffs, for example, Minecraft Legends by Blackbird Interactive.

Yes, more of those, less ABK/Zenimax/Mojang (small but not really) please. I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't know about Microsoft's smaller acquisition/partnerships which were reasonable, hence virtually nobody complained about them. ABK and Zenimax are on a completely different scale. To put things into perspective, MS bought ABK for more than twice the revenue (not profit. REVENUE ffs) COD generated throughout its entire history.

One thing that gets me about those that are upset about this deal is have we all forgotten how TERRIBLE Activision Blizzard is and how we all were hoping the company would eventually crash and burn??? Probably would've eventually done exactly that at how it was going, but I digress. Now all of a sudden, it's not about how terrible the company is, it's all about where the games are going instead of looking at what the positive changes that could come out of this.

ActiBlizz was getting sued left and right, executives outright lying about the work environment, constant walkouts at Blizzard because of how terrible of a place it is to work at, profits above all else creativity be damned, Activision becoming only a single IP publisher, Blizzard releasing dumpster fires for games (still pissed about Warcraft 3: Reforged) Overwatch 2 being their most recent. ActiBlizz is arguably one of, if not the worst company in gaming. But, all that doesn't matter now. It's all about where you can play the games. Which isn't going to be changing any time soon btw, if it happens at all with the likes of CoD. And who knows how many other issues I'm leaving out.

The sale is going to finalize. I'm personally focusing more on the positive outcomes of this deal because one thing's for sure, it can't get any worse than it has been.

Blizzard was my favorite gaming company growing up outside of Nintendo and Bungie. I'm holding on for any sliver of hope that some of that Blizzard magic can return. This deal gives me some of that hope.