By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2022 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

kirby007 said:

so you agree its not very likely

I think that the consoles that get produced right at the end of the fiscal year get sold in the next one.

Idk wether stockpliling is actually going to happen. Idk why they would do that unless their production exceeds demand.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

80% of MH fanbase was in Japan as well. World sold more than 20 million copies still 

We never know when a franchise can make a worldwide breaktrough. I'm not implying DQ will sell as much, but if they can sell let's say 6 to 7 million copies even losing half of JP sales is a good business for them, because it can solidy the IP internationally to sell even better in the next installment 

Monster Hunter never got a really big push outside of Japan before MHW. That was the first time it got a huge marketing campaign and was treated like a genuinely big deal.

With Dragon Quest Nintendo has tried to push the franchise in the west starting with the very first installment. And only with DQ IX they actually for the first time succeeded to get it to sell over 1mil outside of Japan. With MH that had already happened with several games, which include MH4U and MHGU.

They are trying a new approach looking the first teaser. They teased a more darker approach, I think they will focus more on production value and make some gameplay changes this time. They stated they want next game to define the future of the franchise for the next 20 years, so I'm expecting this game to be a HUGE event, not just an incremental sequel 

There are market for JRPGs in West, we can see by games like Ocopath Travaler selling 3 million copies and Persona 5 5 million copies. Most of them outside Japan. I see no reason why DQ cannot pull a Persona 5 and sells 3 to 4 million outside Japan. 

I think the problem with DQ games is their presentation. It looks too dated, it screams 80s anime style, not popular even with current anime fans. With a better presentation, visuals and story I'm sure it can sell much better than just 1 million copies. I can see it skipping Switch and going direct to Switch 2 (the game is probably very far to be finished). I don't think it will be THAT detrimental from Japanese gamers if the game skip Switch and go to Switch 2 instead, unless for some obscure reason Switch 2 flops. 

I'm so confused. You're literally saying you think Sony is going to make 30m PS5's in a single year (when they have currently sold 23m after 22 months). This is such an absurdly ridiculous number, like why would you even believe such a rumor? Its obviously false. If you made a typo and meant 20.5m, that would still be a lot! I doubt PS5 could possibly sell that in a year, but it would at least be in the realm of possibility, it would just mean Sony is being optimistic. 20.5m would be realistic to make (perhaps not sell though) if they were no longer hampered by chip shortages. But 30.5m...come on, we may as well say that Nintendo is planning on putting 10m Switch's in Japan in 2023, that is as believable.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

Monster Hunter never got a really big push outside of Japan before MHW. That was the first time it got a huge marketing campaign and was treated like a genuinely big deal.

With Dragon Quest Nintendo has tried to push the franchise in the west starting with the very first installment. And only with DQ IX they actually for the first time succeeded to get it to sell over 1mil outside of Japan. With MH that had already happened with several games, which include MH4U and MHGU.

They are trying a new approach looking the first teaser. They teased a more darker approach, I think they will focus more on production value and make some gameplay changes this time. They stated they want next game to define the future of the franchise for the next 20 years, so I'm expecting this game to be a HUGE event, not just an incremental sequel 

There are market for JRPGs in West, we can see by games like Ocopath Travaler selling 3 million copies and Persona 5 5 million copies. Most of them outside Japan. I see no reason why DQ cannot pull a Persona 5 and sells 3 to 4 million outside Japan. 

I think the problem with DQ games is their presentation. It looks too dated, it screams 80s anime style, not popular even with current anime fans. With a better presentation, visuals and story I'm sure it can sell much better than just 1 million copies. I can see it skipping Switch and going direct to Switch 2 (the game is probably very far to be finished). I don't think it will be THAT detrimental from Japanese gamers if the game skip Switch and go to Switch 2 instead, unless for some obscure reason Switch 2 flops. 

Some of the previous DQ games also had a really dark story.

I agree with most of what you said, I was just arguing against the idea of PS5 exclusivity. I see that as out of the question.

kirby007 said:

so you agree its not very likely

I'm just speculating from the info Tom Henderson gave. I think stockpiling some consoles for FY24 is likely, if Sony actually manufactures 30M+ PS5's in FY23, especially if some of those units are being manufactured in November/December. 

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

I'm so confused. You're literally saying you think Sony is going to make 30m PS5's in a single year (when they have currently sold 23m after 22 months). This is such an absurdly ridiculous number, like why would you even believe such a rumor? Its obviously false. If you made a typo and meant 20.5m, that would still be a lot! I doubt PS5 could possibly sell that in a year, but it would at least be in the realm of possibility, it would just mean Sony is being optimistic. 20.5m would be realistic to make (perhaps not sell though) if they were no longer hampered by chip shortages. But 30.5m...come on, we may as well say that Nintendo is planning on putting 10m Switch's in Japan in 2023, that is as believable.

No, Tom Henderson heard that Sony plans to manufacture 30M PS5's, which gives the rumor a lot of weight considering his track record. 

Kyuu said:

DQXII will probably skip the Switch regardless of Sony's involvement. I think they intend it to be darker, more western-friendly, and action-based, and it's being developed with Unreal Engine 5 which -combined with the other information- hints to some very high production values. Evidence suggests that they're trying to pull a Monster Hunter World. Focusing solely on Japan is a very outdated approach for a AAA title.

I expect it to release as a launch window Switch 2 multiplat (Switch 2, PS5, Series XS, PC). If Switch 2 isn't ready by then, it'll launch on the other systems then get ported a few months later.

I don’t see this being an excuse to why DQXII would skip Switch or Switch 2. Let’s not pretend that Nintendo has only released family friendly content.

Xenoblade

Fire Emblem

Bayonetta

Metroid

Astral Chain

All examples of content that aim more for teens and/or older.

And Xenoblade is more action based as an RPG.

I don’t see how being dark, Western-based, and action-based means no Switch/Switch 2 version. Otherwise, Nier Automata shouldn’t be releasing on Switch next month.

Kyuu said:

DQXII will probably skip the Switch regardless of Sony's involvement. I think they intend it to be darker, more western-friendly, and action-based, and it's being developed with Unreal Engine 5 which -combined with the other information- hints to some very high production values. Evidence suggests that they're trying to pull a Monster Hunter World. Focusing solely on Japan is a very outdated approach for a AAA title.

I expect it to release as a launch window Switch 2 multiplat (Switch 2, PS5, Series XS, PC). If Switch 2 isn't ready by then, it'll launch on the other systems then get ported a few months later.

Dragon Quest 11 was originally going to be only on PS4, but they changed their minds and made a 3DS version because of the high sales of the 3DS. If they need to make 2 different versions of DQ12 to make this happen just like DQ11 then they will.

While focusing only on Japan can be bad for a lot of AAA games DQ is one of the few franchises that doesn't need the West to succeed. If Square Enix made a DQ that leaned more toward the West than Japan then they will lose Japanese sales just like they are with Final Fantasy. With Final Fantasy the West is making up for the lack of Japanese sales, but there is no guarantee DQ will have a big boost in the West even if they made it more Western friendly. The much safer bet is to continue what they're doing since DQ11 sold around 4+ million in Japan alone with the PS4, 3DS, and Switch versions.

Kai_Mao said:

I don’t see this being an excuse to why DQXII would skip Switch or Switch 2. Let’s not pretend that Nintendo has only released family friendly content.

Less censorship as well.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Kyuu said:
Kai_Mao said:

Xenoblade

Fire Emblem

Bayonetta

Metroid

Astral Chain

All examples of content that aim more for teens and/or older.

And Xenoblade is more action based as an RPG.

I don’t see how being dark, Western-based, and action-based means no Switch/Switch 2 version. Otherwise, Nier Automata shouldn’t be releasing on Switch next month.

... I literally said it will be a Switch 2 launch window title. Switch 1 is an outdated and underpowered console. Like everything else, it will evetnually get left behind.

A lot of people gave "Crapcom" too much shit for the MHW announcement, thinking it'll do 2 million lifetime across all platforms and some telling them to not come back begging their savior Nintendo blah blah blah. Ambition is exactly what Dragon Quest needs to become a major franchise outside Japan, if Switch gets in the way of achieving that, then they should skip it.

Those games you listed are neither huge sellers nor particularly dark. Not that I see how it relates to what I wrote. Switch 2 obviously shouldn't be skipped altogether.

Sogreblute said:

Dragon Quest 11 was originally going to be only on PS4, but they changed their minds and made a 3DS version because of the high sales of the 3DS. If they need to make 2 different versions of DQ12 to make this happen just like DQ11 then they will.

While focusing only on Japan can be bad for a lot of AAA games DQ is one of the few franchises that doesn't need the West to succeed. If Square Enix made a DQ that leaned more toward the West than Japan then they will lose Japanese sales just like they are with Final Fantasy. With Final Fantasy the West is making up for the lack of Japanese sales, but there is no guarantee DQ will have a big boost in the West even if they made it more Western friendly. The much safer bet is to continue what they're doing since DQ11 sold around 4+ million in Japan alone with the PS4, 3DS, and Switch versions.

They changed their minds but were shocked of how well the PS4 version did despite the massive install base gap between PS4 and 3DS and the series being much more associated with Nintendo systems. MHW sold incredibly well in Japan too, the attach rate was absurd.

Yes, they can play it safe and continue selling 4-6 million, but I think it's a risk worth taking. Relative-failure could easily be remedied by going back to roots with the next game. Pretty sure they've confirmed that it will be darker and more action based, so risks have already been taken.

Then what do you think they meant by “dark”? 

I didn’t dismiss the fact you said they'll likely release it on Switch 2. I just don’t think being Westernized or dark are reasons to not release a game like that on Switch or Switch 2. Or even being an action game. It’s like the Yakuza/Like a Dragon excuse that was reported last week when the director/producer said Switch is too family friendly for Yakuza/Like a Dragon due to the series’ nature regarding the Yakuza..

I mean, maybe people can educate me on this, but with the action gameplay on games like FFVII remake, can that only be done on a PS4/Xbone or higher?