By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (BOTW2) releases 12th of May 2023

IcaroRibeiro said:

Most of things I like about original BOTW is how exploration makes you discover new things about the world and how to Inter with it

I've already beaten this game 3 times and have spent over 200 hours on it, so to play the exactly same map is a bit off-putting. The sky session while looking pretty doesn't look nearly as big, open or connected compared to the grounded world, so... yeah I'm not feeling this game will be even remotely closer to impress me compared to BOTW. Being a direct sequel with mostly the same mechanics and map in a open world game isn't really the most exciting of things

It won't have the sheika slate and instead completely different mechanics like the time reversal stuff.

Around the Network

Edit: Great, the forum removed my comment for whatever reason, don't know if I'm motivated enough to elaborate again 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Edit: Great, the forum removed my comment for whatever reason, don't know if I'm motivated enough to elaborate again 

Were you going to answer me?

Of course TotK will have gliding, climbing, shield surfing and whatnot. My point was just about the item-like things that will be seemingly different this time around.

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Were you going to answer me?

Of course TotK will have gliding, climbing, shield surfing and whatnot. My point was just about the item-like things that will be seemingly different this time around.

It was directed to @mZuzek

My point was if much of the greatness of BOTW was the sense of discovering the map and seeing what they bring to us it will be very hard to replicate that experience with the same map layout, even if they replace all puzzles, shrines and add new dungeons this sensation of discovery and exploration (which is the main advantage of open-world design) vanish

Better puzzles and a good story can be more compelling in a game more tightly and linearly designed, so I'm not sure if this is enough to offset the lack of exploration. For once, I will find it to be a bit of a drag if I need to unlock all the maps and fast-travel points again on a map that seems to be of the exactly same layout

Seems that the time reversal power is going to be a strong focus here, as this is the second trailer to highlight it.
I can see this leading to some clever and creative problem solving, and some crazy antics from players who found cool ways to exploit BOTW's physics.

Around the Network

I'll wait for the next nintendo to release so I can play this at 60fps.

Since I'm a fan of the more linear structured Zelda games I will probably pass on this one. Need to give BotW another decent try first however. But after a few hours in Elden Ring I think that I just don't like open world games.

I hope Tears of the Kingdom is everything fans of the first game want it to be.
Me, I hope that the team is tired of the current type of Zelda and takes a step in a different direction for the next game. Even if it is just for a breather.

I really can't see the game just being the exact same world with a few small sky islands inserted over it, not after 6+ years in development.
There will be a lot more to it than that.

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

Also, while Nintendo doesn't rely on cutting-edge technology to make impressive games, and I mostly trust them to do a good job, the fact that we're playing in a Wii U world in 2022 is a bit disappointing. The Wii U is, technologically speaking, basically a seventh gen system.

The world may not be the same as it was on the Wii U, they may have updated it to take advantage of, for instance, the much larger memory available on Switch. Wii U may be 7th gen in power, but the Switch isn't.

The game engine wasn't exactly designed to take full advantage of nVidia's Maxwell feature set.

Heck, I would be surprised if they even added NEON support in Breath of the Wild in the Switch port.

BasilZero said:

Super hyped for this.

I wont be buying it day 1 but I'll probably get it when it goes on sale during the holidays of that year or whenever it will go on sale.

Very rare for Nintendo games to go on sale. AFAIK.
Especially for titles that shift a ton of copies.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm so excited. Can't wait. I think there will be a TotK direct in March or April.