By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (BOTW2) releases 12th of May 2023

https://gonintendo.com/contents/9279-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-will-release-may-12-2023

We finally have a name, and a date.

Around the Network

Cool to finally have a name and date. I thought they'd get it in the last week or two of March to boost fiscal year numbers.

Suddenly May 12th becomes the most exciting day of 2023 for millions of people!

"Tears of the Kingdom".. Good name.

Ridiculously short trailer again though, they really know how to troll me. 12 May is a bit longer than I'd hoped (hoped March), but okay whatever we have a date.

Launching on my birthday!

I expect 10M global launch weekend (Fri-Sat/Sun) sell-through.

NA 4.0M
EU 3.0M
JP 1.5M
ROTW 1.5M

Cool name tho.

May 2023 is sooner than I expected, imma pray to the gods it doesnt get pushed back. 

Around the Network

Looks amazing. I mean the 5 seconds we saw of it. Still the game Im looking forward to the most though. Great title.

Wow, it'll have been over 6 years since the release of Breath of the Wild before its sequel finally comes out! Nintendo must have something very special in store!!!

Lezz go! Lezz go! Lezzzzzzz z Gggggoooooooo!!!

RolStoppable said:

I guess 1:03 to 1:08 confirms that they'll reuse the overworld from Breath of the Wild, so I wonder why this game took ages to develop. I can only hope for vast areas in the sky and potentially an underworld.

Yeah as they said long ago it's happening in the same BotW map, though obviously there would be plenty of changes and additions to it.

The fact that they've taken presumably like 5 years making the game despite having to do a lot less work on the world and assets and physics and mechanics makes me think the game is going to be absolutely filled with content - the one thing people tended to complain about in the original (well that and the lack of major dungeons).

I think while BotW revolutionized the series and broke some new ground for open world games, TotK is going to bring the BotW formula to a high polish.

RolStoppable said:

I guess 1:03 to 1:08 confirms that they'll reuse the overworld from Breath of the Wild, so I wonder why this game took ages to develop. I can only hope for vast areas in the sky and potentially an underworld.

There will probably also be a lot of changes to BotW's world. Especially smaller ones.