By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Live broadcast of the team celebrating in Buenos Aires.

Around the Network

Late to the party, but congrats Argentina! They were all over the place in their opening match but got better and better. Was perhaps the most epic finals I've seen.

edit. Got to mention Emi Martinez. If that Brighton player didn't injure Bernt Leno a few years back, he'd probably never got his chance and become the keeper he is today. Magic of football.

Ka-pi96 said:

I only count 5. Brazil, Italy, Germany, France and Argentina.

You're having a laugh if you're including Spain. England are just as "grand" as they are, possibly the Netherlands too (the Dutch should've even been considered grander prior to 2010), and Uruguay are even more so.

Spain hasn't done especially well in World Cups (one title in one appearance in the final), but they share the record with Germany for most wins in Euro tournaments at three each.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I only count 5. Brazil, Italy, Germany, France and Argentina.

You're having a laugh if you're including Spain. England are just as "grand" as they are, possibly the Netherlands too (the Dutch should've even been considered grander prior to 2010), and Uruguay are even more so.

Spain hasn't done especially well in World Cups (one title in one appearance in the final), but they share the record with Germany for most wins in Euro tournaments at three each.

2 of those Euros were with basically the same team though. They had a great 4 year period from '08 to '12, but they wouldn't even have made a top 10 list of greatest footballing nations before that.

Plus in addition to their 1 more WC than Spain, Uruguay share the record with Argentina for most Copa America wins with 15 each. Given the higher number and the fact that they're spread over 9 different decades showing Uruguay has regularly been winning stuff, I'd say they should definitely be considered one of the "grand football nations" ahead of Spain.

LurkerJ said:

Just as happy for Ángel Di María, what a perfomance that was.

Taking him off was the stupidest decision, Argentina and Messi were just not nearly as dangerous without him. 

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:

Got to mention Emi Martinez. If that Brighton player didn't injure Bernt Leno a few years back, he'd probably never got his chance and become the keeper he is today. Magic of football.

That, and Argentina #1 Ustari getting hit with covid at the start of the 2021 Copa America, which is how he made it into the national team too.

Hiku said:

Karim Benzema: France striker out of World Cup 2022 with thigh injury - BBC Sport

Major blow for France, and especially Benzema who had to wait 8 years to play in the World Cup.

But still they did'nt utilize him properly

thread rising from the grave

Looking at the next World Cup. I am very excited because it will be taking place in many cities across North America!!!!!

BiON!@