By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

The 2022 FIFA World Cup is getting close.

As a brazilian, people around me are talking a lot about the odds of Brazil finally getting it's 6th title, but I'm not sure if we are ready for it. We have some good players, but... Well, let's just say we may win against weak teams, but if we have to fight an european team or even Argentina, we might lose it real bad.

Is your country at the World Cup? Who do you think will win?

Around the Network

I don't know why I feel that it will be Uruguay.

RolStoppable said:

At the moment all of the big nations seem to have their own problems, so I don't see a clear favorite. Regardless, it's very probable that either France, Spain, Brazil or Argentina win the title.

France played a disappointing Euro 2020 in 2021 where their only win came against Germany and even that was only due to an own goal by Hummels; since then they've won the UEFA Nations League despite not looking good against Belgium in the semifinal and they are currently ranked last in their group with two games left to go in the most recent edition of the Nations League. However, they've tried a lot of new players during the four June games, so this lackluster performance isn't truly representative of their current strength or lack thereof.

Spain played a strong Euro 2020 and they've looked like they are finally past the period where they desperately tried to replicate the system from their 2008 to 2012 title streak. They aren't as good as during the heydays of Iniesta and Xavi, but the arrow is pointing upwards for them.

I haven't watched any recent games of Brazil and Argentina, but what I do know is that Argentina dominated Italy in the battle between the South American and European champions. I recognize Argentina as the best squad of South America at the moment.

A few comments on other European nations that are in the extended circle of teams that could win the World Cup: It was very shocking that Italy failed to qualify shortly after they had won Euro 2020 in a deserving manner and with watchable football. The other Euro 2020 finalist, England, doesn't strike me as having what it takes to win a title; the tournament tree had benefited them greatly at both WC 2018 and Euro 2020, so they could advance further than they would have under more normal circumstances. Germany is still searching for their next reliable top striker, so there is an important piece missing to make a run for their next title; aside from that, their quality of play is widely inconsistent from one game to the next, hence why I rank Spain higher than them.

Belgium, Croatia, Portugal and the Netherlands are smaller European nations that can get far if things come together for them, although Portugal is on a downward trend at the tail end of the Ronaldo era (similar things can be said about Croatia and the Modric era) while the Netherlands are still in the phase of creating a new coherent team. That leaves only Belgium as a team that can taken seriously, but it has now been almost a decade of high praise in advance and more often than not falling short of expectations; this is probably the last time they have the chance to make it far before most players of their golden generation are too old.

Austria (my country) is once again not at the World Cup and deservedly so. After an embarrasing qualifying group performance with a fourth place finish behind Scotland and Israel, they wasted their special Nations League WC playoff ticket in Wales where Bale was just too much for them.

And lastly, I should make a pick for the next WC champion. I'll go with Argentina.

Back in 2014, Argentina made it to the final, but lost it to Germany.

That may be the last chance for Lionel Messi.

It’s not really hyped or even talked about much here  yet. Doesn’t really feel like anyone really cares or maybe people aren’t expecting much. On the other hand it’s still a while away.

Though it’s probably also because it’s in Qatar, which isn’t popular. At all. I read it’s similar in England and some other places as well. Travel agencies actually had to cancel all sorts of arrangements because there wasn’t much interest. We’ll see of supermarkets will again do promotions with all kinds of orange crap.

Calling a winner, difficult. Every one of the big teams has a chance, I’d say either Argentina or France again. Brazil is probably going to dramatically crash and burn again, and Germany isn’t really up to snuff yet though they can always surprise. Belgium buckles under pressure, so does England.

RolStoppable said:

(..) while the Netherlands are still in the phase of creating a new coherent team. (..)

We are perpetually in this phase.

We’re just lucky we are in the weakest group ever again, like in the past Euros, and then after three questionable wins everyone will get hyped about how we’re easily going to win the whole thing only to hopelessly lose the second we’re up against a team that isn’t a complete joke in the Round of 16.

EDIT: Winner of Group A (likely Netherlands otherwise we’re really terrible) takes on Runner-up of B, so probably United States or Wales. We could still win that. If England happens to be runner-up then no, we’re out. Then in Quarter Finals it would be against the winner of Winner of C versus Runner-up of D, which are likely Argentina versus Denmark, which Argentina wins making the Quarter Final Netherlands versus Argentina. No chance for us to win that, so my prediction concerning my own country; we go out in the Quarter Finals at best, could potentially go out in the Round of 16.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 01 September 2022

I'll tell you who won't be a champion. All the foreign labor workers that died working on the stadiums in that shit Arab middle eastern country due to repressive labor laws.  Fuck Qatar.

Around the Network

For once; I don't care since I won't be watching. To hell with FIFA for letting Qatar host the contest.

S.Peelman said:

Winner of Group A (likely Netherlands otherwise we’re really terrible) takes on Runner-up of B, so probably United States or Wales. We could still win that. If England happens to be runner-up then no, we’re out.

Then in Quarter Finals it would be against the winner of Winner of C versus Runner-up of D, which are likely Argentina versus Denmark, which Argentina wins making the Quarter Final Netherlands versus Argentina.

As an Englishman, I find it amusing to hear a Dutchman say they’d lose to England as that’s the opposite of my prediction if England were runners-up in their group. I consistently see England ranked as third favourites on gambling sites and think whoever wrote that is mad. I would put us as 10th favourites at best given recent form and squad issues. Pundits talk about England’s strength in depth and talent like Alexander-Arnold, Bellingham, Foden, Maddison etc but they gloss over the obvious there. TAA almost never gets picked by Southgate, Maddison doesn’t make the squad. Bellingham, whilst he should undoubtedly be in the starting 11, will likely get dropped once Kalvin Phillips, injured all season, is back fit and Southgate seems unable to get the best out of Foden. Also, I find the notion of strength in depth laughable when Southgate persists with Harry Maguire who has been out of form for over a year.

England’s main hope will be to build up a head of steam and restore some confidence in the early rounds and run with it. They draw could yet be kind to them again but in reality, winning it seems beyond them. I’ve seen some previews calling it their ‘now or never’ moment but really that was probably Euro 2020.

As for the Quarter-Final, I’m thinking it would be against the winner of Argentina v France, rather than Denmark. This is as, similar to England, France have had a bad year in 2022. Their form hasn’t been great and a few key players are injured. Denmark beat them twice in the Nations League and, whilst that’s no guarantee of anything, I can see them winning again in Group D.

With Argentina and Brazil, yes they rule in South America but it hard to benchmark them against the European teams as they play against each other so infrequently. That said, all the top European teams have issues so who knows.

Last edited by SecondWar - on 13 November 2022

Karim Benzema: France striker out of World Cup 2022 with thigh injury - BBC Sport

Major blow for France, and especially Benzema who had to wait 8 years to play in the World Cup.

Hiku said:

Karim Benzema: France striker out of World Cup 2022 with thigh injury - BBC Sport

Major blow for France, and especially Benzema who had to wait 8 years to play in the World Cup.

Yeah, that sucks...

I'm going to be at work during most of the World Cup, I think. But the school will let us watch Brazil matches.

This World Cup is ass.

Nice to see Qatar getting embarrassed at least, but still. Would be a lot nicer to have a proper opening match in a decent country.

edit: also the VAR shambles 5 minutes in to try and save Qatar's ass was the ugliest thing