By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

This is why they should finally just use real time, you know, stop the clock when play is stopped, like in pretty much every other sport. I don't know if there's a fancy word for it.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
theRepublic said:

I always thought the added time was way too short for how much time wasting goes on.  I don't know if this is an overcorrection, but in general I think it is a step in the right direction.

Definitely an overcorrection. 10 added minutes at the second half of England vs. Iran when nothing particularly time-consuming happened, on a dead and buried game too. It's dangerous for the players, it's like they're playing extra time every game.

It's one thing to punish time wasting, but another entirely to start adding shit tons of minutes for goal celebrations or just about any stoppages at all. Never mind the ridiculously long VAR stoppages that add up several minutes at the end of each half, when most of the checks didn't even need to happen.

Added time should only ever go above 5 or 6 minutes if there's some major reason for it, like the injury to Iran's goalkeeper for example, otherwise it's just nonsense. There hasn't been much in the way of blatant time-wasting yet in this World Cup.

That is where we are going to disagree then.  There is an argument to be made that throw-ins, corners, and free kicks are not really wasted time since players are actively moving for position (within a reasonable time frame of course).  Goal celebrations, VAR, substitutions, and injuries all take away time from actively playing the game and contribute nothing.  All that time should be added onto the end of each half.  I don't care how much it is.  It needs to be kept track of and added.  I don't really care that traditionally only a few minutes get added on.  The sport was deliberately ignoring its own rules.  Time wasting is boring to watch.  I want to watch them actually play the game.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/world-cup-stoppage-time-is-wildly-inaccurate/

This article makes the case that stoppage times in the past (2018 World Cup is the specific example here) have been too short by half.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Unbelievable result for Saudi.

I did question the Argentina line up when I saw it, it just didn't seem very good, but I still thought they would win comfortably and they were just giving some of the players that probably won't play in the harder games a run out. I really hope that was Scaloni's logic for his Argentina selection, because if that was their best... then they're seriously fucked this tournament!

Saudi were great though, full credit to them for the win. Al-Dawsari with one of the goals of the tournament too!

S.Peelman said:

This is why they should finally just use real time, you know, stop the clock when play is stopped, like in pretty much every other sport. I don't know if there's a fancy word for it.

Agree, this is standard across all over codes.

Score whatever = stop the clock

umpire blows whistle for a foul = stop the clock

That way you will know exactly what time is left, not this extra time of 8 minutes then suddenly it went on for 14 minutes because a player was fouled lol

Cobretti2 said:
S.Peelman said:

Agree, this is standard across all over codes.

Score whatever = stop the clock

umpire blows whistle for a foul = stop the clock

That way you will know exactly what time is left, not this extra time of 8 minutes then suddenly it went on for 14 minutes because a player was fouled lol

I can see the logic behind that, but given how its non the traditional done thing you'd be hard pressed to get the sport's law-makers to change it.

Around the Network

Way to go Japan!

Ka-pi96 said:

Way to go Japan!

Japan 2 - 1 Germany ^_^

Congratulations, Japan! That was a nice victory over Germany!

Ka-pi96 said:

Way to go Japan!

They been preparing for it lol

https://myanimelist.net/anime/49596/Blue_Lock

Spain looked the best in their opening game I doubt any of the teams that play their first game tomorrow will look better than Spain did.