By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Game Would Be As Good, If Not Better In A Different Genre?

I would like to see a Mortal Kombat turn-based RPG. This way the over-the-top executions and moves can stay part of the game, while having a more fleshed out story and character development, party system, leveling up, customization, etc. My inspiration at the movement is Yakuza: Like a Dragon. 

So what would you choose? 

Around the Network

Kingdom Hearts would be better as a straight up 3D platformer/action hack n slash game. I think all the RPG elements go over the heads of the young audience that Disney appeals to (nostalgic adults aside). I know that when I bought the first game at 10 years old I had no idea it was even an RPG...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

LA Noire as a linear dectective game.

Cyberpunk 2077 as a third person linear action adventure game.

Ni No Kuni as an ARPG. The battle system they had was so fucking wrong for a grind heavy RPG.

Senko no Ronde 2 as a traditional shmup with mecha from different anime/games

Crisis Core as either a full turn based RPG or ARG instead of whatever the fuck that battle system is.

Maken X as an SMT 3rd person spinoff.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Signalstar said:

Kingdom Hearts would be better as a straight up 3D platformer/action hack n slash game. I think all the RPG elements go over the heads of the young audience that Disney appeals to (nostalgic adults aside). I know that when I bought the first game at 10 years old I had no idea it was even an RPG...

Either that, or a full-on RPG. But what it is now is a mess of a mix of different genres mashed together haphazardly.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Signalstar said:

Either that, or a full-on RPG. But what it is now is a mess of a mix of different genres mashed together haphazardly.

This.
I'd much rather it was a turn-based RPG than action RPG. You could take a half-step a la Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi where you need to react enemy, but the real-time battles with limited control over Donald and Goofy was always so frustrating to me. No matter how you set the AI in the original game they never seem to do what you want. I'd rather just have full control over them.

Around the Network

After the announcement of Dune: Awakening being a Survival MMO, I can't help but feel it as a wasted opportunity. All previous Dune games, from what I can tell, have been real time strategy games. Dune: Awakening could've finally been that AAA single player open world action adventure game.

gtotheunit91 said:

After the announcement of Dune: Awakening being a Survival MMO, I can't help but feel it as a wasted opportunity. All previous Dune games, from what I can tell, have been real time strategy games. Dune: Awakening could've finally been that AAA single player open world action adventure game.

Not the first Dune, which is much more broad. It's an open world first person adventure game with strategy and management elements, as well as some light RPG bits and some exploration included. It's a vast, but once you know how it ticks, also a pretty easy game. It's actually the very first game I played through on PC and the second one after SMB1 

Spoiler!

In theory, you could win this game in a pure pacifist run by getting the Harkonnen to retreat by greening the sectors (any sector with vegetation has no Spice anymore, the only thing the Harkonnen care about)

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 01 September 2022

Fallout 3 and 4 as an isometric turn based RPG…

…oh wait thats Fallout 1 and 2 which are far superior to 3 and 4.

Spindel said:

Fallout 3 and 4 as an isometric turn based RPG…

…oh wait thats Fallout 1 and 2 which are far superior to 3 and 4.

Try Fallout Van Buren, the original in-development build of Fallout 3 before Bethesda got their hands on the franchise.

smroadkill15 said:

I would like to see a Mortal Kombat turn-based RPG. This way the over-the-top executions and moves can stay part of the game, while having a more fleshed out story and character development, party system, leveling up, customization, etc. My inspiration at the movement is Yakuza: Like a Dragon. 

So what would you choose? 

I've wanted this ever since MK3 and FFVI were current things.