By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb, PS5 Sales Flat - Global Hardware Aug 14-20

Nintendo Switch sales compared to the same week a year ago are down by 28,628 units (-9.6%), while the PlayStation 5 is down by 27,628 (-11.5%) and the Xbox Series X|S is up 42,231 units (32.1%).

PS5 is down YoY, but it outsold XBS in the Americas this week.  Looks like Sony is trying their hardest to prevent XBox from gaining too much ground in the Americas this generation.

Around the Network

Looks like 50k-60k Xboxes per week in Europe is where it's going to settle for now. I was expecting a little more, but still not bad considering the disastrous XB1 numbers in Europe. It will add up to 3-4 million per year or so?

I'm not concerned about it though. I've no doubt that sales will increase once Starfield etc hits.

Edit: Actually, I take it back. Looking at the 360 numbers 50k/week is pretty impressive, especially at this stage in the lifecycle.

Last edited by BonfiresDown - on 29 August 2022

BonfiresDown said:

Looks like 50k-60k Xboxes per week in Europe is where it's going to settle for now. I was expecting a little more, but still not bad considering the disastrous XB1 numbers in Europe. It will add up to 3-4 million per year or so?

Xbox may get a small boost in Europe and some other non-US territories with the PS5 price increase. Some who are waiting for a PS5 price cut, may get an Xbox instead knowing it won't be happening anytime soon. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 29 August 2022

BonfiresDown said:

MS will be happy with that. They know EU is Sony territory but they will take what they can get. The real surprise is JP and how much better the X|S are doing compared to the XBO. It still has to pass the og xb there before we can talk about if it can pass the 360. But so far so good.

When do you guys expect PS5 and/or Xbox to sell more than the Switch in a weekly basis worldwide? Like I know the Switch is going strong but at the same time it's losing some steam.

Around the Network
123tbones said:

When do you guys expect PS5 and/or Xbox to sell more than the Switch in a weekly basis worldwide? Like I know the Switch is going strong but at the same time it's losing some steam.

When TSMC can make enough. Peak years are certainly going to be later in the life cycle.

PS5 is outselling the Switch in Europe for a couple of weeks, right?

But I don't think Sony will win the week until they have a strong exclusive title AND enough stock.

Kyuu said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

PS5 is outselling the Switch in Europe for a couple of weeks, right?

But I don't think Sony will win the week until they have a strong exclusive title AND enough stock.

An exclusive isn't required until demand is met. Even a million shipped PS5's could be sold within a week for all we know.

Yeah, you're right.

We don't know what numbers the PS5 could reach without any stock issues.

yo33331 said:

Switch begins to losing steam I see. As I expected .. as stock gets better for the PS5 and XBSX, (and holding this level more importantly) they are doing better numbers weekly and therefore the impact on switch sales is becoming visible.

This reasoning doesn't add up; Switch was higher in recent weeks when PS5 and Xbox Series were also higher.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246507/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-sales-climb-global-hardware-july-17-23/1/

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246563/switch-sales-top-111m-ps5-sales-top-22m-global-hardware-july-31-aug-6/1/

We know that Switch is also affected by supply issues so it's more likely that this along with other general variations are responsible for the end number.

123tbones said:

I think the PS5 and Switch will often trade weeks next year and by 2024 it'll outsell it basically every week. For Xbox I'm less certain but by 2024 could maybe outsell it most weeks.