By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb, PS5 Sales Flat - Global Hardware Aug 14-20

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

This reasoning doesn't add up; Switch was higher in recent weeks when PS5 and Xbox Series were also higher.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246507/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-sales-climb-global-hardware-july-17-23/1/

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246563/switch-sales-top-111m-ps5-sales-top-22m-global-hardware-july-31-aug-6/1/

We know that Switch is also affected by supply issues so it's more likely that this along with other general variations are responsible for the end number.

As I've said (and holding this level more importantly).

The impact can't be immediate. But when it becomes kind of a normal level of sales (that on the PS5 and XBSX not being on the previous level - beginning of the year for example) then is when the impact will be seen.

See it other way. Switch fell to 300k and under weekly when ? in around april. Then someone said the same, it's only one time, or it's because of this and that. Then what happened ? Switch returned back to 300k 1 or 2 more times and after that Switch fell under 300k permanently for the weeks to come, hovering around 280k.

Now is falling to 260 and it will probably happen the same thing. It will go back up for a week or two to maybe 280k and then will maintaint 260-270k weekly for a while. However because of holidays coming not that far, it will of course give it a boost and probably by october it will be back to 300k weekly.

The next year is the next time we will see the normal weekly numbers for the system (when not in holiday) - when I expect the sales to fell under 250k weekly.

The Switch is in it's 6th year. A decline is natural and normal. Basically every system ever has been declining (or already dead) in year 6. There's no evidence it's due to the availability of the other consoles.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 August 2022

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

The Switch is in it's 6th year. A decline is natural and normal. Basically every system ever has been declining (or already dead) in year 6. There's no evidence it's due to the availability of the other consoles.

Well guess what? It is taking impact from that too.

From what, being in its 6th year? That's like announcing a person is losing fitness when they turn 80, it's natural.

Switch is on track sell similarly to the peak year of the PS4, in its 6th year, its sales are actually pretty strong for its age.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

From what, being in its 6th year? That's like announcing a person is losing fitness when they turn 80, it's natural.

Switch is on track sell similarly to the peak year of the PS4, in its 6th year, its sales are remarkable for its age.

Yes, and ?

I've said nothing about that, just that it's level is dropping.

A system being passed its peak in year 6 pretty much goes without saying.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

A system being passed its peak in year 6 is such a non-event that it pretty much goes without saying.

I am not saying anything for it's peak. And everyone knows it's past it's peak for more than 1 year now. I don't understand your argument. And why you jump everytime for switch when some word is said for it other than " it will be the best selling system ever ".

I actually don't think the Switch which be the best selling system ever, I think it will finish third behind DS and PS2. 

I simply think you were jumping to an inaccurate conclusion, but if you feel I'm jumping on you, I am happy to just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I actually don't think the Switch which be the best selling system ever, I think it will finish third behind DS and PS2. 

I simply think you were jumping to an inaccurate conclusion, but if you feel I'm jumping on you, I am happy to just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I mean you are jumping everywhere to defend the switch. And I don't know what there is to agree or disagree. I just said that it's slowing down.

I simply disagreed with your conclusions, that's all. It's nothing personal. I have offered to just leave it at that if you want.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I simply disagreed with your conclusions, that's all. It's nothing personal. I have offered to just leave it at that if you want.

You disagree with me that switch is slowing down ? from above 300k weekly to 260k weekly for a few months. Okay.

Jesus Christ, you two!  You both agree that the Switch is declining in sales!

Curl thinks the Switch is only decreasing sales because of its age, not because of the effect of the PS5/XBox Series. 

Yo33331 thinks the PS5/XBox Series consoles are having a more significant influence on the sales decline of the Switch.

That's it, can we move on now?  LOL

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

You disagree with me that switch is slowing down ? from above 300k weekly to 260k weekly for a few months. Okay.

He said like half a dozen times that the Switch is slowing down and why he thinks that is.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 30 August 2022

yo33331 said:

[...]

The next year is the next time we will see the normal weekly numbers for the system (when not in holiday) - when I expect the sales to fell under 250k weekly.

What were your predictions for Switch sales in 2023?  Because those sales numbers would likely account for a minimum 17m year (same thing I predicted in the Switch Sales thread):

Let's say Switch averages 220,000 a week for the first three quarters.  With 13 weeks a quarter that makes about 8.5m by October.  Then factor in Nintendo's 10m+ for the final quarter (let's go low and say 8.5m for 2023 holiday) for a total of at least 17m.  That will be the highest 7th fiscal year for a system ever, surpassing PS2's 14.20m and dwarfing DS' 5.10m fiscal years aligned.

Last edited by archbrix - on 30 August 2022

I looked back. In August of 2015 the Xbox One was selling about 80,000 units per weak globally. The Series X|S is getting 50,000 a week in Europe alone this time around.

Microsoft has to be thrilled with their EU and Asia numbers, it represents a huge increase in marketshare vs the previous generation.

I went back and got all the regions for the same week in 2015, and here is a comparison:

Week of August 15th 2015:
Global: PS4 180,700, Xbox One 80,000
NA: PS4 47,500, Xbox One 44,600
EU: PS4 78,000, Xbox One 20,300
JP: PS4 18,000, Xbox One 202

Week of August 14, 2022:
Global: PS5 213,000, Xbox Series X|S 174,000
US: PS5 94,000, Xbox Series X|S 90,000
EU: PS5 76,000, Xbox Series X|S 53,000
JP: PS5 16,000, Xbox Series X|S 10,000

yo33331 said:
archbrix said:

What were your predictions for Switch sales in 2023?  Because those sales numbers would likely account for a minimum 17m year (same thing I predicted in the Switch Sales thread):

Let's say Switch averages 220,000 a week for the first three quarters.  With 13 weeks a quarter that makes about 8.5m by October.  Then factor in Nintendo's 10m+ for the final quarter (let's go low and say 8.5m for 2023 holiday) for a total of at least 17m.  That will be the highest 7th fiscal year for a system ever, surpassing PS2's 14.20m and dwarfing DS' 5.10m fiscal years aligned.

My predictions for 2023 for the switch (calendar year) were anywhere between 12 and 16M range. (depending on whether there will be announcement for new model/console or price cut, or both.)

As for my post, I am not saying that they will be little under 250k for the whole year. I expect to start selling 250k weekly and under it in january/february. But by the summer or september I expect it can hit low numbers around 200K weekly. Also I don't think that the holiday for 2023 calendar year will be so strong - 8.5M.

With seeing the few last holidays, how they degrade holiday after holiday I expect around 8M this year for the holiday period and for the next (depends on what happens of course - price cut/ new model or new consoles announcement) I expect the holiday to be weaker than this (well if they throw pricecut or new models then it may again be 8 to 10M but I doubt that will happen).

As for surpassing numbers you don't need to worry about the year's number for the PS2 but it's long legs. Also the DS fiscal year that is corresponding with the 2023 or should I say calendar year (because I am not sure for the exact number of the FY) was 9M so yeah Switch will surpass it but not by a huge margin. Something like 3-4-5M. Again I doubt that Nintendo will release new model (that will be surprising such as Pro model - otherwise there wouldn't be big impact on sales) or will make price cut. More likely they can announce the next console which will impact sales of the Switch. But we will wait and see.

I don't think anything below 15m for Switch sales next year is realistic but I believe it will be another pretty big year for the system as far as releases.  I could see 15m-16m low end.

But no, the DS fell hard from 17.52m to 5.1m the following year.  Switch will be going from 21m (projected) to 15m minimum, fiscal years aligned.