By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Lifetime Consoles Showdown: March 2024 (JAPAN)

Will the PS5 outsell PS4?

Yes 4 40.00%

No 6 60.00%

Total:10
DonFerrari said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Again, why don't you actually look at Zhuge's source? Zhuge assumes the PS2 had not declined because it wasn't mentioned but that's not what Sony said at all. Sony said the PS3, Vita, and PSP are the "significant' reasons for the decline. That does not mean the PS2 (a 12 year old console) wasn't also in decline, it just wasn't a "significant" reason for Playstations decline that year. The 159 million is bogus, as for the thread yeah that looks great. Needs updating because we got a PSP figure that was higher than people expected. The Vita is claimed by many on this site to have outsold WiiU, it it did then that puts the PS2 possibly under 158.

If they listed 3 systems (including PSP that was also ending life and PSVita that was very low on sales) as signifcant reason for the decline, PS2 (which was still being sold) not being listed is because whatever decline in sales compared to previous year is because whatever change wasn't significantly down (so most likely flat). You wanting to exclude it and go to 155.1 without anything for the extra year of production is laughable.

Lol, what? This is really not that hard. They listed the 3 systems that would contribute "significantly" to the business decline. PSP was in its 6th or 7th fiscal year and just being replaced (Vita) and PS3 was also at the end of it's life about to be replaced. Dude it's 2013, PS4 is coming later that year and Vita just released the year prior. PS2 was never going to be a significant reason for the business decline, it was 5 years older than any other platform lol. You need to actually read the quote, Sony doesn't say those platforms were significantly down, they said those platforms are the sigificant reasons for why Sony's business has declined. They are literally in their transition period and Vita just flopped, PS2 was never going to be a siginificant reason but that doesn't mean it also declined. If anything, that quote sounds like it did just like all the other hardware but wasn't "siginificant" in the overall business decline. Read the quote, Zhuge isn't a native english speaker, its clear he misinterpreted that quote. What's laughable is you actually believe a 12 year old console was flat in a year missing an entire quarter? I never said exclude it, we don't have the official data. It's 155.1 million as of 2012, which is what Sony says. It's quite interesting how console warriors all of a sudden want to just ignore the platform holder (Sony), so they can push their agenda. Please tell me why we should just ignore Sony continueing to quote the same figure as of 2018? Years after the PS2's death! 

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 19 December 2023

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:

Lol, what? This is really not that hard. They listed the 3 systems that would contribute "significantly" to the business decline. PSP was in its 6th or 7th fiscal year and just being replaced (Vita) and PS3 was also at the end of it's life about to be replaced. Dude it's 2013, PS4 is coming later that year and Vita just released the year prior. PS2 was never going to be a significant reason for the business decline, it was 5 years older than any other platform lol. What's laughable is you actually believe a 12 year old console was flat in a year missing an entire quarter? I never said exclude it, we don't have the official data. It's 155.1 million as of 2012, which is what Sony says. It's quite interesting how console warriors all of a sudden want to just ignore the platform holder (Sony), so they can push their agenda. Please tell me why we should just ignore Sony continueing to quote the same figure as of 2018? Years after the PS2's death! 

I only see one console warrior in this discussion.  I see everyone else using cautious figures to insure that when and if the Switch passes the PS2, it passes the PS2 with little to no doubt about it.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Lol, what? This is really not that hard. They listed the 3 systems that would contribute "significantly" to the business decline. PSP was in its 6th or 7th fiscal year and just being replaced (Vita) and PS3 was also at the end of it's life about to be replaced. Dude it's 2013, PS4 is coming later that year and Vita just released the year prior. PS2 was never going to be a significant reason for the business decline, it was 5 years older than any other platform lol. What's laughable is you actually believe a 12 year old console was flat in a year missing an entire quarter? I never said exclude it, we don't have the official data. It's 155.1 million as of 2012, which is what Sony says. It's quite interesting how console warriors all of a sudden want to just ignore the platform holder (Sony), so they can push their agenda. Please tell me why we should just ignore Sony continueing to quote the same figure as of 2018? Years after the PS2's death! 

I only see one console warrior in this discussion.  I see everyone else using cautious figures to insure that when and if the Switch passes the PS2, it passes the PS2 with little to no doubt about it.  

Cautios figures? How are made up figures with no official sourse cautios figures? Those figures are console warrior figures, my figures are the cautios ones, since they were not pulled out my butt. What is cautios about that range 159 to 161 million? He has a dubious source and even on this site those figures aren't mentioned. I know you want to defend your fellow fanbase but do a better job next time and recognize when your friends are pulling crap out of thin air.

Phenomajp13 said:

Cautios figures? How are made up figures with no official sourse cautios figures? Those figures are console warrior figures, my figures are the cautios ones, since they were pulled out my butt. What is cautios about that range 159 to 161 million? He has a dubious source and even on this site those figures aren't mentioned. I know you want to defend your fellow fanbase but do a better job next time and recognize when your friends are pulling crap out of thin air.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

No reply, so you resort to memes lol. So are you going to explain how figures pulled from thin air are cautios but figures from Sony (Playstaion's owner) are unreliable? All I said was that the figures people are giving are unsourced. Is it true that PS2 probably sold more, absolutely! Do we have any official figures, no. Yet dude is allowed to pull out this make believe range, which he will use to make the PS2 a moving target to his consent. It's really not that hard to see, you just chose not to because you are a fellow playstation fan. So of course you could careless about Sony's official figure because you also want to put the PS2 as high as possible with no source. Sony continues to repeat 155.1 as of March 2012, maybe you all should be asking why is that? Why report anything at all if you don't care? For all we know its a correction, which Sony has done before. We don't know if what im saying but you claim people posting unofficial sourses is cautios? That makes no sense, im the cautios one.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:

It's really not that hard to see, you just chose not to because you are a fellow playstation fan. .

Ah yes. DroidKnight is certainly the most rabid of PlayStation fans. 🤔

Zippy6 said:
Phenomajp13 said:

It's really not that hard to see, you just chose not to because you are a fellow playstation fan. .

Ah yes. DroidKnight is certainly the most rabid of PlayStation fans. 🤔

It's funny how you all have done nothing to dispute what I say and instead focus so much on the things I call you? I called him that because he said. He literally called unsourced figures cautios? Like how in the world can you defend that? The dude he protected is a well known console warrior, do I really need to pull up the receipts for him? 

Phenomajp13 said:

No reply, so you resort to memes lol. So are you going to explain how figures pulled from thin air are cautios but figures from Sony (Playstaion's owner) are unreliable? All I said was that the figures people are giving are unsourced. Is it true that PS2 probably sold more, absolutely! Do we have any official figures, no. Yet dude is allowed to pull out this make believe range, which he will use to make the PS2 a moving target to his consent. It's really not that hard to see, you just chose not to because you are a fellow playstation fan. So of course you could careless about Sony's official figure because you also want to put the PS2 as high as possible with no source. Sony continues to repeat 155.1 as of March 2012, maybe you all should be asking why is that? Why report anything at all if you don't care? For all we know its a correction, which Sony has done before. We don't know if what im saying but you claim people posting unofficial sourses is cautios? That makes no sense, im the cautios one.

Put it like this. Does PS2 sold units after march of 2012 ? Yes. How much they can be ? Probably no more than 4M (I also agree if PS2 reached 160M Sony should announce it. Therefore we can assume PS2 didn't reach 160M). So having around 4M the fiscal year before, it's safe to assume PS2 did at least 1 or 2M right ? So we can calculate anywhere between 157M and 159M. And yes, it is not official, there is no source. However which is more likely ? PS2 not selling single unit and calling it 155.1M (the number from march 2012) or calculate it just like the chances are that it sold some units, how much ? 2 to 4M is a safe bet. And of course if Switch gets to 157 or 158M (which I think it won't) it can have outsold the PS2 by that point. However since Sony didn't announce exact number, it's debatable how much exact units are sold. Are there 157 or 158 or 159M ? So just to safely say with confidence the Switch has outsold PS2 and there can't be any debate whatsoever everyone is going with the safe target of around 158/159M. This is way more normal and safe to say and to be closer to reality than is to say Switch outsold the PS2 when it passes the 155.1M, because that just won't be the case. Cuz if the Switch is at 155.5M you can't say it outsold the PS2. Cuz it's impossible the PS2 has sold only 400k for example, after march 2012, having in mind that it sold more than 4M the year prior. Switch reaching 156M is also not confirming it's outsold the PS2, cuz the chances are very big PS2 sold more than 900k after march 2012. And sure if Switch reach 157 or 158M it is debatable because the PS2 numbers weren't disclosed officially. That's why everyone is telling you that the safest target for the Switch is at least 159M because at that point it's more than sure Switch would have outsold the PS2. Anything in the range of 155 and 159M is debatable and can't be 100% confirmed for either console, who has sold more of the two.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 19 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Put it like this. Does PS2 sold units after march of 2012 ? Yes. How much they can be ? Probably no more than 4M (I also agree if PS2 reached 160M Sony should announce it. Therefore we can assume PS2 didn't reach 160M). So having around 4M the fiscal year before, it's safe to assume PS2 did at least 1 or 2M right ? So we can calculate anywhere between 157M and 159M. And yes, it is not official, there is no source. However which is more likely ? PS2 not selling single unit and calling it 155.1M (the number from march 2012) or calculate it just like the chances are that it sold some units, how much ? 2 to 4M is a safe bet. And of course if Switch gets to 157 or 158M (which I think it won't) it can have outsold the PS2 by that point. However since Sony didn't announce exact number, it's debatable how much exact units are sold. Are there 157 or 158 or 159M ? So just to safely say with confidence the Switch has outsold PS2 and there can't be any debate whatsoever everyone is going with the safe target of around 158/159M. This is way more normal and safe to say and to be closer to reality than is to say Switch outsold the PS2 when it passes the 155.1M, because that just won't be the case. Cuz if the Switch is at 155.5M you can't say it outsold the PS2. Cuz it's impossible the PS2 has sold only 400k for example, after march 2012, having in mind that it sold more than 4M the year prior. Switch reaching 156M is also not confirming it's outsold the PS2, cuz the chances are very big PS2 sold more than 900k after march 2012. And sure if Switch reach 157 or 158M it is debatable because the PS2 numbers weren't disclosed officially. That's why everyone is telling you that the safest target for the Switch is at least 159M because at that point it's more than sure Switch would have outsold the PS2. Anything in the range of 155 and 159M is debatable and can be 100% confirmed for either console, who has sold more of the two.

See this is a great post, I fully agree. What bothers me about you sometimes is that you let your console cheerleading for Sony get in the way of great post you are clearly capable of. This post here just completely proved when you pull out your ranges of 159 to 161 million is proof of you moving the goal post just in case PS2 is threaten, no one is blind it is obvious. You are on record under shooting Switch, so you can stop with the confidence of where it's going to land. You predicted in April 2023 that Switch's Japan sales would be closer to DS's 2.8 million than Wii's 4 million. You were talking to Curl about how you had to adjust up your prediction for Switch when he called you out for consistently undershooting Switch. I wish you could just stick to the facts and figures and put an end to the obvious Switch hate. You contribute quite a bit to the site that shows you are capable of great post but then turnaround and make console warrior post. 

Phenomajp13 said:

See this is a great post, I fully agree. What bothers me about you sometimes is that you let your console cheerleading for Sony get in the way of great post you are clearly capable of. This post here just completely proved when you pull out your ranges of 159 to 161 million is proof of you moving the goal post just in case PS2 is threaten, no one is blind it is obvious. You are on record under shooting Switch, so you can stop with the confidence of where it's going to land. You predicted in April 2023 that Switch's Japan sales would be closer to DS's 2.6 million than Wii's 4 million. You were talking to Curl about how you had to adjust up your prediction for Switch when he called you out. I wish you could just stick to the facts and figures and put an end to the obvious Switch hate. You contribute quite a bit to the site that shows you are capable of great post but then turnaround and make console warrior post. 

So you are some old users who just is posting from new account or has been banned before maybe ?

I am pulling ranges between 159 and 161 because that has been calculated and approved by many people on the web and even here. Another reason is that if Switch lands in this range it will again outsold PS2 without a debate (160 and 161M namely) That is why this range stays. I also think PS2 is at 159M. And I am not moving anything. I am not shooting Switch, I am telling my opinions and projections which almost every time are coming true. When Switch was at it's peak period I said 25M for 2021. Is that shooting ? Is that bad projection ? No. It even was highball since it did 24M that year. About my prediction for Japan earlier this year I said somewhere around 3.5M not 2.6M. I don't know where are you getting your infos.. And I said 3.5M because it's normal to be in decline and most of the people here even the Switch fans, also predicted decline in sales with similar projections. You can't blame me. As it turns out Switch did have stronger than normal year in Japan, therefore I slightly adjusted my prediction. What wrong there is about that ? Hundreds of people are making wrong predictions all the time for all the consoles, with being off the target by much much more than I was here. And in the end I was still in a close range to the real result. Also there is no Switch hate for me. As I already told, When it's selling well I make high predictions for it. When I think it is on decline, then of course I will make lower predictions. I even have written that I like the system and have plans to buy one back in 2021. And guess what? I did get one. So there is no reason for me to hate on Switch. Everything positively or negatively you see I am saying is my opinions and predictions of what I think will happen. Not that I will always like what will happen. There is a difference.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 19 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts