By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo been a bit "stale" lately?

Has Nintendo been "boring" lately?

Yes, definitely. 20 28.99%

Yeah, maybe a little. 14 20.29%

I dunno. 4 5.80%

Naw, probably not. 10 14.49%

No, definitely not. 21 30.43%

Total:69

We're going on nearly 7 months of a Nintendo Direct based on a showcase of Nintendo's own titles. We've had individual Nintendo games with their own direct or third party directs. But not a showcase from Nintendo in that long.

September or October really needs a big Nintendo Direct. I don't want to wait until November or December.

So, I suppose that makes things feel stale. Still, Nintendo has had a strong 2022. It's 2023 I'm worried about because it's so unknown. On the other hand, tons of Nintendo games don't get announced until they're 3-6 months out, so there's tons of time. And I suppose anything could happen with BOTW 2 at this point, as I really thought it would release in 2021 or 2022. I don't want to say I'm 99% sure it will launch in 2023. But I'm 90-95% sure.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

We're going on nearly 7 months of a Nintendo Direct based on a showcase of Nintendo's own titles. We've had individual Nintendo games with their own direct or third party directs. But not a showcase from Nintendo in that long.

September or October really needs a big Nintendo Direct. I don't want to wait until November or December.

So, I suppose that makes things feel stale. Still, Nintendo has had a strong 2022. It's 2023 I'm worried about because it's so unknown. On the other hand, tons of Nintendo games don't get announced until they're 3-6 months out, so there's tons of time. And I suppose anything could happen with BOTW 2 at this point, as I really thought it would release in 2021 or 2022. I don't want to say I'm 99% sure it will launch in 2023. But I'm 90-95% sure.

What worries you about 2023?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Mar1217 said:
Jumpin said:

What worries you about 2023?

Same reason as to why people were scared of 2021 and 2022 before the Holidays. It's because Nintendo keeps their hands close their chest so we usually don't know much about an upcoming year before we've had a Directs in September and February at this point.

It's the same every year: "OMG Nintendo hasn't announced anything for next year yet! That means they aren't going to release anything next year! Nintendo is doomed!!!"

mZuzek said:
Hiku said:
Ultravolt said:

Yeah from the gameplay i've seen, it looks more like an action game similar to Metal Gear Rising. Maybe it has RPG elements? But it certainly doesn't look like a full-blown JRPG. At least not from what I can tell.

It's categorized as an action rpg by the ones who made it.
On the game cover.

In the promotional material.

Is it the "J" part that's contested? In that case I guess our definitions of Jrpg may be different.
Though looking up the term on Wikipedia, it lists action-rpgs as examples of notable Jrpgs.

Either way, Ultravolt if you haven't played a japanese action rpg before, then maybe this is something you can get into.

Yeah it's an ARPG for sure. Whereas JRPG usually refers to turn-based games, at least that's what I always thought it meant.

So is Final Fantasy VII Remake not a JRPG in your book?

If it is, then so is Nier Automata. If it isn't, really? 

If JRPG only referred to turn based games then the overwhelming majority of JRPGs released in the last decade aren't JRPGs. That includes games like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy XV/VII Remake, and Tales Of. 

mZuzek said:

I... guess? I haven't played most of these so I don't know. I didn't write the book, anyway. Just thought that's what people referred to, traditionally the games most obviously associated with that term are the likes of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and such, all classic and famous turn-based RPGs. Nier Automata plays nothing like them, it feels more like an action game (like anything by Platinum), only with RPG elements thrown onto it.

As for Xenoblade while I've seen and played very little of it, I think you still battle by navigating menus in those, right? So you press the button to command your character to do an attack, as opposed to the button causing the attack directly. Maybe this is the difference between a JRPG and ARPG, in "my book".

The genre really has less to do with the battle system and more to do with plot design, gameplay and plot tropes, and (decreasingly important/distinctive) level design.

Terranigma on the SNES, for example, was a JRPG even though it has an action-style combat system, because it had the common tropes of the genre (at the time: overworld maps, linear and scripted storyline, limited character customization mostly done via equipment, etc.)  

Tales of Symphonia, another action role playing game, was also a JRPG because it had all of the JRPG tropes. 

Likewise, Final Fantasy VII Remake is no less of a JRPG than the title it is remaking, despite its combat system being as action-oriented as Nier Automata's unlike the original's which was turn-based. 

Xenoblade Chronicles has a real-time MMO-like battle system. It plays more like World of Warcraft than it does say Dragon Quest. There are some turn-based elements (chain attacks), but it is still very much a real-time system. Xenoblade Chronicles is still a JRPG (unlike World of Warcraft) because it has the same plot design, gameplay and plot tropes, etc as other JRPGs.  

What makes WRPGs different is that they focus very much on role-playing in terms of character specialization and far less on a linear, scripted storyline (instead opting for branching options and player-choice influencing events.) They don't have any of the plot/story tropes that JRPGs tend to share.

Around the Network

It's hard to do new things when the hardware is so limiting. Nintendo is now pushing over 10 years of the same visual style. Wii U to Switch. This is how you'd feel if the Xbox 360 was entering its eleventh year meanwhile the competition was playing PS4 for 5 years already.

Alistair said:

It's hard to do new things when the hardware is so limiting. Nintendo is now pushing over 10 years of the same visual style. Wii U to Switch. This is how you'd feel if the Xbox 360 was entering its eleventh year meanwhile the competition was playing PS4 for 5 years already.

So many folks have been saying this for so long. The graphical limitations have nothing to do with Nintendo seeming stale. Metroid Dread looks amazing and is definitely not stale. The new BOTW will blow our minds, and yes, will release on that old hardware. If this claim hasn’t been being made literally since launch I might have a tendency to believe it more, but when that’s folk’s first move, it loses its impact. The difference between each generation is getting smaller and smaller, and while certain gamers eat that up, many gamers like myself don’t care that much. As long as the core gameplay experience is top notch, I’m good. 

Alistair said:

Most of the types of games I like to see was in the past produced for for handhelds with a lot more limiting hardware compared to the stationary consoles, I think the hardware is more limiting for being too powerful rather than the other way around. It takes more effort making the games look ok in comparison.