By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo been a bit "stale" lately?

Has Nintendo been "boring" lately?

Yes, definitely. 20 28.99%

Yeah, maybe a little. 14 20.29%

I dunno. 4 5.80%

Naw, probably not. 10 14.49%

No, definitely not. 21 30.43%

Total:69
Mar1217 said:

Well, stale is not the word you should go for when your argument rests upon your tastes cuz look at it objectively, they've published and released way more games this year than any publisher.

Will you like them all ? No, of course cuz your taste dictate what you take and don't.
Imagine how I felt about 2020 during the pandemic where everyone was enjoying Animal Crossing and I was like "'K guess I'll play some indies and on my 3DS"

This year to me has been bountiful like no other year in the Switch cycle imo. I'm litteraly forced to skip temporarily games I wanted to play because some are just more prolific to my eyes.

Maybe I'll feel differently for next year who knows but f**k I'm loving the great gaming life right now !

Don't get me wrong, I do think that their lineup is strong on an objective level. I'm sure it's just my tastes not lining up with it. I WISH I could feel the way you're feeling and be excited again. More power to you! Maybe next year for me.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

Sounds like a you problem tbh. Im very much looking forward to most of the games you mentioned.

Yeah, maybe. The lineup's just not clicking with me, sad to say. Glad you feel differently. I wish I did too.

Although I agree they have been, so has Sony and Microsoft... or maybe I am just getting too old to get exited about anything coming out.

I think Nintendo has a pretty solid lineup this year and I wouldn't say their release lineup is much more or less "stale" than usual. Seems to me that the games releasing just aren't your cup of tea, which is absolutely fine. Personally, I'm pretty excited about some of the games that have come out and some that are going to come out over the next couple months.

I guess it depends on what you define as stale. Not everyone will think that way. For me, it’s hard for me to think of this year for Nintendo as stale. Pokémon Legends Arceus and Kirby and the Forgotten Land are certainly different from their usual mainline predecessors.

Splatoon 3 may sound stale for some, but with Splatoon 2 not having much fanfare for two years or so and with new additions, QoL changes, and changes in the online structure (Nintendo using their new in house online structure that MHR is using), this should give a boost to the Splatoon community.

Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes gives Three Houses fans (and FE fans in general) at least one more chance to interact with the beloved cast of Fodlan.

Xenoblade 3 closes the saga that started with Xenoblade 1 and apparently a lot of people really like this game.

Mario Strikers Battle League apparently has its issues (don’t have the game yet), but it works fine gameplay wise and it’s nice to see it back after people waiting for a new game since the Wii days. Same with Switch Sports (though it’s last entry was Wii Sports Club on Wii U).

Soon we’ll have Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Bayonetta 3. A JRPG game that seeks to take the next step into open world and a long awaited, and almost impossible, sequel to a niche, but beloved, action series.

I think what threw people off was that Nintendo pretty much showed the majority of their lineup back in February 2022. So it would’ve been hard to repeat the same games on a general summer direct unless they were ready to talk about games coming in 2023, which apparently they aren’t yet. Unfortunately things happen. Advance Wars reboot was supposed to release in April but got delayed indefinitely due to circumstances outside of Nintendo’s control. BOTW 2 got delayed to Spring 2023. Not much we can do.

Regardless, Nintendo has been busy this year. They publish more games almost annually than any other publisher (including the other first party devs). I didn’t even mention games like Live A Live, which apparently they had a hand in influencing Square Enix to remake the game in HD2D, or the MK8D DLC.

Around the Network
Ultravolt said:

I've been feeling this way for most of the year now, and can't really shake the feeling. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up or anything, nor do I want to get hate for this. The only game I enjoyed from them this year was Kirby. I will admit that, on an objective level, Nintendo's second half of 2022 is fairly strong. Xenoblade 3 to start things off, then Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. Can't ignore Pokemon either. You'd think that i'd be excited, but in all honestly, none of the games listed have piqued my interest. You're probably thinking I should broaden my horizons a bit. Well... I know for a fact I can't get into JRPG's no matter how hard I try. Played Bayonetta 1, and the gameplay didn't really click with me. I own the first Splatoon and enjoyed it. However, it was also the first (and only) Nintendo game I have ever regretted buying on day one. Not enough content, and the second and third games in the series just don't look that much *more* than the first. Mario + Rabbids may be the only game that I can see myself enjoying, since the first one was good.

It's not really just the games, either. The lack of a main Direct this summer has definitely contributed to this feeling. We know BotW 2 is coming out first half of next year, and Metroid Prime 4 somewhere down the line. Unfortunately, we haven't heard much regarding these games. Just... radio silence. Switch hardware is also started to show its age, so I think some kind of revision, or even a true next-gen leap, would be great now. But nope. Nothing from them. Just the same old, same old. I dunno, maybe all I need is the announcement of one hype game, or the true reveal of BotW 2 or MP4 to feel excited again. For now, i'm kind of indifferent to whatever Nintendo's doing. I'm thinking maybe i'll pick up Nier Automata on Switch when it comes out. Looks like a competent port. Mario Rabbids is still TBD.

Just needed to vent a bit, since (in MY opinion) Nintendo's been a bit "boring" as of late. There's just not much there for me, personally. Many of their first-party games coming out are quite niche, too. So I can't be the only one who feels like this? Right?? Maybe I am lol.

I disagree. If this year is stale, then what about the past 4 years. I think you simply miss Nintendo Directs and the hype around games. Or maybe u need a break from games bcuz what other company is giving us more content than Nintendo this year? If Nintendo is stale this year, the gaming space must be dry af to you. I think this year is quite the opposite of stale. Like some ppl said, it depends on your preference, and urs is just an unpopular opinion. I'm excited for most games coming this year bcuz I only recently got myself a switch. My first Splatoon, excited for Bayonetta 3 the most, and Pokemon is also in my radar. 

I feel like the Pokémon output has been above average but Mario and Zelda are definitely MIA.

Also, almost everything looks made on a really tight budget.

I don't think that Nintendo has been stale, personally. Tastes are going to differ, of course, but Pokemon Legends: Arceus was a great start to the year for me. If you haven't played it, I recommend it (I gave it an 8 on this site). I also really enjoyed Kirby and I've been enjoying Xenoblade 3 so far (stay tuned for the review!).

BotW 2 missing 2022 definitely felt like a loss, but with Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Kirby: The Forgotten Land, Switch Sports, Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem Three Hopes, Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids 2, Pokemon S/V, and Bayonetta 3 all releasing in one year, I think that it's still quite a good year.

I honestly feel like people don't appreciate how much Nintendo does put out. In 2019, 2021, and 2022 Nintendo has put out more than Sony and MS combined. Not saying Nintendo is "better" of course because tastes are so different, but I feel that has to be respected.

Yes. Other than Switch sports there isn’t much I liked so far this year.
In general Switch is having a good year though.

Sort of just feels like what Nintendo is putting out right now isn't your cup of tea. And that happens. Not gonna please everyone.

For me personally, I Arceus and Kirby were the best entries in their respective franchises in quite a while. Xenoblade 3 seems good so far. Very excited for Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Mario and Rabbids, and cautiously optimistic for Pokemon Scarlet.

Assuming those games all turn out well, 7 games I really enjoy in a year (8 if you count Triangle Strategy) is pretty darn good.