By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo been a bit "stale" lately?

Has Nintendo been "boring" lately?

Yes, definitely. 20 28.99%

Yeah, maybe a little. 14 20.29%

I dunno. 4 5.80%

Naw, probably not. 10 14.49%

No, definitely not. 21 30.43%

Total:69

I wouldn't say stale more so playing it safe. Wish they would every generation take one punt on creating a new IP for the adult gamer. I don't mind that their games are family oriented but would love to see them expand more so into the adult genre. I know we get some 2rd party support but most of it is half arsed either via not getting the full game on the cart) or just poor efforts (i.e. FIFA)

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Ultravolt said:

Don't get me wrong, I do think that their lineup is strong on an objective level. I'm sure it's just my tastes not lining up with it. I WISH I could feel the way you're feeling and be excited again. More power to you! Maybe next year for me.

I'm not worried for you to be honest. Once they show the first real teaser/trailer for Metroid Prime 4, you'll be geedy as all hell 😋

Ohhh DEFINITELY.. you can bet on that haha!

This is always a quiet time of year. The summer holiday sales are over, and there's a release gap until October/November when the Christmas releases come out.

In terms of what they are releasing... I actually prefer Nintendo to exercise some smaller franchises. If they start releasing too much Mario and Zelda then... they'll definitely become stale!

I feel the same. For some reason nothing from big N this year is hype for me.
There are big titles but nothing that gets me exited to play and the only game I want to get, Advance Wars Re-Boot camp, got delayed.
Or maybe I just miss a summer-direct with multiple announcements and a preview of games that I'm not usually into as a way to get me interested.
I do however fully enjoy the new Mario Kart tracks.

Things that could make me exited:
Zelda oracle games remake in the same style as Links Awakening.
A new Ace attorney game. (Not Nintendo but usually first on their platforms)
Anything from Retro Studios.
New F-zero.
New game in the Hotel dusk series.
New IP with a concept I find interesting.
GBA or GameCube games on switch online.
... ect

Xenoblade 3 is like one of the best games this year. GOTY contender.

Around the Network

Yeah this year has had a lot of games come out but most haven't appealed to me either. This year just feels really off with no big summer direct. If Pokemon is the only holiday game again then I will be disappointed.

Yea, if we mean this year specifically I think I'd have to agree. Kirby and the Forgotten Land is the big exception, which outdid my expectations quite a bit, but you can't give Nintendo themselves too much credit for that when it's developed by HAL. Arceus is another one that certainly wasn't "stale" (whether you liked it or not) but again that's Game Freak rather than Nintendo, and they also decided to dive straight into the next mainline title, which doesn't really peak my interest based on trailers. It also doesn't help that there has only been 1 full Direct so far, though I assume they'll still have a fall one at some point.

But oh well, there's certainly still plenty of games to play from now till mid 2023. And to be fair Nintendo did have a really solid title in Metroid Dread at the end of last year and should have another extremely solid one in the BotW Sequel early next year.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Nintendo hasn't been a volume developer in decades. I am personally fine with that, given their quality. I wouldn't want to be a Nintendo only owner, but paired with the ps5 I have more games than I need. For me Kirby was very nice. Triangle was absolutely amazing and my personal GotY. Xeno just launched. We have Bayo 3 and Rabbids 2 coming out still. Front Mission Remake is high on my list as well. Overall, I can't complain.

Edit

I was disappointed with the Advance Wars delay.  That kind of sucks and seems unnecessary.  

Well no, I’m really enjoying this year. I picked up and played a number of RPGs and Adventure titles on sale this year, plus got Live A Live and Xenoblade Chronicles 3, as well as a few interesting more experimental titles.

On Breath of the Wild 2. It’s coming out in April-June 2023, it seems kind of pointless/counter-productive to advertise so far before its release. That’d be Wii U era level marketing incompetence—don’t get me wrong, I loved Iwata and felt he was great at driving a hardware concept like the Wii—and was fantastic at giving us an inner-look into the development histories of games, and the people involved (Iwata Asks are a priceless resource even to this day). But in the Wii U era (and later Wii/early 3DS era), his marketing department began to focus on most heavily promoting games that weren’t going to be available for a long time—it seemed like excitement levels were heaviest about games like 1-2 years before release, rather than in the lead up to a release. Future games kept eclipsing the current release window. There was always this feeling like the present schedule didn’t matter, and the exciting games were coming out way in the future. One thing I’ve liked about Switch is that it feels a lot like SNES and PSX, that what’s releasing now is important, what’s already released is relevant.

Also, why so much focus on waiting for Nintendo Directs for news and updates when there’s a constant stream of that the Switch News Channel? There are features every day, and each week they do a review of sales and new releases. A steady stream of news, details, and features on games that are actually relevant. Also, Directs are somewhat shallow on information most of the time—the News Channel is much more informative, giving better breakdowns about what games are actually about as well as having all sorts of media. And, unlike Directs, the News channel has remained consistent with content and quality across years. The best part about it is it’s generally about the stuff you can either already play, or will be able to play in the next month. While there is the occasional story about distant future stuff, they focus more on being informative and adding to the intrigue rather than the Wii U era strategy of hyping distant future stuff and dulling the blade of their present content.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 22 August 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Automata is gaming bliss.