By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony no longer reporting PS4 shipments, Final Official total 117.00m

Will PS5 outsell PS4

Yes 23 23.71%

No 74 76.29%

Total:97

I think others have all made good points. We have 3 generations of data now that suggests the absolute ceiling for the global console market is about 300 million units, and there is no sign that that has been increasing.

The PS4 benefitted immensely from both Nintendo and Microsoft being no shows for the 8th generation, but now in the 9th generation Sony faces robust competitive pressure from both Nintendo and Microsoft. In fact I can’t remember a console generation when all major participants had hyper competitive offerings.

The PS5 needed to be selling at least on par with the PS4 launch aligned up until now to have had any chance to outsell it, being several million units behind not even two years into a generation is a huge hole to have to have to climb out of. I just don’t see the path forward for the PS5 to outsell the PS4. There is just way too much competition in a market that isn’t growing, and frankly I think this is a large part of the reason why Sony is committing so heavily to PC now.

Around the Network

I thought it'd get to at least 118m but the sales collapse really was very swift. While it could've gotten to the 120's with different circumstances 117m is still a fantastic result placing the PS4 in the top 5 best selling systems ever.

kazuyamishima said:

The site is so biased, that a lot of people expect the PS5 to sell less than the PS4, even if Sony themselves said they expect PS5 shipments to surpass PS4 shipments (launch aligned) in 2023.

And Sony themselves killed the PS4, they are the only ones to made it collapse.

It's not bias to think the PS5 will sell less than the PS4. The latter did fantastic so thinking the former will do great but not outright fantastic really shouldn't come across as bias when the competition is a lot stronger this time. Also Sony expecting something doesn't mean it's gonna happen and even if it regains the lead it can still lose it again years later since sales curves can differ a lot.

What's this, a console sales thread? Feel like 2012

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

A shame it ended at 117 million, unless Sony gives us an update next quarter. Even so it won't be getting much more. I think most of us were thinking the PS4 would end at 120M-125M right around the time the PS5 was launching.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

well... people often forget the PS2 didn't get to where it did without getting the occasional price drop. And right now the PS4 really hasnt had a price drop. So if Sony wanted to keep the ball rolling, they could easily cut the price by 50-100. But PS4 are also cheap on the 2nd hand market that if anyone really wanted one... they can just go that route (w/games).

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Collapsed way faster than anyone expected beforehand.

False. I expected 115-125m years before the PS5 launched, I also expected 115-120m one or 2 years before the PS5 launched. It collapsed exactly as I predicted.

kazuyamishima said:

The site is so biased, that a lot of people expect the PS5 to sell less than the PS4, even if Sony themselves said they expect PS5 shipments to surpass PS4 shipments (launch aligned) in 2023.

And Sony themselves killed the PS4, they are the only ones to made it collapse.

PS5 has to play catch up. Because of the dire shipment issues the PS5 may never beat the PS4. The PS5 will probably have more years on the market, given industry trends, but the sales deficit so far will affect final LTD numbers quite severely. The PS5 could have been at 30m+ by now.

darthv72 said:

well... people often forget the PS2 didn't get to where it did without getting the occasional price drop. And right now the PS4 really hasnt had a price drop. So if Sony wanted to keep the ball rolling, they could easily cut the price by 50-100. But PS4 are also cheap on the 2nd hand market that if anyone really wanted one... they can just go that route (w/games).

I think it’s because Sony hasn’t really produced that many PS4s anymore. It’s all about allocating resources to get more PS5s to market. So no point in lowering the price of a last Gen console. Especially if it isn’t gonna make great returns with a lower price point.

Sony did a great job turning around its brand with the latter half of the PS3’s life all the way to the entire life of the PS4. 117-118 million LT units to be top 5 all time in LT console sales is amazing.

PS4 will go down as one of my favorite consoles, 117 million is an excellent amount of hardware sold. Would it have been nice to see it reach even higher? Sure, but it had a great run after 9 years. I'm looking forward to the 9th gen really taking off and seeing what PlayStation and its partners produce over the next 5-7 years for PS5.

This is kinda irrelevant but I noticed Sony and Nintendo's top consoles are neck to neck.
PS2 & DS - 158.7m & 154m
PS4 & GB - 117m & 118.7m
PS & Wii - 102.5m & 101.6m
PSP & GBA - 80.8m & 81.5m
And some other close ones

darthv72 said:

Adjusted for inflation consoles have never been cheaper, Sony likely couldn’t drop the price anymore than they did. The $250 the PS4 was going for before the shortages would have been equivalent to roughly $175 in 2006. The $200 digital only Xbox One would have been equivalent to spending $140 for a console in 2006.