By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 110M, PS5 Tops 21M - Global Hardware July 3-9

Chrkeller said:

I stand by my previous assessment. Switch is third all time. I do not see it catching the DS and ps2.

Most likely. If Nintendo really wanted to tho, they can make the switch pass the DS and the PS2 by just decreasing price or releasing a switch pro that includes in the switch family. Console sale numbers don't really matter tho other than accomplishing something, getting people talking about it, and company pride. There is a possibility for anything, but realistically speaking it would not surpass the DS PS2.

Around the Network
Shatts said:

Most likely. If Nintendo really wanted to tho, they can make the switch pass the DS and the PS2 by just decreasing price or releasing a switch pro that includes in the switch family. Console sale numbers don't really matter tho other than accomplishing something, getting people talking about it, and company pride. There is a possibility for anything, but realistically speaking it would not surpass the DS PS2.

The same is true for both PS2 and DS as well. And even every other successfull console too.

If the company that makes them have decided to reach higher number they could do more.

Chrkeller said:

I stand by my previous assessment. Switch is third all time. I do not see it catching the DS and ps2.

It's entirely down to Nintendo, if they want to break the record then Switch will. However if they do a Sony PS4 and never drop the price when sales significantly decline then cut production once the successor hits the market then Switch will be 3rd place.

Chrkeller said:

It depends on if it can reach 125 million by the end of the fiscal year, and have another 20+ million year next year. If so, it has a shot

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

yo33331 said:
Shatts said:

The same is true for both PS2 and DS as well. And even every other successfull console too.

If the company that makes them have decided to reach higher number they could do more.

Exactly, that's why I said console sale numbers don't really matter to the company. 

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through July 9

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to July 13)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to July 11)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to July 10)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to July 9)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 3.96 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 939,335 units (+31.1%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 510,551 units (-94.1%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 8.22 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 2,719,687 units (-24.9%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 4.06 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,476,395 units (-26.7%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.38 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,175,146 (-75.6%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Chrkeller said:

This assumes that Nintendo won't allow Switch to run the natural course of a console life and instead kills it prematurely.

The sales trajectory of Switch doesn't necessitate a successor before or during the fiscal year that ends March 2025, so the most logical timing would be a holiday launch in 2025. That's enough time to reach and surpass 160m in lifetime sales.

If Nintendo decides to do a mid-gen upgrade of the hardware, then 160m will be a piece of cake because the launch date of a successor will be pushed back further.

Of the above three options, the middle one is the most probable one. Nintendo is wary of the inevitable transition period between Switch and its successor, so it would be preposterous if they didn't allow Switch and its successor to run side by side for a while akin the 3DS to Switch transition. Likewise, a successful transition necessitates high profile first party software during year 1 of the successor and given what Switch is still getting right now, a 2024 launch of a successor would most likely feel rushed. A 2023 launch would be insane anyway.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

If Nintendo can push off a Switch successor until 2025, I can definitely see it passing PS2 & DS. Switch could even potentially beat PS4+Xbox One combined (about 169 million max for those 2 combined most likely).

Frankly, I can't see a successor launching before 2025 (and I hope it doesn't get announced until 2025 as well). I actually think we will get a Switch revision in March 2023 alongside BOTW 2. Basically a Game Boy Color/DSi/New 3DS sort of situation.

Late 2025 is also good enough to guarantee that the successor has a solid first year. We could see 2D Mario, Mario Kart and Pokemon Gen 10 in Late 2025 for the new system. Although I could see Gen 10 still being playable on the regular Switch akin to how GS was playable on GBC & GB (even though Switch to a Switch successor is a new generation whereas GB to GBC seemingly is not). Then we could see games like Animal Crossing and Smash Bros in 2026. Honestly, Switch 2 has a good chance of having a bigger first year than Switch did.

I really want the Switch to be the best selling console of all time. Number 1. It can achieve it Nintendo is probably aiming for 200k lifetime and their software is still pulling amazing numbers we will have Xenoblade chronicles 3 this month, and Breath of the Wild 2/Splatoon 3/Bayonetta 3 and more bangers.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

The earliest I can see a Switch successor coming is Holiday 2024, but I can also see it being pushed to 2025.
Since there's no competition for Nintendo to worry about like with the PSP or Vita, which is why the DS came out in 2004 and effectively cut the GBA's life short, or why the 3DS came out in 2011 even thought the DS was coming off a 20 million year and still had plenty of juice left.
This time around, since there's no real, direct competition in the handheld (or hybrid) market, they can take their time and squeeze every last drop they can out of the Switch before they formally move on to the next system.