By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts June 2022 Discussion Thread

Just want to say that I find all three comparisons in this thread to be really interesting. I especially like that you have added several consoles onto one graph so we can see how the current one stacks up to several past generations.

Around the Network

Switch seems to be tracking not too far behind last year in Europe, so should be ~4mil for the rest of the year. Might take the lead in December, if not then definitely in Q1 next year.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - June 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 155,315 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,620,425 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,617,757 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 28,171,177

PS3 Total Sales: 23,553,420

May 2022 is the 64th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch has grown its lead over the PlayStation 3 by 155,315 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 1.62 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 4.62 million units.

The 64th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is June 2022 and for the PlayStation 3 it is June 2012. The Switch has sold 28.17 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 23.55 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 82.

The PlayStation 3 sold 30.87 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 2.70 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Looks like Switch will conquer the PS3's last regional stronghold before the year is out, or close to it.
Beating a Playstation home console in Europe is no small feat.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

I would love to see a graph including NSW, Wii and PS3, as it has been done with some other gap charts. They all are really close to each other this far.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - June 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 299,002 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,502,583 - PS4

Total Lead: 2,947,700 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 20,853,686

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 23,801,386

June 2022 is the 20th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 299,002 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 has outsold the PS5 by 3.50 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 2.95 million units.

The PS5 has sold 20.85 million units in 20 months, while the PS4 sold 23.80 million units. Month 20 for the PS5 is June 2022 and for the PS4 is June 2015.

The PS4 crossed 30 million units in month 25, 40 million units in month 31, and 50 million in month 38. The PS4 has sold 116.95 million units to date.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

IIRC, Sony projects PS5 will continue to track below PS4 through this year and next, but then catch up and overtake it in 2024.
We'll have to wait and see if they can make good on this goal.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

PS5 got off to an early lead. Clearly, there was a lot of demand for it from the most hardcore gamers. However, it has been losing ground to the PS4 for the past year, and it's going to continue losing ground for the rest of its lifetime. Shortages are really only the least of PS5's problems. It has the much bigger issue in that it's really only going to be popular in Europe this generation. PS5 will be a distant third place in the US, and it's obvious that there is not much demand for PS5 software in Japan and RoW.

This is going to be a down generation for Sony much like it was for the PS3 (and probably worse). Hopefully they can make a come back with the PS6.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

PS5 got off to an early lead. Clearly, there was a lot of demand for it from the most hardcore gamers. However, it has been losing ground to the PS4 for the past year, and it's going to continue losing ground for the rest of its lifetime. Shortages are really only the least of PS5's problems. It has the much bigger issue in that it's really only going to be popular in Europe this generation. PS5 will be a distant third place in the US, and it's obvious that there is not much demand for PS5 software in Japan and RoW.

This is going to be a down generation for Sony much like it was for the PS3 (and probably worse). Hopefully they can make a come back with the PS6.

I mostly agree with you.

Only I am not sure if it will finish worse than the PS3 (although I am not ruling it out as a posibility) but could also see it reaching 90 or 100M. We will see.

Certainly this time Playstation has bigger competition in the face of both Microsoft and Nintendo and this will impact the sales decently.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - June 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 226,536 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,562,585 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 2,638,241 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 15,457,918

Xbox One Total Sales: 12,819,677

June 2022 is the 20th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 226,536 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown by 1.56 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 2.64 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 15.46 million units in 20 months, while the Xbox One sold 12.82 million units. Month 20 for the Xbox Series X|S is June 2022 and for the Xbox One is June 2015.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 25 when it sold 16.34 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 30, 30 million in month 48, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 50.53 million units to date.