By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts June 2022 Discussion Thread

They're very close but switch about to say "so long gay PS5"

Around the Network
Chicho said:

Jesus, are you like 5 years old?

Go back to gaf with this immature homophobic garbage.

loy310 said:
Chicho said:

It's just a joke about the line from Mario 64 that's easy to mishear.

loy310 said:
Chicho said:

5 yearl old is he who cries gets mad and cries about anything.

loy310 said:
Chicho said:

Actually yes, Switch is 5 years old.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
loy310 said:
Chicho said:

Are you kidding???

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - June 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 83,132 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,862,652 - Switch

Total Lead: 509,902 - NS

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 20,937,686

Switch Total Sales: 21,447,588

June 2022 is the 20th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PS5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 83,132 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS5 by 2.86 million units. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 509,902 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 20.94 million units in 20 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 21.45 million units. Month 20 for the PlayStation 5 is June 2022 and for the Nintendo Switch it is October 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 30 million in month 23, 40 million in month 33, and 50 million in month 35. The Nintendo Switch has sold 109.81 million units through June 2022.

This one's going to be interesting to watch in the long term.

Most seem to assume Switch is just going to leave PS5 in the dust for good, but I'm not so sure, PS5 could explode like Switch did in 2020 once the supply is there to meet all the pent up demand.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

This one's going to be interesting to watch in the long term.

Most seem to assume Switch is just going to leave PS5 in the dust for good, but I'm not so sure, PS5 could explode like Switch did in 2020 once the supply is there to meet all the pent up demand.

Switch actually exploded in the end of 2019, but yeah, I agree, it's possible, although I see it more and more unlikely, since the PS4&XB1 gen actually did worse than PS3&360, and with that gen XBSX making better sales than XB1, I can't see PS5 doing better than PS4, therefore it's explosion can be 18-20M at max in a peak year which in turn would not be enough to surpass the switch.

If the pandemic had not hit, odds are PS5 sales would've been considerably higher so far, and XB Series S and X would be considerably lower. Not necessarily PS4 high, or XB One low, but not what they are today. How much more production TSMC could've pumped out over the PS4 peak, even without the pandemic, is hard to say. 

The big questions are how long before the PS5 hardware demand is met and exceeded to the point that in store purchases aren't a hassle, and how long do people remain truly scared of covid and avoid outdoor activities?

The longer it takes Sony to solve the PS5 hardware stock problem, the lesser the increase in sales will be later on. More and more people will buy the more available XB Series hardware, even if they want an X and have to settle for an S. Switch may not be the same type of console experience, but in a situation like this, where people want console like gaming and can't get them, with Switch being a proven hot item, some will be tempted to try it out.

The last chance Sony will have would be a PS5 Slim, but that's pushing it at 3-4 years into the gen. A PS5 Pro will only give a minor boost if it arrives.

The XBox360 had a slow start and a strong last several years in sales. Even still, I think Switch has more that 7.56m left in US sales, so I think it will outsell the 360.