By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why High Graphics and Realistic games sucks

Drakrami said:
Chrkeller said:

It is an open world non linear game.  Elder Scrolls, Forbidden West and Elden Ring require the main story to played out linearly.  BotW I can approach the story in a non linear fashion.  Additionally the physics engine allows for some crazy creativity.  The main advantage is being able to tackle a problem in a wide variety of approaches.

As for combat, I would like to see Zelda do better.  The combat in BotW was weak.  I would love BotW to be souls like.

So far from the truth.. Skyrim for example, I can live in the world don't do any main story and still have a blast just by exploring and doing visiting the different cities, doing side quests and exploring all the caves and mountains. Open world itself is non linear, not even sure what are you trying to say about BOTW. The physics is something new yes, innovative, but nothing ground breaking and never seen before... 

In skyrim the story (main missions) are linear.  It has to be done in sequence.  Not true with BotW.  There are 4 dungeons and hyrule castle.  The four dungeons are entirely optional and can be completed in any order.  Like I said the main story in BotW is not just open world, but non linear.  

Around the Network

There is so much wrong on the OP that it is hard to know if it is worse or not than the thread about scalpers.
Great graphics doesn't get in the way of the greatness of a game nor does realism. They can be quite well be elements to make the game even better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

HoloDust said:
Chrkeller said:

I won't dispute Ultima's impact.  But BotW interactions is based on physics engine, which Ultimate absolutely did not have.  Play BotW and it becomes obvious just how impactful the physics engine is.  

I like physics in games as part of gameplay, but, IMO, game needs to be built around it, not like BotW physics that is sorely limited by what devs allowed to be or not influenced by it. I've played through BotW, then I had to sit and watch my older son's playthrough, and neither time I thought of BotW as anything more than just a solid game with lot of flaws. And that comes from someone who loves Zelda and loves openworld games since 80s.

This mimics my sentiments exactly.

It's a great game, but there are allot of technical flaws that just hold it back... Some of it is out of necessity as the game was designed for the WiiU hardware in mind.

Chrkeller said:
Drakrami said:

So far from the truth.. Skyrim for example, I can live in the world don't do any main story and still have a blast just by exploring and doing visiting the different cities, doing side quests and exploring all the caves and mountains. Open world itself is non linear, not even sure what are you trying to say about BOTW. The physics is something new yes, innovative, but nothing ground breaking and never seen before... 

In skyrim the story (main missions) are linear.  It has to be done in sequence.  Not true with BotW.  There are 4 dungeons and hyrule castle.  The four dungeons are entirely optional and can be completed in any order.  Like I said the main story in BotW is not just open world, but non linear.  

The 4 dungeons are basically just stand-alone quests in their own right.
Many open world games have the same formula.

Mass Effect for example will allow you to complete missions to bring up loyalty of your crew in any order... But the game funnels you to a single point/quest at the end.

The advantage of Linear game design is that they can have really really good pacing and keep you motivated... Halo 1-2-3 did this extremely well.
That's not to say that open world is bad, I love it when it's done right.

I spent hundreds of hours in Morrowind back in the day, explored every inch, but I never once touched the main quest.
But I did complete Oblivion and Skyrim as the game did a better job of funneling me towards the main quest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Give me amazing gameplay, features and options over visuals, although if you can also offer up polished visuals that would be even better. But only if the gameplay is their first.

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

I like physics in games as part of gameplay, but, IMO, game needs to be built around it, not like BotW physics that is sorely limited by what devs allowed to be or not influenced by it. I've played through BotW, then I had to sit and watch my older son's playthrough, and neither time I thought of BotW as anything more than just a solid game with lot of flaws. And that comes from someone who loves Zelda and loves openworld games since 80s.

This mimics my sentiments exactly.

It's a great game, but there are allot of technical flaws that just hold it back... Some of it is out of necessity as the game was designed for the WiiU hardware in mind.

I was thinking more of design flaws to be honest - when you have game that have certain (good) systems put in place that work only sometimes, I find it to be very flawed design. For all the talk of freedom of choice, take for example entrance to Gerudo Town - it's one of THE tropes of tabletop RPGs "you come to town gates, two guards are standing in front of it". That is setup that most parties thrive on, given the amount of possible solutions to the problem. Yet in BotW you have exactly one solution to it, and that's it - and that's part of the main quest.

Examples like that are one of many reasons I don't find it to be so brilliant and revolutionary game - I'm guessing most (if not all) people remembering something like Ultima VI from 1990 are truly wondering what are all these people talking about when it comes to BotW and innovative design. It's a solid game that hit just the right spot in the right time for (mostly) mainstream audience sick of Ubisoft's and similar openworld designs.