By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We are living in the best era for gaming

Chrkeller said:

The best era, IMHO, was Genesis/SNES. Likely it won't ever be touched. Amazing games. No subscriptions, no DLC, no MTX. Just straight up great games. Turbo 16 was solid as well. Arcades were alive and well too.

In the US maybe. And even then I would doubt it. But the thing is, access to gaming throughout the world was pretty bad still. US and Japan worked better, but Europe not so much and other countries even worse.

And as I said before: with the Indie explosion we see more games covering more niches with more creativity than ever.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I'll conceed and say it's possible we are. However, the gaming landscape is rapidly shifting for the worse. The emphasis on subscriptions and mass consolidation of the industry are incredibly dangerous.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but it's not to me really.

I only care about whether or not I have fun with a video game, so I don't care in the slightest about points 1,2,3,4 and 6. They could be 180 degrees the other way around and it would be exactly the same for me. Points 5 and 7 would be of interest, but they're both untrue to me. Great games aren't really coming because I'm not interested in any of them. Or well, almost any of them. It's all one big borefest of same old same old and I'm not really impressed by anything anymore. So, to put it bluntly; I'm not having as much fun, the only thing I care about, as in some other time period so no this is not the best time to be a gamer to me.

Maybe I've just grown out of it.

Mnementh said:
Chrkeller said:

The best era, IMHO, was Genesis/SNES. Likely it won't ever be touched. Amazing games. No subscriptions, no DLC, no MTX. Just straight up great games. Turbo 16 was solid as well. Arcades were alive and well too.

In the US maybe. And even then I would doubt it. But the thing is, access to gaming throughout the world was pretty bad still. US and Japan worked better, but Europe not so much and other countries even worse.

And as I said before: with the Indie explosion we see more games covering more niches with more creativity than ever.

Yeah I'm speaking about US only.  The 90s was amazing.  So many great games.  Granted I like older games because modern games are too big and has too much narrative.  Contra 3 is a great example, it just takes off running immediately.

As far as accesibility and public perception, yes, I'd say we are living the best era yet. No need to ponder too deep into that concept.
As far as gaming itself, the Genesis/SNES era was vastly superior.

Around the Network

I agree. Between PSN+ Premium, Nintendo Online+, Game Pass, and my Steam Deck (with well over a decade worth of games I’ve collected over the years), I’m playing games that span several generations. Though I never seem to beat anything but eh…knowing how I play, I’ll go through and finish several games within a month

In some ways, yes. The Switch is my favorite system, in part because it encompasses everything from Pong to Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and has loads of RPGs.

What I'm not so nuts about are the buyouts and consolidation locking games into ecosystems I do not want to support, as well as the growing presence of China, where the CPC is more deeply entrenched than it has been since Mao was alive, in the gaming market.

JRPGfan said:
Leynos said:

No that was the 90s. Too much greed, monopolies. bad DLC, MTX creatively bankrupt publishers. I hate this idea ownership is going out of favor. Give me the 90s when we had a rapidly growing but healthy industry that was not risk-averse and full of innovation, new IPs, and arcades.

I was a kid when the N64 was out, and I think I remember seeing them (games) in Toy's R Us, for like 60-80$ a pop. Hanging in rows and rows.
If you convert that to todays money, that is alot for a game.  A quick google of it, says 1$ from the 90's is akin to 2.24$ today (USD).

Games where expensive (esp those cartridges from the n64).

Today with digital games and sales, its def. become alot cheaper to buy and own games.
Yes theres lots of bad DLC and MTX everywhere..... but you can choose not to get it (which is basically what I live by),
let others be exploited if they want too by these games companies.

Hell theres even fantastic f2p games, that dont really require you to invest much for enjoyment of them.
(I rather enjoy Path of Exile, and have played it on and off for years now, without spending too much in it)

How is that any different than AAA games of today? $70 is the entry price but they end up costing more than cartridge games of the 90s because of all the MTX and shit. Then you have 5 different editions then day 1 eiditons and gold editions. A bunch of bullshit.  Sports games are the worst they make them practiclly unplayable unless you get all the fake cards and currency. Meanwhile in 1999 I'm popping in NFL Blitz and having hours of fun. That's the other thing sports games were not limited to one developer or console. They came to everything and everyone was allowed to make them. No Legacy editions. Arcade Sports games like Blitz were allowed to exist. EA killed it's compeition NFL2K.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 July 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This video perfectly sums up the issues I have with modern gaming

I would argue the best era is already behind us. It lasted for only a few months, which was the small period in which Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy was out and there was a reasonable possibility that it'd have a sequel. Now, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is out, but we know there won't be a sequel. Thus making this the second best era.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!