By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We are living in the best era for gaming

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Are you aware this list includes delisted games because other versions are released, right? (ex: Dragon Quest XI) Sometimes the game even gets a new launcher because of publishing issues (ex: Fall Guys). This is indeed a great website because it provides us the reason why the game was delisted

But I agree it can lead to shady practices, like Nintendo removing Tropical Freeze from Wii U store, so people needed buy they more expensive Switch version

Some people may want to play Vanilla DQXI because it looks better. DQXI-S is the Switch version ported where the Switch game was built from the ground up for Switch hardware.

This is true but Square's decision was made to avoid confusion of people getting the risk to buy the version with less content. The definitive edition has slightly (again slightly) better resolution but slightly simple models and most important: It has more content so they decided it was better to make available the version with worse lightning and more content. I would understand the concern if the Definitive edition was THAT much inferior, but it's not: 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

Some people may want to play Vanilla DQXI because it looks better. DQXI-S is the Switch version ported where the Switch game was built from the ground up for Switch hardware.

This is true but Square's decision was made to avoid confusion of people getting the risk to buy the version with less content. The definitive edition has slightly (again slightly) better resolution but slightly simple models and most important: It has more content so they decided it was better to make available the version with worse lightning and more content. I would understand the concern if the Definitive edition was THAT much inferior, but it's not: 

They should've done what the Ori developers did and give the original version as an extra freebie to people who buy the new version. 

Norion said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

They should've done what the Ori developers did and give the original version as an extra freebie to people who buy the new version. 

I agree this was the best route but they already had the new game built from the ground with all additions. This was not a DLC with new maps and skills, it had many differences in the story, it's something akin to Persona vanilla vs royal. 

Edit: What they could have done was if you have an installed version (either physical or digital) you can get a copy of the definitive edition for something like 30 USD or less

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 12 July 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
Norion said:

I agree this was the best route but they already had the new game built from the ground with all additions. This was not a DLC with new maps and skills, it had many differences in the story, it's something akin to Persona vanilla vs royal. 

Edit: What they could have done was if you have an installed version (either physical or digital) you can get a copy of the definitive edition for something like 30 USD or less

I think anytime the original version of something gets delisted it should come with the new one. The same sort of thing should really happen with remakes as well like how the original version of Metroid comes with Zero Mission.

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

So it's also akin to Blind Forest vanilla vs. definitive edition, then? Because they should've done the same with Persona 5 Royal if you ask me.

I never played vanilla blind forest so I can't say.

About Persona, the caveat here is it couldn't be just a patch to update the vanilla edition, you would need to redownload everything. Royal has double the size of the vanilla edition and too many editions on the story, maps, menus, events, battles and of course graphics as well. It's something a little deeper than just changing and patching some files. What I agree that can be done is sell the Royal as an upgrade where you download it and It replaces the launcher of the standard edition, but it's essentially a new game meaning you can carry some things of the standard version but not everything (in the cause you have your saves and gaming data saved either in cloud or in the console). I don't know if Playstation allows it because I can't think any game that used it before (although is not technically impossible and seems something quite easy to implement)

Dragon Quest is even deeper because the source code of the game is different, it uses Switch version as the base and upgrade models, animations and resolution accordingly. So indeed, it would be a case where you get a new game, download it and after installing it the launcher of the vanilla version become inactive and you play the definitive edition then. 

Around the Network
Leynos said:
VAMatt said:

Gaming was extremely expensive back then. Adjusted for PPP, the games cost more than twice as much as games today. 

Until you factor in subs, passes,MTX,DLC, Premium editions,gold editions,day one editions. overslept editions,my dog sparky edition,late for the dentist edition,the game has 15 different currencies. buy these skins, coins,health packs, EXP boosters,cards,levels, go buy candy bars to get exclusive DLC (FF7R) different ISP gives different DLC (Avengers) lootboxes. Star Wars Battlefront II being basically unplayable unless you bought into all that shit.

I got a complete game back then.

You did get a complete game back then, but the games were typically much smaller, and even when factoring in DLC, they were still more expensive back then.  

You're that $60 a year to play online is a new expense, relative to the time we're talking about here. But, you get online play for that. There was no online playback then.

All that other shit you mentioned, microtransactions and the like, it's completely voluntary. I have never spent a single penny in any video game buying in-game currency or on any sort of microtransactions, and I've been gaming since 1982.  

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A lot of these terms didn't really exist at the time, but there were similar things going on.  No one used the term "indie", but Doom was self-published.  No one used the term "free-to-play", because they said "shareware" instead.  But shareware was a way to get a whole lot of people to try the game for free knowing that a small percentage would buy the game.  (Demo is not quite the right word either, because 3 levels of Doom is more than what most people get to play in a demo.)  We also didn't have the word "causal", but that was my impression of the people who really liked Doom and other FPS games.  My buddy kept going on about how great a game Doom was, but I didn't think the game was too special.  I realized he never went to the arcade and the only console game he ever played was Tetris.  That is why he liked Doom.  Damn casual.

Of course, I was just an ignorant "hardcore gamer" at the time.  Now I realize that gaming needs casual gamers.  That is often how new genres become popular.  I saw the same thing happen to MMOs with World of Warcraft.  It was a game for "filthy unwashed casuals".   But if casual gamers play games for long enough then they become hardcore.  And they often need to try a game for free or for cheap, because they aren't that invested in gaming to begin with.  That's how the FPS genre started.  Doom became popular, because a bunch of casuals tried the game for free.

I agree that the casuals eventually might turn into hardcore players and help establish new genres. The thing is, Doom wasn't. Because people waited after Wolfenstein 3D on Doom and discussed it online in usenet (early predecessor of internet forum) and the demos they had seen so far. That is core player habit. The anticipation for Doom was that big, that it spawned the "Smashing Pumpkins into Small Piles of putrid debris" meme, which eventually was acknowledged by the finally releasing Doom as a cheat code.

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/SPISPOPD

It's not surprising that Wolfenstein 3D fans wanted to play Doom.  However, Doom was a much more popular game.  It definitely sold a lot more.  Also, I had never heard of Wolfenstein 3D until years after it's release.  But I couldn't escape Doom when it was a new game.  So many people were talking about it, and it was not the people I normally considered gamers.  Not only did it sell a lot, but many times more people were playing the free shareware.  Doom had reached a casual fanbase that Wolfenstein had not.  The PC was not really known for having good action games before the FPS genre emerged.  Doom was played by people who had a PC but weren't into either the non-action PC games at the time, and they weren't into console or arcade games either.  It had reached a new set of gamers.

This is not too different from WoW.  I am sure there were some hardcore MMO players that wanted to play WoW when it released.  But WoW reached a subscriber base far beyond what previous MMOs had.  Most of these were casual players who had never tried an MMO before.

IcaroRibeiro said:
theRepublic said:

It is less rare than you think.

https://delistedgames.com/

Are you aware this list includes delisted games because other versions are released, right? (ex: Dragon Quest XI) Sometimes the game even gets a new launcher because of publishing issues (ex: Fall Guys). This is indeed a great website because it provides us the reason why the game was delisted

Ask WarCraft III players if they're happy that the old version got delisted after the Reforged version came out...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Ask WarCraft III players if they're happy that the old version got delisted after the Reforged version came out...

Are they ever going to fix that game?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)