By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Return to Monkey Island - launch console exclusive to Switch and PC this year

How do you feel about playing another Monkey Island game later this year?

excited 7 53.85%

thrilled 0 0%

overjoyed 0 0%

all of the above 6 46.15%

Total:13
Chrizum said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm 37 with good concentration skills and played those games, liked them, even replayed the remasters recently. But pretend this is the biggest gaming announcement of the year is a streatch to say the least. And as I said, they were great games back at the time, but they are a lot lower than the standard nowadays.

What modern point and click adventures raised the standard for you?

I haven't played any 90s point and click adventures so I don't know if they raised the standard but all four The Walking Dead games are fantastic.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm 37 with good concentration skills and played those games, liked them, even replayed the remasters recently. But pretend this is the biggest gaming announcement of the year is a streatch to say the least. And as I said, they were great games back at the time, but they are a lot lower than the standard nowadays.

I am not sure about that. Sure, I was overexaggerating with the most important announcement of the year (I do really like Elden Ring for example), but I don't think the standards are better. If you talk about standards, you focus on technical standards. But games are an art form, so there are other standards to consider than purely technical ones.

Or said differently: a movie like Vertigo may not be on the same technical standard as most movies today, but it still beats them overall. In the same I could only name a few games from the past few years, that have the same charme and fun like The Secret of Monkey Island did.

So in what objective standard would this game be the biggest of the year, sales, review, technical achievement or your individual taste?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrizum said:
DonFerrari said:

He said the BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE YEAR, not the biggest announcement of point and click. So it would be compared to all games and announcements of this year. So yes it would be modern standard as a whole.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

I am not sure about that. Sure, I was overexaggerating with the most important announcement of the year (I do really like Elden Ring for example), but I don't think the standards are better. If you talk about standards, you focus on technical standards. But games are an art form, so there are other standards to consider than purely technical ones.

Or said differently: a movie like Vertigo may not be on the same technical standard as most movies today, but it still beats them overall. In the same I could only name a few games from the past few years, that have the same charme and fun like The Secret of Monkey Island did.

So in what objective standard would this game be the biggest of the year, sales, review, technical achievement or your individual taste?

Obviously my personal taste, which was the tongue in cheek usage of the term biggest. It will not reach the sales of Elden Ring which are mind-boggling great and review scores are flimsy. Even if people reference Metacritic or OpenCritic, this is far from objective, as it has a preference for western reviewers. Technical achievement is something even less objective and should be ignored, because we don't want to play tech demos.

To be frank, there does not exist any *objective* standard.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DonFerrari said:
Chrizum said:

He said the BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE YEAR, not the biggest announcement of point and click. So it would be compared to all games and announcements of this year. So yes it would be modern standard as a whole.

Let me ask you a question: if you don't consider Monkey Island important, why do you have the second most posts in this thread after me, the thread starter? Wouldn't you just start your own thread about the game you consider the biggest announcement of the year?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Obviously my personal taste, which was the tongue in cheek usage of the term biggest. It will not reach the sales of Elden Ring which are mind-boggling great and review scores are flimsy. Even if people reference Metacritic or OpenCritic, this is far from objective, as it has a preference for western reviewers. Technical achievement is something even less objective and should be ignored, because we don't want to play tech demos.

To be frank, there does not exist any *objective* standard.

Meta and Open as flawed as they are is the closest we can get to objective together with how much gotys were won by a title.

And for all the perceived bias Nintendo games are japanese and receive good reviews and this title is western so it would be favored by it not against (while Elden Ring would be the opposite but still got great scores).

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Let me ask you a question: if you don't consider Monkey Island important, why do you have the second most posts in this thread after me, the thread starter? Wouldn't you just start your own thread about the game you consider the biggest announcement of the year?

I'm not prone to confuse my own opinion with facts so I wouldn't start a thread with such a claim even for Gran Turismo that is my favorite game. And I don't recall saying the game isn't important, just that it isn't near the biggest.

Also the reason why I would be the second person who post the most (didn't count, will trust on you) is that after my single post people replied to me so I just replied back. Why would I leave people talking alone?

Even though I don‘t really like the art style (and in particular dislike Guybrush’s character design) or the animations, I‘m still looking forward to the game. It was the most surprising announcement for a high-profile franchise in years to me. I‘d never have expected another MI game made by Ron Gilbert (and partially original team). I will buy both versions as I‘m already certain already at this point that I will like it way more than Broken Age, the most disappointing highly anticipated game I ever played.

It just somewhat hurts that we have so many great visual artists in any indie game genres around the world today (2D and 3D, just look at outright gorgeous looking games like Cuphead, Ori, Eastward, Sable, Abzu, Hollow Knight - to name just a few), and Ron choses this art style. Why hasn‘t he at least asked the guys behind the art style of the Gucamalee games?

I can play a 25 years old, great Blade Runner game and a brand new (and hopefully fantastic) Monkey Island game on Switch this year (Blade Runner even on Xbox). Not too shabby.

Last edited by okr - on 29 June 2022

Interesting. I did hear some backlash on the art style or whatever. This is why I sometimes say sequels aren't for the better for some fans...