By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Return to Monkey Island - launch console exclusive to Switch and PC this year

 

How do you feel about playing another Monkey Island game later this year?

excited 7 53.85%
 
thrilled 0 0%
 
overjoyed 0 0%
 
all of the above 6 46.15%
 
Total:13
Kakadu18 said:

Looks pretty nice. Haven't played any of the previous Monkey Island games. Could give this a go if it's good.

You don't want to play RMI without playing The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge first.

Do yourself a favor and play these two games first (either the originals which run on almost any device thanks to ScummVM or the "Special Edition" remakes available for many platforms).

Curse of Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island are also great, but not that important for the RMI preparations.



Around the Network


Not a fan of the new art style.



okr said:


Not a fan of the new art style.

I dunno, I kinda dislike the remaster art-style (the remaster of MI2 looks better IMHO) and I think this new art-style fits the quirky nature of the games. I mean, in your screenshot look, the window has feet. That is kinda cool.

Overall I think it is a Windwaker situation. A long going beloved series sports a new, less serious art-style which puts off some old fans. I feel like this style might grow on people over time.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 June 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Far from biggest gaming announcement of the year, but yes Lucas Arts games on the 90 were cool. In the 90s.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Far from biggest gaming announcement of the year, but yes Lucas Arts games on the 90 were cool. In the 90s.

Unlike what you ADHD kids like to think these days, a good game is a good game regardless of age.



Around the Network
Chrizum said:
DonFerrari said:

Far from biggest gaming announcement of the year, but yes Lucas Arts games on the 90 were cool. In the 90s.

Unlike what you ADHD kids like to think these days, a good game is a good game regardless of age.

I'm 37 with good concentration skills and played those games, liked them, even replayed the remasters recently. But pretend this is the biggest gaming announcement of the year is a streatch to say the least. And as I said, they were great games back at the time, but they are a lot lower than the standard nowadays.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Chrizum said:

Unlike what you ADHD kids like to think these days, a good game is a good game regardless of age.

I'm 37 with good concentration skills and played those games, liked them, even replayed the remasters recently. But pretend this is the biggest gaming announcement of the year is a streatch to say the least. And as I said, they were great games back at the time, but they are a lot lower than the standard nowadays.

I am not sure about that. Sure, I was overexaggerating with the most important announcement of the year (I do really like Elden Ring for example), but I don't think the standards are better. If you talk about standards, you focus on technical standards. But games are an art form, so there are other standards to consider than purely technical ones.

Or said differently: a movie like Vertigo may not be on the same technical standard as most movies today, but it still beats them overall. In the same I could only name a few games from the past few years, that have the same charme and fun like The Secret of Monkey Island did.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Conina said:
Kakadu18 said:

Looks pretty nice. Haven't played any of the previous Monkey Island games. Could give this a go if it's good.

You don't want to play RMI without playing The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge first.

Do yourself a favor and play these two games first (either the originals which run on almost any device thanks to ScummVM or the "Special Edition" remakes available for many platforms).

Curse of Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island are also great, but not that important for the RMI preparations.

Very much this.

The original two were the best of the bunch, everything after those have been kind of meh. The only reason I have any hope for this new one is because there is so much involvement by the original makers. We'll see.



Hmm, the new art style is bordering on immersion breaking (yes, there's immersion even in a wacky title such as Monkey Island). At least make the people look like people.
And why is there a stupid exclusivity thing? Well, I can wait.



DonFerrari said:
Chrizum said:

Unlike what you ADHD kids like to think these days, a good game is a good game regardless of age.

I'm 37 with good concentration skills and played those games, liked them, even replayed the remasters recently. But pretend this is the biggest gaming announcement of the year is a streatch to say the least. And as I said, they were great games back at the time, but they are a lot lower than the standard nowadays.

What modern point and click adventures raised the standard for you?