By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Return to Monkey Island - launch console exclusive to Switch and PC this year

How do you feel about playing another Monkey Island game later this year?

excited 7 53.85%

thrilled 0 0%

overjoyed 0 0%

all of the above 6 46.15%

Total:13

The biggest gaming news of the year - The Return of Monkey Island - now has a platform announced. It will be launch console exclusive to Switch, which probably means it also is coming to PC (which was expected).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmI5A_KmOo&ab_channel=NintendoUK

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 June 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Well technically it's a timed or launch console exclusive. The direct made sure to state "coming first on console to Switch".

Blood_Tears said:

Well technically it's a timed or launch console exclusive. The direct made sure to state "coming first on console to Switch".

You are right, I made the long title a bit longer :)

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Looks pretty nice. Haven't played any of the previous Monkey Island games. Could give this a go if it's good.

Is it that big of a deal? Genuinely not trying to be funny, as i'm not very familiar with the franchise. Or are you saying it's a massive announcement to you, personally?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:

Is it that big of a deal? Genuinely not trying to be funny, as i'm not very familiar with the franchise. Or are you saying it's a massive announcement to you, personally?

Some of the funniest games around with creative sometimes challenging puzzles.  My 2nd favorite point and click series after Maniac Mansion.

peachbuggy said:

LucasArts adventures including Monkey Island were big on PC back in the 90s. People who grew up on consoles probably never heard of it, which is a shame. Generally, LucasArts was great back then.

Return of Monkey Island is great, not only because it is a new entry in the franchise, but it is actually headed by the legendary designer Ron Gilbert, which is a surprise because he said he will never do it again. He is also joined by a lot of names that worked on the original game like Michael Land. So yeah, I hope it goes as well as the original, which is among my most beloved games.

Mnementh said:
peachbuggy said:

LucasArts adventures including Monkey Island were big on PC back in the 90s. People who grew up on consoles probably never heard of it, which is a shame. Generally, LucasArts was great back then.

Return of Monkey Island is great, not only because it is a new entry in the franchise, but it is actually headed by the legendary designer Ron Gilbert, which is a surprise because he said he will never do it again. He is also joined by a lot of names that worked on the original game like Michael Land. So yeah, I hope it goes as well as the original, which is among my most beloved games.

Ah. That explains it then. I didn't really get into gaming until about '97 and in those days, just had an N64, followed by GC, etc. etc.

It does look pretty cool and sounds like it does have a good pedigree. Will have to keep an eye on it then!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Mnementh said:

The biggest gaming news of the year - The Return of Monkey Island - now has a platform announced. It will be launch console exclusive to Switch, which probably means it also is coming to PC (which was expected).

I'm glad you made this thread, because I didn't realize at first that this was a new Monkey Island game.  That's actually really cool.  I hope it get's a physical cart.  If so, it's a must buy for me.  Otherwise, I'm not sure...I might wait for a digital sale.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

I'm glad you made this thread, because I didn't realize at first that this was a new Monkey Island game.  That's actually really cool.  I hope it get's a physical cart.  If so, it's a must buy for me.  Otherwise, I'm not sure...I might wait for a digital sale.

Yeah, it was announced earlier this year, but without platforms at that moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahskKAxSCY&ab_channel=DevolverDigital