By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas (19 Students, 2 Teachers Dead)

the-pi-guy said:

I find it funny how many pro gun arguments contradict each other.

Guns are simultaneously effective enough to fight off governments, and weak enough that there's no point in banning them, because otherwise something else will be used.

I guess using that logic, it's okay to ban guns, because then we can all use knives instead.

Guns are also simultaneously super easy for criminals to get their hands on, but gun control is a bad idea because then it makes it difficult to fight off governments.

I'll offer one even better; these are also the same folks who support increased military spending. So, cling to guns for hypothetical protection against the state in accordance with an ancient amendment in the constitution and then simultaneously help your potential future oppressor to get more arms and power. No wonder they can't even understand basic escalation principles and their dire long-term consequences.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
the-pi-guy said:

I find it funny how many pro gun arguments contradict each other.

Guns are simultaneously effective enough to fight off governments, and weak enough that there's no point in banning them, because otherwise something else will be used.

I guess using that logic, it's okay to ban guns, because then we can all use knives instead.

Guns are also simultaneously super easy for criminals to get their hands on, but gun control is a bad idea because then it makes it difficult to fight off governments.

I'll offer one even better; these are also the same folks who support increased military spending. So, cling to guns for hypothetical protection against the state in accordance with an ancient amendment in the constitution and then simultaneously help your potential future oppressor to get more arms and power. No wonder they can't even understand basic escalation principles and their dire long-term consequences.

I never understood how this wasn't obvious to people. If the government wanted to have marshal law, then no matter what guns people have at home the army has bigger and better ones to take them all out. Those guns offer bugger all protection from an oppressing government.

Cobretti2 said:
Mummelmann said:

I never understood how this wasn't obvious to people. If the government wanted to have marshal law, then no matter what guns people have at home the army has bigger and better ones to take them all out. Those guns offer bugger all protection from an oppressing government.

Do not underrate military personnel, especially Spec Ops.  Like the average person would have a chance even if guns were the same, which they arent.

Is there really anyone who believes if the US military decided to turn its guns and might against its citizens, that your AR 15 is going to save the day. The fact of the matter is you would never even see a soldier most times because if you are not shelled to death, droned to death, missile to death, sniped to death you name it. Yeah back in the 1800 when the common man could obtain the same weapon as the military you had a chance but today, that is some real good smoke people are hitting. The argument is silly on all fronts. Having the gun may make you feel safe but in reality, it probably would only get you and everyone killed.

Way to many people must be watching Red Dawn as reference material for these arguments.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 17 June 2022

Cobretti2 said:
Mummelmann said:

One of the biggest contradictions of people who claim to be suspicious of the government is their unquestioning love of the two parts of that same government that they’ve armed to the teeth. Occasionally an incident like Ashli Babbitt provides a sobering reminder to them that they aren’t immune to the weapons they provide to police and military,. 

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

Is there really anyone who believes if the US military decided to turn its guns and might against its citizens, that your AR 15 is going to save the day. The fact of the matter is you would never even see a soldier most times because if you are not shelled to death, droned to death, missile to death, sniped to death you name it. Yeah back in the 1800 when the common man could obtain the same weapon as the military you had a chance but today, that is some real good smoke people are hitting. The argument is silly on all fronts. Having the gun may make you feel safe but in reality, it probably would only get you and everyone killed.

Way to many people must be watching Red Dawn as reference material for these arguments.

Two points, first the bolded section...  yes, some people think that.  The one guy I know who thinks this way, apologies for being rude in advance, is under 6 ft tall and weights 280 lbs...  and is 50 years old...  but yes, he thinks that...  despite walking up a single flight of stairs has him gasping for air.

Second point, yes I blame hollywood..  The dude watches too many Stallone movies.

ConservagameR said:
sundin13 said:

So...there's no point about guns and school shootings here? I mean, if you want to argue that there is value in nuclear weapons, there is some truth to that but this doesn't seem like the place. If you want to try to make an argument for arming the populace to reduce crime on the other hand, that is a pretty garbage argument although coincidentally this would be just the place to make it.

Had a chuckle when this popped up in my YouTube feed today. Reminded me of this recent post. Seems like Stossel is trying to make the argument.

Pretty good argument.

Chrkeller said:
Machiavellian said:

Two points, first the bolded section...  yes, some people think that.  The one guy I know who thinks this way, apologies for being rude in advance, is under 6 ft tall and weights 280 lbs...  and is 50 years old...  but yes, he thinks that...  despite walking up a single flight of stairs has him gasping for air.

Second point, yes I blame hollywood..  The dude watches too many Stallone movies.

Yer but Rambo is meant to be trained lol. 

I guess after Rambo 3 it become somewhat like Bollywood with his god mode abilities at that age lol.

An interesting read:
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/how-one-mans-court-case-opened-the-floodgates-to-a-decade-of-gun-violence-in-america/news-story/ab4351630369358c0c727e1f6fa94b29

Well not sure what to think here, but it was worth the bump. Couple things that have popped up recently.

Parents taking action to bullet proof their kids... sad it has come to this a not law changes.

Bullet Proof Backpack
https://www.tiktok.com/@thewaltonfamily1/video/7132547818794814762?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=6896284164702815745

Bullet Proof Dress
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/texas-mother-creates-bulletproof-back-to-school-dress-daughter-protect-babies-guns-violence-school-shooting-190512988.html