By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas (19 Students, 2 Teachers Dead)

Guns "Leading Cause Of Death" For Children In 2020 In US: Study

The study observed that individuals aged between 1-19 were more likely to die due to firearm incidents rather than vehicle crashes, cancer or drug overdoses.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/guns-leading-cause-of-death-for-children-in-2020-in-us-study-3028788

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Do you seriously want to live in a world where everyone runs around wearing guns at all times? Do you seriously feel safe with other people around you having guns?

How the heck do you feel safer by you and friends and family around you disarmed?

Edit: Like if you and others are besides camp fire in the woods or something, yall feel safer unarmed?

Even with you and a bunch of strangers at the bustop or something. Pretty sure no one will want to stir shit with everyone armed there.

I feel safer when no one has fucking guns on them. Never did feel like I had a reason to feel unsafe standing at a bus stop with a bunch of strangers. I'm not paranoid. People don't get regularly randomly murdered on the street where I live.

2nd amendment was written in the days of muskets.... guns have changed quite a bit, meanwhile the 2nd amendment has not.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

cyberninja45 said:

Yes, the more people legally armed in an area and the more people know everyone is armed, the less shit stirred. Show me the study that shows opposite.

Why should people waste their time when you refuse to back up any of your claims with any data whatsoever? If you claim that more guns makes people safer, the burden of proof is on you to prove it, not on them to disprove it. I'm genuinely curious what you think you're adding to this discussion when people provide you data and you respond with, "nuh uh cuz common sense." It makes me think JWeinCom was right to stop feeding the troll.

Well if this is the attitude from the law man, no wonder the whole place is on a slippery slope

https://www.facebook.com/1510663084/videos/536719221375988

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:

1. This is why you have so many bad cops, or better put, less useful cops. If that's the US attitude for mistakes, I'll pick another career then.

2. When it comes to school shootings. If the shooter is a boy or a teen, is it ok for a cop to just blow him away?

3. False, yes, but that's rarely how people seem to see it. Trust the professionals, or else, except when, and, or, etc?

4. There aren't any good doctors with bad takes? They are all always perfect?

5. That's not how things work. We have to let the professionals do their job, so we're told. That's why they're the professionals and we're not. The parents going in shouldn't even be a thought in their heads, and yes the cops should have been able to do their job more effectively, but they shouldn't have to worry about cancel culture on top of it, which they certainly do. It goes beyond policing itself.

6. I agree, but I believe the cops would say stop focusing so much on us and cancelling us, which we all know isn't going to happen. So both sides in this point don't get what they want either, because neither side will budge. So this is what we end up with.

Everything has it's repercussions.

You know, I thought you would give me some push back when I said that your argument was "Cops can't even murder children these days without pushback", but no, you've doubled down. I don't know what to do with that. Like, it is so obviously ridiculous on its face that it seems farcical to argue it further. 

sc94597 said:

Considering the number of police and retired police at the Jan 6th event, "nobody wants to see dead children" is untrue. There are plenty of fascist and white-supremacist police in this country who want to see dead BIPOC children. See: White Supremacist Links to Law Enforcement Are an Urgent Concern and FBI Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement.

Some police might be good people, but all police in the U.S do bad things in their role of being police. The majority of police officers have harassed homeless people in their enforcement of anti-homeless laws. The majority of police officers have racially profiled a BIPOC person. Many police officers lie and/or concoct evidence. Many don't realize regular people have a constitutional right to not self-incriminate, "to remain silent" and will abuse people for using it even after they recite it in the Miranda verbiage. This is systematic, not some one off "bad apple" thing. So when we see our militarized police force which has no respect for citizens and sees itself as above everyone else, what is essentially an armed occupying force with very little legal culpability and in fact many legal protections in the form of qualified immunity, fail to "protect and serve" children, then we rightly question why they should exist. So that they can harass homeless people, BIPOC people, engage in white supremacy, and enforce capitalist class relations on working people? 

I beg to differ. Anyone who "talks big" on social media/real life about seeing a certain demographic in a shit-situation obviously hasn't had to deal with any of this.

Their opinions would change and become extremely humbled if they were responsible for assisting someone who was BIPOC... Because at the end of the day, we all bleed the same colour of blood.

So it seems the police force has perhaps got a cultural issue that needs changing? I know the gun culture in the US civilian world needs to change.

It isn't clear what you are referring to with "a certain demographic in a shit-situation" here. If you are talking about American police, I wonder, what exactly is the "shit-situation" they are in systematically? Their job is far from the most dangerous even if it is more dangerous than the average, ranking 22nd in mortality rate. In many jurisdictions they have a solid middle-class lifestyle and even in the poorest-paying jurisdictions they make at least a median income for their area, with benefits. They, unlike almost any other occupation, are protected from liability to a high degree with both strong unions and legal protections -- something very few Americans enjoy. Sure they see the darkest parts of a stratified society, but so do many working people who live those dark parts. And of course when the FBI -- a federal police force in itself that has a long history of racial antagonism, is saying that local police forces are disproportionately white-supremacist for even their standards then maybe it isn't "perhaps" but a "known" like with the gun culture. More people die from police violence than mass-shootings after-all. 

If you are suggesting that the loudest voices that "talk big" on social media about homeless persons and BIPOC persons being targeted by police haven't dealt with any of the problems I mentioned, then I will have to emphatically disagree. We're loud because we've experienced being in these categories. I've personally been racially-profiled by police despite having had lived in my small municipality (with practically no crime) for six years at the time and never having had committed a crime, before or since.  Likewise, my half-brothers and step-sisters have been even more strongly racially profiled for being black, again without having committed crimes. Other BIPOC friends of mine almost always can account and are emotionally distraught when recounting when they were racially profiled.  My strong emotions about this aren't from some distance, but personal experience that has been confirmed to be systematic by the empirical data. 

And if the police can't handle the "stress of the job" and perform it professionally, then maybe they shouldn't be doing the job? Unless of course, like the Supreme Court of the United States has confirmed in many cases, the job of police isn't to "protect and serve" but rather to enforce the state's legislation regardless of its effects. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/06/01/tulsa-oklahoma-shooting-medical-building-victims-suspect/7476634001/

We need to arm doctors and nurses.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/06/01/tulsa-oklahoma-shooting-medical-building-victims-suspect/7476634001/

We need to arm doctors and nurses.

They all always make this copy-pasted statement: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims" blablabla.

And then there's another shooting the next day and more "thoughts and prayers" are being so helpful.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 02 June 2022

RolStoppable said:
ConservagameR said:

Treating kids like they're royalty doesn't help. Telling them they're super special and deserve everything they ever wanted doesn't help. Making more and more rules so kids don't have to face adversity doesn't help.

You can't have a young lion or tiger born in a zoo, fed like a king, only to eventually release it into it's natural wild ecosystem. Odds are extremely high it's going to die, one way or another, because it doesn't have what it needs to cope.

Many other countries don't cover events like the US does, and when they do, they do so in a much different fashion. The US makes it week long binge show extravaganza. Then there's the fact that so many other countries will show big events from US media, but the US won't show squat from elsewhere, unless of course the event can, outdo, what coverage the US has on tap presently.

I wanna be on TV is an insanely big deal in the US. So it's no wonder why some people will do what they do, knowing they won't just get their 15 minutes, they'll likely get an entire week. Sometimes offering a platform to project something isn't a good idea, some would say, though the media clearly doesn't agree, at least when it comes to themselves. Yet they're more than happy to point out who else shouldn't be given or getting a platform.

The US also has such a tremendously higher rate of many things vs other countries, both good and bad. That's basically baked into the American system. What other country constantly has the major high's and lows the US does when it comes to so many different things?

That's a lot of effort for dodging a question, but at least the bolded is a concrete on-topic statement. Name at least three examples of the USA having a tremendously higher rate of something good in comparison to other developed nations.

1. Diversity and inclusivity (due to ending slavery).

2. Space exploration and exploitation.

3. Modern medical advancements.

I'd argue great over good, but good would be good enough.