By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth it to get a Switch at this point?

I've been thinking about getting a Switch for a couple months now since I'm curious about Breath of the Wild (though that's the only game I'm interested in) and my wife is super into Pokemon (I only played Blue way back in the day lol)

Thing is, a Switch successor must be on the way right? In my mind it seems like it could be a waste to get a Switch now but then again who knows if Nintendo will make the next console backwards compatible. How likely do you think that is?

I haven't made up my mind yet so any discussion and/or advice is welcome.

Around the Network

I dont know how far along a "Switch successor" might be, I cant imagine it coming out in short term or we would've heard something of it at this point, so my short answer is: Yes, it is worth getting a Switch at this point.
However, it doesnt sound like you are particularly excited for its library? At least from the sound of it, so might I suggest you check out trailer/gameplay videos before making said purchase. BOTW is definitely worth it, and as far as Pokemon games go, Legends Arceus is good.
As far as exclusives go, I'd recommend checking out Mario Kart 8, Metroid Dread, Kirby and the Forgotten Stuff, Astral Chain, Octopath, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, MHRise. Check 'em out, jut to see if they appeal to you.

Whatever the case, never forget the highest truth of them all: Octopath is a better game than Triangle Strategy.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 19 May 2022

Not if you only want to play BOTW

Just download and emulate it

If there are more games you are interested it's definitely worth it, Switch isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. 2024 at earliest, 2025 very likely

What kind of games are you into?
Switch has over 4000 games, so maybe there's more for you there then BOTW? Happy to give recommendations, just no idea what your tastes are.

Yes. Get the standard model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Switch has over 4000 games, so maybe there's more for you there then BOTW? Happy to give recommendations, just no idea what your tastes are.

Survival horror, third person shooters, open world games. I love RPGs too, mostly western RPGs though I have a few JRPG favorites on the PS1. Appreciate your interest!

axumblade said:

Honestly, with the chip shortage, I could imagine Nintendo trying to hold off for a bit. There’s definitely other games out there but it is difficult to compete with BOTW to most Nintendo fans.

if your wife likes Pokémon, maybe buy it for both of you to share.

Yeah at this point if I buy it it's mostly going to be for her. Though that could change, who knows.

Signalstar said:

Yes. Get the standard model.

Why? Isn't the OLED model better?

Spike0503 said:
curl-6 said:

Survival horror, third person shooters, open world games. I love RPGs too, mostly western RPGs though I have a few JRPG favorites on the PS1. Appreciate your interest!

No worries, happy to help out. :)

Based on this, I'd say Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 might be worth your time. Though it's not traditional horror, Luigi's Mansion 3 is an enjoyable spoof of the genre with a lot of polish. If you enjoy non-shooter action games I'd also recommend Monster Hunter Rise, Bayonetta 2, and Astral Chain.

If you have any fondness for old school FPS games, Dusk is a must play, ditto for Metroid Dread if you have any affinity for its genre.

curl-6 said:
Spike0503 said:

Based on this, I'd say Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 might be worth your time. Though it's not traditional horror, Luigi's Mansion 3 is an enjoyable spoof of the genre with a lot of polish. If you enjoy non-shooter action games I'd also recommend Monster Hunter Rise, Bayonetta 2, and Astral Chain.

If you have any fondness for old school FPS games, Dusk is a must play, ditto for Metroid Dread if you have any affinity for its genre.

I've heard a ton about Metroid but haven't played any to this day. I LOVE Symphony of the Night so I might like this one since it's a Metroidvania too no?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The next Nintendo console is definitely not coming this or next year.
The OLED model is definitely the better model, more sturdy, better build quality, feels more premium, or so I've heard.

Basically all genres are represented on the Switch, some more than others.
Good horror games on the Switch would be the Outlast games, Alien Isolation and Amnesia Collection.

I wanna also recommend Astral Chain if you like some cool action.

Spike0503 said:
curl-6 said:

I've heard a ton about Metroid but haven't played any to this day. I LOVE Symphony of the Night so I might like this one since it's a Metroidvania too no?

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's what inspired Symphony of the Night, I think. Try out Hollow Knight and the Ori games too. They're also on other platforms.