By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth it to get a Switch at this point?

I mean, if you can even get a PS5 or New Xbox, are there that many must have games for them?

Or just stick with what you have if they are still jamming the games out.

This question always pops up for people who do not regularly play Nintendo. The question for you is whether or not you are going to play any of the games and do you have friends who also play?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

The first step to becoming a Nintendo fan is asking yourself, "could I actually become a Nintendo fan?" It's a big step and the fact that you're making this thread suggests that you're already a little Nintendo-curious. You're just waiting for someone to take you by the hand and help you take that next step. It's a big change in someone's life, and I understand the fear. My best advice: be open. Allow the Nintendo to wash over you and don't flinch. Some of it may seem a bit foreign at first, but if you keep an open mind you may find pleasure in their IPs beyond what you ever expected. In a world where it has been very popular to knock Nintendo, sometimes it's hard to go against the grain and experience it for yourself on your own terms. Whatever you decide, I know you'll be happy. Gaming is just so expansive these days that it's kind of hard to imagine anyone being disatisfied with any console if they invest themselves enough into its catalogue.

If you only have a small interest in the library, avoid buying one. 2 to 2.5 years from now (maybe a little sooner) there is all but guaranteed to be a Switch successor. Granted, it won't be easy to obtain (I would guess).

Get a standard Switch or OLED and split the cost of it with your wife if you think you two would use it enough. It sounds like she likes Pokemon.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Spike0503 said:
V-r0cK said:

The magic of Nintendo is no matter if you missed the launch and you're grabbing their system years later, you'll still get the experience of buying their games at launch full prices! xD

Dude, for real. I was just looking at some of the prices and they're insane. One of the few Nintendo games I remember playing is Sunshine so I went to look at the 3D mario pack they released for Switch: $60 for a pack of old games and the pack came out TWO YEARS AGO! What the flying fuck.

It's even worse in the case of that game, because they pulled it from stores and closed off digital sales too, in some weird attempt to drive up demand or something, I don't know.

What we've certainly learned from the Switch era is that there are no limits whatsoever for Nintendo's greed when they're on a high. Most of the games they make are low-budget compared to any other big studios out there and yet they sell for $60. Remakes and remasters? $60. Little casual game with incredibly little content? $60. Game's been out for 4 years? Might get it on sale for $40 if you're lucky.

For real, their pricing is incredibly unfair. It's never been good, to be honest, but in the Switch era it's hit an all-time worst. They're making piracy look like the morally correct choice. But you can only pirate their games if you get a really old Switch model. Look into that if you want.

Ahem. Anyways. Switch games are overpriced. The "good" thing is that there's never a wrong time to buy one of their games, seeing as you're getting the same price whenever you get it.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

Spike0503 said:

I've been thinking about getting a Switch for a couple months now since I'm curious about Breath of the Wild (though that's the only game I'm interested in) and my wife is super into Pokemon (I only played Blue way back in the day lol)

Thing is, a Switch successor must be on the way right? In my mind it seems like it could be a waste to get a Switch now but then again who knows if Nintendo will make the next console backwards compatible. How likely do you think that is?

I haven't made up my mind yet so any discussion and/or advice is welcome.

Yes, simply put. I actually think it is a no brainer for two reasons:

1. your wife is super into Pokemon and you get to score points with the lady (and that should be reason enough), but you can actually play games like Let's Go split screen with her, which I hear is kinda cool (so, bonus point);

2. even if just for BoTW, you definitely SHOULD buy a Switch because there's almost no way you ever had a portable experience like that (it's the game I played the most on portable mode, because, trust me, it just feels good to play small portions wandering Hyrule here and there, if only for the heck of it, and putting the console away a few minutes later) unless you can correctly emulate it on a Steam Deck (good luck getting one) or another portable PC like the Aya (and then you are freaking rich, since those are super expensive); and, believe me, I NEVER liked portable consoles before, but that will change your life. I think 300+ hours of guaranteed fun is enough for buying a machine (I bought WiiU only for MH3U - no regrets).

Some other tidbits: playing portable Skyrim was another huge thing for me, since I love it to bits. And it's also an amazing place for some less famous indies, such as Furi and Cript of the Necrodancer.

Just buy one. It will probably hook you up and you might want a second one so your wife doesn't hog yours. Or the other way around ;)

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:

The stuff about Metroid is interesting too. I'm really into the Metroidvania style but have only played Castlevania games. I'll consider Super Metroid now, thanks.

Oh my goodness! Stop all you are doing and play it right now lol.

Spike0503 said:

How likely is it that the Switch successor will be backwards compatible though? I'm really curious to hear people's thoughts on that. Nintendo seems to be on and off on backwards compatibility if you look at their record.

I'd say it's a 50 % chance that Switch's successor plays Switch games. I guess it's a bit more likely that it plays digital titles, though. I also think that Nintendo stays with game cards, but I'm not sure if you can put Switch's game cards into their next system, because the reading speed is pretty low and they will probably use a different card slot. But maybe it's something like 3DS in which you can put DS cards in.

The last rumor I heard about backward compatibility was before the launch of the Switch OLED model. A developer, who had a 4K dev kit, said that it's pretty difficult to let Switch games run on the 4K dev kit. The news was here on VGC, but I can't find the article anymore.

siebensus4 said:
Spike0503 said:

How likely is it that the Switch successor will be backwards compatible though? I'm really curious to hear people's thoughts on that. Nintendo seems to be on and off on backwards compatibility if you look at their record.

I'd say it's a 50 % chance that Switch's successor plays Switch games. I guess it's a bit more likely that it plays digital titles, though. I also think that Nintendo stays with game cards, but I'm not sure if you can put Switch's game cards into their next system, because the reading speed is pretty low and they will probably use a different card slot. But maybe it's something like 3DS in which you can put DS cards in.

The last rumor I heard about backward compatibility was before the launch of the Switch OLED model. A developer, who had a 4K dev kit, said that it's pretty difficult to let Switch games run on the 4K dev kit. The news was here on VGC, but I can't find the article anymore.

That's interesting. That does factor in my decision. If the new system doesn't play Switch games (physical) then getting a Switch for its library of games is probably worth it.

...But then again, Nintendo would probably launch new versions of the old Switch games for the new system right? If there's no backwards compatibility I mean. I'm probably overthinking it though haha.

Jump on it. The Switch has some fantastic titles, the only let down is often visuals or performance or both, but if you can look past that, you will have a fun time.

Breath of the Wild was awesome. - Although that was a WiiU title, so I never bothered to play it again on Switch.
Links Awakening is just fantastic, remake of the OG Gameboy game.
Metroid Dread. - Not as great as Super Metroid, but it stands on it's own two feet.
Mario Kart 8 - One of the best selling games of all time, WiiU port but still a solid banger, especially online which has a very large population oddly enough, especially as it's a Nintendo title.

Then you have Smash Brothers, Super Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Paper Mario... And the much under-appreciated Astral Chain and a heap more.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

mZuzek said:
Spike0503 said:

Dude, for real. I was just looking at some of the prices and they're insane. One of the few Nintendo games I remember playing is Sunshine so I went to look at the 3D mario pack they released for Switch: $60 for a pack of old games and the pack came out TWO YEARS AGO! What the flying fuck.

It's even worse in the case of that game, because they pulled it from stores and closed off digital sales too, in some weird attempt to drive up demand or something, I don't know.

What we've certainly learned from the Switch era is that there are no limits whatsoever for Nintendo's greed when they're on a high. Most of the games they make are low-budget compared to any other big studios out there and yet they sell for $60. Remakes and remasters? $60. Little casual game with incredibly little content? $60. Game's been out for 4 years? Might get it on sale for $40 if you're lucky.

For real, their pricing is incredibly unfair. It's never been good, to be honest, but in the Switch era it's hit an all-time worst. They're making piracy look like the morally correct choice. But you can only pirate their games if you get a really old Switch model. Look into that if you want.

Ahem. Anyways. Switch games are overpriced. The "good" thing is that there's never a wrong time to buy one of their games, seeing as you're getting the same price whenever you get it.

In reality most of them have been priced around 40$. Might still be high for some but they do still have some senses. Also they produce pretty great DLC deals in my book. Xenoblade 2, Splatoon, FE and Mario Kart profited from robust DLC at lower prices than most of the industry standard.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909