By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth it to get a Switch at this point?

A Switch successor shouldn't launch before 2024, so you have at least 2 years. Don't expect many big new games besides BOTW 2 and Metriod Prime 4. But the Switch catalogue is pretty filled with great titles and you maybe haven't thought about every good exclusive. But don't think about playing titles on Switch you can play on any other platform. It is the worst console playing multiplats on TV, except you use the portability.

If you love Symphony of the Night, you should also like Metroid Dread.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:

A Switch successor shouldn't launch before 2024, so you have at least 2 years. Don't expect many big new games besides BOTW 2 and Metriod Prime 4. But the Switch catalogue is pretty filled with great titles you maybe haven't thought about every good exclusive. But don't think about playing titles on Switch you can play on any other platform. It is the worst console playing multiplats on TV, except you use the portability.

I'm honestly considering holding off until the successor arrives. The only reason I'm doubting it is because we don't have any guarantee that Nintendo will make it backwards compatible (though it seems a no brainer) and because my wife is really into Pokemon haha.

And yeah if I buy it I'm only doing it for the Nintendo exclusives. BOTW and Metroid Dread look pretty cool!

Spike0503 said:
siebensus4 said:

A Switch successor shouldn't launch before 2024, so you have at least 2 years. Don't expect many big new games besides BOTW 2 and Metriod Prime 4. But the Switch catalogue is pretty filled with great titles you maybe haven't thought about every good exclusive. But don't think about playing titles on Switch you can play on any other platform. It is the worst console playing multiplats on TV, except you use the portability.

I'm honestly considering holding off until the successor arrives. The only reason I'm doubting it is because we don't have any guarantee that Nintendo will make it backwards compatible (though it seems a no brainer) and because my wife is really into Pokemon haha.

And yeah if I buy it I'm only doing it for the Nintendo exclusives. BOTW and Metroid Dread look pretty cool!

Not sure if they'd be your cup of tea, but in terms of the best Switch exclusives I'd also recommend Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

curl-6 said:
Spike0503 said:

Not sure if they'd be your cup of tea, but in terms of the best Switch exclusives I'd also recommend Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Haven't played a Mario game in years. I used to own a GameCube (won it on a raffle lol) and had a pretty good time with Sunshine. I could keep an eye out for Odyssey, yeah.

Yes.

Around the Network

I know a lot of people who bought a Switch just to play BOTW, lol. My dad did. And besides Breath of the Wild 2 is coming next year as well. I'm a huge Zelda fan so I'd recommend buying a Switch for BOTW1 and 2.

If your wife is into Pokémon, there's no shortage of Pokémon games on the Switch. It's a Pokémon machine. If you only played blue and have nostalgia for Gen 1, then Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee is a decent game to get. It's also 2 players on the same screen. Besides that I recommend Pokémon Legends Arceus. It's a semi open world Pokémon game and later this year Scarlet and Violet, fully open World Pokémon games will release.

A next gen Switch is probably 2 years out. Just get a standard or OLED if you're willing to spend the extra cash. I'd imagine the next generation Switch will be backwards compatible and you should be able to transfer your data over and sell your OG Switch.

Spike0503 said:

I've been thinking about getting a Switch for a couple months now since I'm curious about Breath of the Wild (though that's the only game I'm interested in) and my wife is super into Pokemon (I only played Blue way back in the day lol)

Thing is, a Switch successor must be on the way right? In my mind it seems like it could be a waste to get a Switch now but then again who knows if Nintendo will make the next console backwards compatible. How likely do you think that is?

I haven't made up my mind yet so any discussion and/or advice is welcome.

Switch successor likely isn't coming anytime soon. Probably 2-3 years away.

Switch has tons of great games and plenty more coming out in the future. Obviously it is worth it. But you state you are only interesting in BotW. Not sure how that could be considering the incredible library, but if you're only interested in one game it probably isn't worth it. BotW is incredible, but it isn't worth buying whole system for it! Might be worth it for your wife though considering there's a bunch of Pokemon games on the system. Maybe your wife gets it for Pokemon stuff and then you can get BotW. And who knows, maybe you'll discover all the other amazing games on the system too.

But if your worry is about it being replaced soon I wouldn't worry about that. And I mean, if you are only interested in playing a single game, why would you even care when the next system comes out anyway?

It's basic logic. Have you played Elden Ring?. If no, then play that. If yes, then get a Switch. Switch is where it's at. It's got 5 years worth of games, and most of the new games coming out this year and next year are going to be on the Switch. It's going to take a couple of years for those "next gen" games to actually release on PS5 or X|S (or Switch 2) and you're going to want to play something in the meantime.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on catching up with its games and how fast you're going to beat them lol.

Slownenberg said:

Switch successor likely isn't coming anytime soon. Probably 2-3 years away.

Switch has tons of great games and plenty more coming out in the future. Obviously it is worth it. But you state you are only interesting in BotW. Not sure how that could be considering the incredible library, but if you're only interested in one game it probably isn't worth it. BotW is incredible, but it isn't worth buying whole system for it! Might be worth it for your wife though considering there's a bunch of Pokemon games on the system. Maybe your wife gets it for Pokemon stuff and then you can get BotW. And who knows, maybe you'll discover all the other amazing games on the system too.

But if your worry is about it being replaced soon I wouldn't worry about that. And I mean, if you are only interested in playing a single game, why would you even care when the next system comes out anyway?

I haven't owned a Nintendo console in many years so I haven't been paying attention to Nintendo news. BOTW does look great and someone just recommended Metroid Dread which also looks pretty cool.

And yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Maybe get it for her and I eventually find some other games beside BOTW. I have some time to think about it though, her birthday is still some months away.

How likely is it that the Switch successor will be backwards compatible though? I'm really curious to hear people's thoughts on that. Nintendo seems to be on and off on backwards compatibility if you look at their record.