By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 20, 2022 - (9th May - 15th May)

Pinkie_pie said:
Otter said:

They're likely buying whatever they get shipped, as is the case with the rest of the world. MS shifted to producing more Series S' since they can produce more of them compared to Series X's

Yeah but it seems Japan don't really care if it's digital or not. Series S is doing great almost twice as much as series X

I think the scalping issues (reselling to surrounding countries) which are effecting the PS5 in Japan is going to be effecting the Xbox just as much, so I wouldn't read too much into it as far as preferences go. If it's not in demand in Japan it'll be elsewhere but for sure digital interest has increased. But if you look at playstation the digital version has terrible stats

Around the Network

Series S is helping a lot, given you can find one. I'm surprised Sony hasn't released a ps5 S, just to get hardware in the hands of consumers.

Series S has really been doing some work for MS.

oof the japanese market is so dead

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Chrkeller said:

Series S is helping a lot, given you can find one. I'm surprised Sony hasn't released a ps5 S, just to get hardware in the hands of consumers.

They can't do this overnight, its essentially producing and testing a new system. All games would need to be ported to this weaker PS5, it'd be a huge cost in itself and not be ready til years end. Better they ride the storm out and consider this route for their next gen.

Around the Network

MS was smart to have released an entry level as well as (what amounts to) a mid gen upgrade at the same time. Those who are getting the S (due to lack of X) are more than likely going to get an X at some point. So numbers for Series will be really good even if (many) users may have double dipped. I've already double dipped and i know plenty others who plan on it as well. You can't say the same about the PS5 since both disc and digital are the same so no real reason to buy both of those (unless you want to).

PS5 numbers in Japan are really pitiful

I was expecting it to sold 4 million life time but seems that even 4 million is going to be a high bar to clear lol

IcaroRibeiro said:

I was expecting it to sold 4 million life time but seems that even 4 million is going to be a high bar to clear lol

It's sold 1.6m in its first 16months. 4m is on lock. 

Otter said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's sold 1.6m in its first 16months. 4m is on lock. 

I was looking for 1.38 but I forgot to see the digital only version 

Regardless, the numbers (standard+ DE combined) are down 16% YoY, Sony isn't really prioritizing stocks in Japan, not when PS5 software can't sell a thing, and they are likely to keep really low until chip issues are fixed which may happen in... 2024 maybe? I think it will cross 4 million, but will take a while and definitely won't go much further 

Otter said:
Chrkeller said:

They can't do this overnight, its essentially producing and testing a new system. All games would need to be ported to this weaker PS5, it'd be a huge cost in itself and not be ready til years end. Better they ride the storm out and consider this route for their next gen.

Perhaps.  Still horrific planning on their part.  The ps5 is still sold out in the States and it launched sometime ago.  I've never seen anything like it.  Meanwhile MS is selling Series S quite well.  Sony better hope supply gets better.