By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 20, 2022 - (9th May - 15th May)

TomaTito said:
FromDK said:

10 times more than xbs.. and 25 times more than playstation.. I think its okay ;)

It's the baseline, just look at the OLED numbers already reaching saturation.

Meanwhile XBS and PS5 just need stock and then they would have 200k weekly.

Still good hold from Switch and XBS after Golden Week.

OLED is the only Switch sku with shortage so far, so these numbers don't prove anything.

Around the Network
trestres said:

Japanese market is boring and almost dead.

"boring and almost dead" for Sony only, you mean.

Agente42 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

PS5 is tracking marginally above PS4 which sold 9.4 million, i expect PS5 to match PS4 numbers.

You know videogame need to sell software. The hardware is instrumental to sell the software.

The software disaster in Japan of Ps5 paints another picture. 

Why is the same thing if software landscape is another picture? How PS5 will match PS4 survive without( big hypothesis here) retail space? PS4 has a better start than ps3 and the better third party and fall off the rails and will doesn't reach Ps3 level of sale.

So what do you expect the PS5 to sell? 

Farsala said:
Eagle367 said:

It's funny people keep saying "the Japanese market is dead" but the switch is the 3rd best selling console of all time and is on pace of being number 1, and Xbox is selling better than it has for a long while meanwhile whenever ps5 gets some stock, it sells decent. Not the best but not the worst either. The Japanese market is not dead. It is different now but it is not dead. I would love to see a comparison through the decades of total hardware and top 10 software sales.

Switch is doing quite well, but it is only one console. The Japanese market used to be able to support 5 consoles quite well.

Xbox is selling better than it has in a long while and ps5 sells out. Also dead is a strong statement that isn't really true.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Farsala said:

Switch is doing quite well, but it is only one console. The Japanese market used to be able to support 5 consoles quite well.

Xbox is selling better than it has in a long while and ps5 sells out. Also dead is a strong statement that isn't really true.

Xbox is doing normal Xbox numbers, it was the Xbox One being such a terrible console that made it the anomaly. Either way though, it is but a niche.

I agree it is unnecessarily strong. Weak or weakening is the better term.

But it seems to truly be dead for dedicated handhelds, meanwhile Mobile gaming is massive in Japan, so even in the portable space the Japanese market isn't dead.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
FromDK said:

10 times more than xbs.. and 25 times more than playstation.. I think its okay ;)

It's the baseline, just look at the OLED numbers already reaching saturation.

Nothing suggests that the OLED has reached saturation. To be exact it's the model that's the least closest to saturation. It's numbers fluctuate the most from week to week indicating that how much it sells is still dependant on stock.

theDX said:

Tell that to Nintendo.

theDX said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Tell that to Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't count/is doomed.

WOW.

Farsala said:
Eagle367 said:

It's funny people keep saying "the Japanese market is dead" but the switch is the 3rd best selling console of all time and is on pace of being number 1, and Xbox is selling better than it has for a long while meanwhile whenever ps5 gets some stock, it sells decent. Not the best but not the worst either. The Japanese market is not dead. It is different now but it is not dead. I would love to see a comparison through the decades of total hardware and top 10 software sales.

It still can if all 5 catered to it right now only one does.

Otter said:
Chrkeller said:

Perhaps.  Still horrific planning on their part.  The ps5 is still sold out in the States and it launched sometime ago.  I've never seen anything like it.  Meanwhile MS is selling Series S quite well.  Sony better hope supply gets better.

I wouldn't say horrific planning as sony has still managed to produce more PS5's than MS has been able to produce Xbox's. Beyond that, the Series S wasn't developed to deal with the chip shortage, it was developed as a low entry device similar to the digital PS5. I don't think either anticipated such a chip shortage in 2019 when these systems were being finalised. 

Not really.  The Series S is a low entry device yes, the digital PS5 is not.  The PS5 digital might be more budget friendly to the consumer than the standard model, but the only similarity between the PS5 digital and the XBox Series S is that they are both discless.  That's why the Series S is $100 cheaper than PS5 digital edition, while the XBox Series X and PS5 standard are the same exact price.  Microsoft is able to produce more Series S because it's less resource heavy to produce.  I'm pretty sure the only difference between the PS5 and the PS5 digital is that the latter has no disc drive.  That barely saves Sony money per unit while requiring about the same resources to manufacture.  Meanwhile, in addition to having no disc drive, the Series S "uses less RAM, has a smaller SSD, and comes in a smaller plastic chassis" when compared to the Series X.  True, Microsoft could not have known about the chip shortage coming, but they definitely made the right call in having a SKU that is an actual "low entry" device on the market.