By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 20, 2022 - (9th May - 15th May)

Ooof at those PS5 sales. That's just terrible, so terrible in fact that the freaking XS sold twice as often as the PS5 this week...

Around the Network
theDX said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Tell that to Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't count/is doomed.

Celebrating 133 years of Nintendoomed.

Otter said:
Agente42 said:

You know videogame need to sell software. The hardware is instrumental to sell the software.

The software disaster in Japan of Ps5 paints another picture. 

Why is the same thing if software landscape is another picture? How PS5 will match PS4 survive without( big hypothesis here) retail space? PS4 has a better start than ps3 and the better third party and fall off the rails and will doesn't reach Ps3 level of sale.

So what do you expect the PS5 to sell? 

6-7.5 M

and with 3 price cuts. 

RolStoppable said:
Kakadu18 said:

Nothing suggests that the OLED has reached saturation. To be exact it's the model that's the least closest to saturation. It's numbers fluctuate the most from week to week indicating that how much it sells is still dependant on stock.

When you selectively quote a troll post, it almost looks like it was trying to make an actual point.

you gotta make it more obvious these days. IF the OLED wasn't supply constrained this week it would have outsold the PS5 300:1

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

So what do you expect the PS5 to sell? 

6-7.5 M

and with 3 price cuts. 

If 3 price cuts ps5 will sell at least 9m. Ps4 had 2 price cut and sold over 9m. I was expecting ps4 to sell over 10m because most thought there would be another price cut to $200 but it didn't happen 

Around the Network
theDX said:

Heh, there are some Japanese third party games that sell well in Japan, but they figured out this little trick called "releasing your game on the Switch".  I don't think Momotaro would have done well as a Playstation exclusive.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 May 2022

I think the ps5 can sell 10 million consoles in Japan
But I also think the ps5 (and series) will be on the market for about 10 years to make up for the first 2 or 3 years of chip shortages

The_Liquid_Laser said:
theDX said:

Heh, there are some Japanese third party games that sell well in Japan, but they figured out this little trick called "releasing your game on the Switch".  I don't think Momotaro would have done well as a Playstation exclusive.

Are you talking to the guy from 2004? I don't think he's going to understand the strategy you're talking about.

That 2004 post is weird though, considering there definitely were plenty of games that sold over 400k in 2003 and 2004, even million sellers.

For me I see it very unlikely the PS5 will sell less than 8m

Even if it experienced the same decline PS4 experienced, it would look something like this PS3 10.4m > PS4 9.5m > PS5 8m

The only thing stopping it from currently eclipsing PS4 sales at the same point in its life is the shortages and where that is concerned its actually down globablly way more than it is in Japan, meaning we shouldn't expect Japan to be hit worst by shortages going forward compared to other regions. Since sony is expecting a 40% increase in production this fiscal year I'm not expecting Japan to be left out of those increased shipments. There will of course be some dreadful weeks, but that is inconsequential in the bigger context.

Beyond that, I thought everyone had the belief that Japanese demand was being prepped up by international scalpers? Just another reason why it extremely unlikely retail figures for Japan will sit below 8m when all is said and done. Demand in surrouinding countries will continue to impact Japanese sales of hardware.