By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Global Sales Jump, PS5 Europe Sales Up 50% - Global Hardware Apr 24-30

Does people still thinking Series SX has any chance to outsell PS5?

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Worldwide that would have been nearly impossible. Most people are predicting a closer gap than the PS4 and Xbox One with Xbox Series X|S only outselling the PS5 in the Americas, and maybe the UK.

Every week Xbox outsell PS5 one or two users come to say Xbox will outsell PS5 by the end of generation 

I can't believe those Australian numbers. Can't even preorder a PS5 lol still stock shortages here.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Now we have Sonys forecast of 18m PS5s, we know stock will be improving.

But I think the only comments to be taken seriously were regarding North America. Where sony is still not shipping enough and where MS is doing very well

IcaroRibeiro said:
trunkswd said:

Worldwide that would have been nearly impossible. Most people are predicting a closer gap than the PS4 and Xbox One with Xbox Series X|S only outselling the PS5 in the Americas, and maybe the UK.

Every week Xbox outsell PS5 one or two users come to say Xbox will outsell PS5 by the end of generation 

XBox doesn't have a strong presence in Japan/Asia, which means it would have to absolutely obliterate the PS5 in another territory to compensate.  The only place XBox could ever do that is in NA where the 360 previously destroyed the PS3.  But the XBox Series and PS5 are neck and neck in NA right now, so that's an unlikely outcome.  As trunkswd said though, most people are predicting the overall gap to be much closer this gen that it was in the last.  Not that it will beat it Worldwide.

At this point last generation, Sony had already sold nearly 23m consoles.  XBox One had only sold 12.5m.

PlatformWeekly (change)Total
PS4169,770(-8%)22,951,359
XOne81,533(-5%)12,562,838

Global Weekly Chart 02nd May 2015

Compare that to now at end of April 2022, where the gap of over 10m that existed between the PS4/XBox One has been cut in half between the PS5/XBox Series.

PlayStation 5 - 212,788 (19,467,776)

Xbox Series X|S - 139,856 (14,428,785)

Sony is losing sales due to shortages, and Microsoft is clearing gaining them.  It doesn't matter that Sony sells everything its been able to produce.  It matters that Microsoft is picking up the sales that Sony didn't get from what it could not produce.  For as many people that will wait for the PS5 to be available, there are going to many more who won't.  People who don't buy multiple consoles per generation.  Sony's not going to be able to get all of these, lets call them "missed opportunity", sales back.  Microsoft is even more in the right place at the right time, because they chose to also provide an affordable entry level version of their console that has the benefit of not just being cheap, but actually being available.  So, now you have to factor that people who gave up looking for a PS5 and settled for a Series S, even if they do buy another console later, it might just be to trade up to the Series X so they can keep playing the games they've already been buying this gen.

Anyway, at this pace, by the time PS5 gets close to 100m sales, the XBox series could very well be at 70m, which in itself would be a dramatic recovery from last generation.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Otter said:

Now we have Sonys forecast of 18m PS5s, we know stock will be improving.

But I think the only comments to be taken seriously were regarding North America. Where sony is still not shipping enough and where MS is doing very well

I was expecting Xbox Series X|S to outsell PS5 in the US. Mainly because the PS4 only outsold the Xbox One by 5 million in the US. And now this generation Xbox has more exclusives than with Xbox One. 

The thing is, although Xbox One done surprisingly well in the US,a 5m loss is a lot. And thats a lot of users who would have been brought into the PS echosystem and may not have any reason to leave. When the tides change and favour one system, it takes more than just underdog to do well, it also requires the market leader to do badly. Stock right now is Sonys only major point. The exclusives from Xbox can make a difference but I don't think we'll be seeing the most important ones until generation is already on its tail end. Gamepass could be enough for some people to jump ship entirely but I personally wouldn't take that bet. It'll be a close one anyway 

Mandalore76 said:

At this point last generation, Sony had already sold nearly 23m consoles.  XBox One had only sold 12.5m.

PlatformWeekly (change)Total
PS4169,770(-8%)22,951,359
XOne81,533(-5%)12,562,838

I had forgotten it was a 10m gap last gen when looking at the 5m currently. It def will be a closer match this time than last. Maybe not PS3/360 close but much more competitive than PS4/XBO and even PS2/XB

Otter said:
trunkswd said:

I was expecting Xbox Series X|S to outsell PS5 in the US. Mainly because the PS4 only outsold the Xbox One by 5 million in the US. And now this generation Xbox has more exclusives than with Xbox One. 

The thing is, although Xbox One done surprisingly well in the US,a 5m loss is a lot. And thats a lot of users who would have been brought into the PS echosystem and may not have any reason to leave. When the tides change and favour one system, it takes more than just underdog to do well, it also requires the market leader to do badly. Stock right now is Sonys only major point. The exclusives from Xbox can make a difference but I don't think we'll be seeing the most important ones until generation is already on its tail end. Gamepass could be enough for some people to jump ship entirely but I personally wouldn't take that bet. It'll be a close one anyway 

5 million in a market the size of the US is not very large, that’s a 46:54 sales split between Xbox:PS. If I recall correctly the sales split between the 360 and PS3 was 65:35 in the US or around that. 

I maintain that North American customers are not brand loyal and unlike the rest of the world does not see much of a functional difference between the PlayStation and Xbox brands. They just buy what is cheap and available and then their friends follow

IcaroRibeiro said:
trunkswd said:

The opposite is also true.  Every time the PS5 has a good week, Sony fans declare that it can't possibly lose to XBox.

Personally I see both PS5 and X|S to have had a soft launch.  Both systems have hardly any exclusives, nor are they really even getting third party games that are Gen 9 exclusive.  XBox has the advantage when exclusives start coming though because of all of its acquisitions.  The fact that XBox has been doing so well against PS5 so far, before major exclusives enter the picture, does not bode well for PS5.

What was this week last year that the Switch was at over 450k?