By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Global Sales Jump, PS5 Europe Sales Up 50% - Global Hardware Apr 24-30

trunkswd said:
Otter said:

Now we have Sonys forecast of 18m PS5s, we know stock will be improving.

But I think the only comments to be taken seriously were regarding North America. Where sony is still not shipping enough and where MS is doing very well

I was expecting Xbox Series X|S to outsell PS5 in the US. Mainly because the PS4 only outsold the Xbox One by 5 million in the US. And now this generation Xbox has more exclusives than with Xbox One. 

The thing is, although Xbox One done surprisingly well in the US,a 5m loss is a lot. And thats a lot of users who would have been brought into the PS echosystem and may not have any reason to leave. When the tides change and favour one system, it takes more than just underdog to do well, it also requires the market leader to do badly. Stock right now is Sonys only major point. The exclusives from Xbox can make a difference but I don't think we'll be seeing the most important ones until generation is already on its tail end. Gamepass could be enough for some people to jump ship entirely but I personally wouldn't take that bet. It'll be a close one anyway 

Around the Network
Otter said:
trunkswd said:

I was expecting Xbox Series X|S to outsell PS5 in the US. Mainly because the PS4 only outsold the Xbox One by 5 million in the US. And now this generation Xbox has more exclusives than with Xbox One. 

The thing is, although Xbox One done surprisingly well in the US,a 5m loss is a lot. And thats a lot of users who would have been brought into the PS echosystem and may not have any reason to leave. When the tides change and favour one system, it takes more than just underdog to do well, it also requires the market leader to do badly. Stock right now is Sonys only major point. The exclusives from Xbox can make a difference but I don't think we'll be seeing the most important ones until generation is already on its tail end. Gamepass could be enough for some people to jump ship entirely but I personally wouldn't take that bet. It'll be a close one anyway 

5 million is pretty small when worldwide the gap was nearly 70 million. In 2022 the Xbox Series X|S has outsold the PS5 by about 460K and the two have sold nearly the same amount. PS5 has sold 7.23M in the US and XS has sold 7.04M

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Mandalore76 said:

At this point last generation, Sony had already sold nearly 23m consoles.  XBox One had only sold 12.5m.

PlatformWeekly (change)Total
PS4169,770(-8%)22,951,359
XOne81,533(-5%)12,562,838

I had forgotten it was a 10m gap last gen when looking at the 5m currently. It def will be a closer match this time than last. Maybe not PS3/360 close but much more competitive than PS4/XBO and even PS2/XB

Otter said:
trunkswd said:

5 million in a market the size of the US is not very large, that’s a 46:54 sales split between Xbox:PS. If I recall correctly the sales split between the 360 and PS3 was 65:35 in the US or around that. 

I maintain that North American customers are not brand loyal and unlike the rest of the world does not see much of a functional difference between the PlayStation and Xbox brands. They just buy what is cheap and available and then their friends follow

IcaroRibeiro said:
trunkswd said:

Worldwide that would have been nearly impossible. Most people are predicting a closer gap than the PS4 and Xbox One with Xbox Series X|S only outselling the PS5 in the Americas, and maybe the UK.

Every week Xbox outsell PS5 one or two users come to say Xbox will outsell PS5 by the end of generation 

The opposite is also true.  Every time the PS5 has a good week, Sony fans declare that it can't possibly lose to XBox.

Personally I see both PS5 and X|S to have had a soft launch.  Both systems have hardly any exclusives, nor are they really even getting third party games that are Gen 9 exclusive.  XBox has the advantage when exclusives start coming though because of all of its acquisitions.  The fact that XBox has been doing so well against PS5 so far, before major exclusives enter the picture, does not bode well for PS5.

Around the Network

What was this week last year that the Switch was at over 450k?

Kakadu18 said:

Golden Week in Japan, plus Monster Hunter Rise was still fresh enough to move some hardware globally.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
Kakadu18 said:

Golden Week in Japan, plus Monster Hunter Rise was still fresh enough to move some hardware globally.

I know about Golden Week. Last year it boosted hardware much more than this year. But Monster Hunter boosted hardware more than Switch Sports outside of Japan? That's something.

Kakadu18 said:
RolStoppable said:

I know about Golden Week. Last year it boosted hardware much more than this year. But Monster Hunter boosted hardware more than Switch Sports outside of Japan? That's something.

It's not surprising. A game like Switch Sports has a different trajectory, that goes for both its own software sales as well as the effect on hardware sales.

During the DS and Wii era, Nintendo pointed out repeatedly that there's a delay of approximately six to eight weeks before this type of game can be properly judged. These games are heavily reliant on word of mouth to spread the message (despite TV commercials). This is also probably why Nintendo made no mention of initial Switch Sports sales during their financial briefing.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Yeah is the type of game that a friend plays at your house and decides to get it for himself. Then is just a domino effect.