By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Super Smash Bros. Brawl a bad game?

Tagged games:

Rate Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Amazing game 19 52.78%

Good game 9 25.00%

It's all right 4 11.11%

I don't like it 2 5.56%

Bad game 1 2.78%

Unplayable 1 2.78%

Total:36

When I was a teen, one of my biggest dreams was to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Video games are quite expensive where I live, so I couldn't afford a Wii. However, Super Smash Bros. 64 was one of my favorite games to play with my friends.

After some years, I could finally play Brawl and I got hooked to it. What an amazing experience. Loved the new characters, the Subspace Emissary mode, the cutscenes, everything.

However, I found quite a bunch of people that really hates Brawl. I'm not sure if part of this community is just being toxic, but I couldn't ignore it. It started back in 2012/2013 when a online friend of mine, who is a Melee lover said that Brawl is "a slow paced pile of crap" and the only suitable way to play it was through Project M.

I mean, I love Brawl. It's one of the best experiences I had with gaming. I don't understand where this hate is coming from. The game is not even as slow as they say, it has the best cast of characters (Maybe before Ultimate) and the stages are very fun to play. Also, Subspace Emissary is the best single player experience I found in the series.

So, how do you rate Brawl?

Around the Network

I think every Smash Bros. after the first has been excellent, including Brawl. Melee is still the nearest and dearest to me, since I logged hundreds of hours on it across high school and college, but I love Brawl too — especially for Subspace Emissary. There’s just nothing like it in the other Smash titles.

I have a special place in my heart for Brawl thanks to this very forum. The game was hugely popular on VGC and people would post in the Brawl thread and you'd easily get a lobby of 2 to 4 players to play for the evening. People always knocked the online experience but if you had a way to get many players of your friends list (like hanging out here), it was a great experience.

This is why although Smash 4 and Ultimate are objectively better, my favorite is the series will always be Brawl.

Signature goes here!

It's just about tied with Ultimate as my favorite of the series, pretty much agree with what you wrote about it.

It's slower than Melee sure, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, I enjoy the gameplay of both a ton despite that difference. And I think the roster was the "best" in the sense that they made the most of the number of characters, (except maybe compared to the first one) pretty much all the figthers are ones that I like. Of course having that same whole roster and a bunch more makes Ultimate edge it out a bit in total, but I still like the more compact Brawl roster as well. And then there's Subspace which while not perfect is still an amazing experience to revisit every once in a while. The game also features my favorite incarnations of some of the other modes like classic and target smash.

The only major flaw of the game in my eyes is that it isn't exactly suited for competetive play, but to someone like me that doesn't matter much anyways. And then there's the minor flaw that is random tripping. Sure, it's dumb alright, but it's also just a very minor part of the game, which I can easily live with.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Always thought it was a great game. I was surprised to find out that there were a group of people that didn't. I think it's just mostly hardcore Melee fans that didn't like the slowed down gameplay.

Around the Network

It's really bad competitively but excellent casually. I put a ton of hours into it as a kid trying to get all the trophies and whatnot.

Nah. The main problem is there is a lot of lame stuff you could do to stall and make the game absurdly slow paced. But really only a problem if you're playing with assholes.

No, just an underwhelming sequel.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Yes

But I dislike Smash and personally find it the most strangely high scored franchise yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salty

Brawl is an amazing game, the only problems it had were the random tripping and the unplayable online mode.