By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer group acquires Square Enix Western studios

Sony dropped the ball by not making an offer here. Tomb Raider videogame and movie rights alone would be worth it for Sony in the long run. All the other studios and IP would have been just gravy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I have to admit, I'm puzzled where Embracer (formerly Nordic AB, formerly THQ Nordic AB) is pulling their money from, given that just just last year they bought the second largest boardgame publisher Asmodee for 2.75 billion euros.

SegaHeart said:

Sony might be targeting Square Enix and square do this to bring the price down for Sony to make a move I think?

That was my first thought after this sale. When I think of Square I think of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and PlayStation.

Now that they've ditched their western division, which honestly they severely mishandled, they can now focus on their strengths. Which......is including NFT's and blockchains lol

Hopefully if Sony does acquire Square, they can have Square abandon those insane ambitions lest they eventually become another Konami. 

Crystal Dynamics with a profit margin of 3.6% and Eidos with a profit margin of just 0.65% are barely worth their effort. Embracer Group must think they can turn these companies around.

At this point I hope Sony just buy Square. It's better than see them running their gaming business to invest in NFT and Cripto

Around the Network

That's super cheap. The next tomb raider should make $300m on its own. Wonder if this means Square is getting ready to sell itself off after their games flopping this year.

the-pi-guy said:
Machiavellian said:

I see why MS and Sony is not in the running. People forget but Sony is wrapping up that 3 Bn for Bungie and MS is wrapping up Bliz/Acti so neither probably at this time was interested in anything that could rock the boat on their purchases as well as the administrative effort it takes going through the whole process. It appears that Embracer was at the right moment with the right price at the right time, so they reap the rewards.

The Bungie deal did not stop Sony from announcing acquiring Haven. 

Which of course that's a small acquisition, this one is fairly small too.

Signalstar said:

Sony dropped the ball by not making an offer here. Tomb Raider videogame and movie rights alone would be worth it for Sony in the long run. All the other studios and IP would have been just gravy.

The big issue is, that Uncharted is much bigger than Tomb Raider is now.

The Uncharted movie is a bigger hit than the most successful Tomb Raider movie, which had more of a movie history.

The Uncharted game franchise is of course bigger than Tomb Raider.

Doesn't make the most sense that they'd buy a competing IP, when they already have the bigger one.

That statement always comes with the caveat though of "Not adjusted for inflation".  I'm not arguing which IP is currently more bankable, mind you.  I'm remarking only on the box office comment.  It's worth noting that Domestically, Uncharted ($146m) barely topped Tomb Raider's (131m) unadjusted gross from over 20 years ago.  Where Uncharted mainly succeeded was its foreign gross (63% of Worldwide), which is a box office area that has greatly grown in the decades since 2001.  Tomb Raider's 2001 foreign gross was just 52.3%, while it's reboot got 78.8% of its worldwide gross from the foreign markets for comparison.

Wait, why was SE selling them again? Were they really underperforming that badly?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

SegaHeart said:
HoloDust said:

I have to admit, I'm puzzled where Embracer (formerly Nordic AB, formerly THQ Nordic AB) is pulling their money from, given that just just last year they bought the second largest boardgame publisher Asmodee for 2.75 billion euros.

2.75 billion for a board game? Shessh foot-in-mouthEMbracer doing undercover dirty things or their country is lending them money or something going on?

In last 7-8 years ago Asmodee was on shopping spree and acquired and/or merged with quite a few big boardgame publishers, making them practically the biggest boardgame publisher in "hobby/designer" boardgames business (Hasbro still being the first overall due to its focus on mainstream audience with classics like Monopoly and Scrabble, along with Dungeons & Dragons and Magic the Gathering both being under their roof as well).

So yeah, I'm not sure where Embracer got that kind of money to acquire Asmodee, but it's helluva cashcow.

I’d personally like Square Enix to split into Square and Enix again.

With the Square half going to Sony and the Enix half going to Nintendo. Dragon Quest has probably been my favorite Square Enix franchise of the past few years and it’s a great fit for Nintendo.