By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer group acquires Square Enix Western studios

SegaHeart said:

The upcoming years and this was april 2022 and they still have 8 billion or more?

I have a feeling that in 5-6 years, Embracer will be the subject of “What the hell happened?” articles.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
SanAndreasX said:

I’d personally like Square Enix to split into Square and Enix again.

With the Square half going to Sony and the Enix half going to Nintendo. Dragon Quest has probably been my favorite Square Enix franchise of the past few years and it’s a great fit for Nintendo.

Enix side does like Nintendo alot, is Triangle Strady and Bravely Default 2 an Enix thing ? I know Dragon Quest 11 S was superior on Nintendo Switch. If Square Enix does split then Nintendo will get something great out of this? and Sony Gets Square Soft? Though That would mean Sony buying cheaper Square Soft can buy another 3rd party japanese publisher easier save capcom from a certain monsrter

That's an interesting question. BD is basically a spinoff of FF3, similar to how the SaGa series is basically a spinoff of FF2 (the job system, the Warriors of Light thing). Triangle Strategy is more of a FF Tactics thing. Nintendo should honestly buy these IPs.

Dragon Quest's developers always seem to have had better relationships with Nintendo than Final Fantasy developers did. Enix never completely cut off Nintendo the way Square did, and I am pretty sure that the reconciliation between Nintendo and Square Enix that occurred during the GC era was probably facilitiated by the company's Enix management. Every Dragon Quest game is available on a Nintendo platform.

So... there are rumors that Microsoft paid $100 million for 1 year of exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider back in 2015. So now you get the whole IP, plus the studio that made it (plus a whole lot of other stuff) for $300 million? What? Has Square Enix mismanaged these studios that badly?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

PotentHerbs said:
Machiavellian said:

You really do not know.  None of us know until each company gets approval.  We are on the outside looking in and have no real clue what is going on and the discussions, meetings and what not.  Just think of it this way, until you get things signed, its best not to go into anything believing it will just work.  Even still 3Bn is a tidy sum and Sony probably have a lot of work between now and when the sale is complete before doing anything else.

While that is true, there aren't reports from Bloomberg or Jason Schreier, about the Bungie deal being in danger of falling apart.

IIRC, Jason Schreier brought up the challenges of regulatory approval shortly after the Activision buyout was announced. We also didn't have any senators talk about Sony/Bungie with the same scrutiny as Microsoft/Activision Blizzard.

Just because there are no reports do not mean there isn't a lot of communication going on.  We have reports that regulators are going to be more aggressive on large purchases and they did not say just MS, they said all purchases in the tech space. Trust me, I have gone through a number of these purchase and its a lot of work.  Everything does not get reported all the time.  It only takes one competitor that sends a letter to get things started.  Also businesses like for a smooth journey through the process, no conditions or other BS from regulators to get the job done.

Crazy deal.. Embracer is also paying their debts as well so its much more than the 300M would suggest.

On a side note. Please bring back Sleeping Dogs Embracer. That IP deserves another chance!

Last edited by hinch - on 02 May 2022

Around the Network

I still can't believe this deal happened. Embracer can make their money back on this deal so easily. If Embracer has a single game sell 10 million copies at $60 a piece, they've literally doubled the amount they spent on all of Square's western divisions. That's how little Square valued it.

Square will start trashing all of their IP's. I'm worried for upcoming Square games that will have no business having NFT's, but will.

gtotheunit91 said:

I still can't believe this deal happened. Embracer can make their money back on this deal so easily. If Embracer has a single game sell 10 million copies at $60 a piece, they've literally doubled the amount they spent on all of Square's western divisions. That's how little Square valued it.

Square will start trashing all of their IP's. I'm worried for upcoming Square games that will have no business having NFT's, but will.

Pump more into FF games. They print money.

hinch said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Seeing one of the biggest reasons Square sold their western division was to further invest into blockchain gaming, makes me worry that Square is going to start losing even more players if they start infecting their core franchises like FF and Kingdom Hearts with stuff like this. 

If I see FFVII Remake Part 2 or Kingdom Heart IV has NFT's, I'm out. 

hinch said:

gtotheunit91 said:

Well, SE's strategy after the sale mentioned they will further dabble in amazing concepts like blockchain and the cloud.

So yeah, NFTs are unfortunately more likely than FFs, though a IX remake is supposedly on the works.

gtotheunit91 said:
hinch said:

Seeing one of the biggest reasons Square sold their western division was to further invest into blockchain gaming, makes me worry that Square is going to start losing even more players if they start infecting their core franchises like FF and Kingdom Hearts with stuff like this. 

If I see FFVII Remake Part 2 or Kingdom Heart IV has NFT's, I'm out. 

and @haxxiy

SE explains the reasoning for the selling here..

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20220502%20A_Press%20Release_fin.pdf

"The Transaction will assist the Company in adapting to the changes underway in the global business environment by establishing a more efficient allocation of resources, which will enhance corporate value by accelerating growth in the Company's core businesses in the digital entertainment domain. In addition, the Transaction enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud. The move is based on the policy of business structure optimization that the Company set forth under the medium-term business strategy unveiled on May 13, 2021.

The Transaction will also provide an opportunity to better align our overseas publishing function with our organization in Tokyo, revisit the current governance structure and associated reporting lines, and advance integrated group management with the goal of maximizing the worldwide revenue generated from future titles launched by the group's studios in Japan and abroad.

Going forward, the Company's development function will comprise its studios in Japan, Square Enix External Studios, and Square Enix Collective. The Company's overseas studios will continue to publish franchises such as JUST CAUSE, OUTRIDERS, and Life is Strange."

In short they'll invest into blockchain AND double down on their more successful parts of the business, which definitely includes Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts etc.

They are basically trimming off their not much profitable western output, while testing the waters with blockchain and NFT. Why they would suddenly stop making quality games that give them revenue? :s