By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Between the Big three (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo), who is the worst when at the top?

MS has never been at the top so I can't consider them truly in the discussion. With that said, all 3 have had their moments of coming off a high and losing sight of things. Hard to say which was the worst. Ps2 to Ps3 was pretty bad but so was X360 to Xbox one, potentially the worst. Wii to WiiU was not great either, but Nintendo is the least offender in this regard.

Around the Network

Hard to say tbh. Nintendo on top released the 3DS/WiiU. Although the Wii U was underpowered and had its flaws that generation still had. a lot of amazing games.
Sony at the top released the PS3 which was a really bulky/overp[riced console at launch with lackluster online gaming capabilities but over the generation their online service improved and so did their first-party output.
Microsoft at the top released the Xbox One which at launch forced consumers to buy the Kinect and had a focus on being more of an entertainment system than a gaming one. But this was short-lived as they got a new head of Xbox, dropped the Kinect after 6 months, and later in the generation, they revamped their first party and introduced gamepass.

But right now Sony is on top again and the PS5 is a pretty good console and the PS2 was a good console to follow up the PS1.

Leynos said:

Sony. They were insanely arrogant in the PS2 era. Worst designed console for devs to work on. 2 controller ports. Very faulty hardware. They didn't care as they knew people would flock to them. They carried this thinking with PS3 with the horrible marketing. $600 price tag. Told people to get 2 jobs. Said rumble was last-gen tech. They crammed a bunch of unnecessary crap in PS3 no one needed to justify their price. They said Nextgen doesn't start until they said it did. The PSP while I love it, had horrible racist ads. The memory stick was costly. Sony was not kind to developers and many bailed in favor of 360.

PS4 was a massive success so now with PS5 Sony started censoring Japanese games but not western as a double standard. Censor what you can tweet from the console. Still stingy about cross-play, even Nintendo embraced that. Jim Ryan telling people no one wants to play old games. Now they are locking people out of PS1 purchases. Tried to shut down PS3 store even tho MS keeps 360s open.

Don't try and bring up the Xbox One reveal. The thing is Microsoft has NEVER been on top. MS acted like that in THIRD PLACE. So as the topic asks who's the worst when on TOP is Sony.

Bolded: This makes me shudder at the thought of MS being at the top.

hinch said:
Machiavellian said:

When I say MS tries harder, I am not talking about missteps, I am talking about trying to gain customers.  I agree all OEMs have at one point or another had to make up for mistakes they have made in the past.  Hell even now Sony charges all first party games 70 bucks and charge for upgrades from PS4 to PS5.  The thing is, Sony nor Nintendo really have played in last place and currently MS works harder for your coin then Sony or Nintendo.  I personally would not want MS on top because just like any company then they play different.  Now they switch to suppressing competition and instead of looking for ways to gain customers.

When I state that MS gets more scrutiny its because of their history and their size.  When MS purchase a business its always viewed as if they seek a monopoly while Sony and Nintendo are afforded way more Leniency.

I mean there is a reason for it. They recently bought out two of the largest and most influential publishers/devs in the world and control some of the biggest IP's in the video games industry and can do so without breaking as a single sweat. They can afford to buy out companies and gobble up different markets and grow more. MS have have been hit with a few anti-trust laws in the past so really extending that to gaming isn't a hard stretch considering they bought out Zenimax/Bethesda AND Blizzard Activision in the space of 2 years.

No other than a few select companies like Google, Amazon, Meta and Apple has the buying power to gobble up the big players and it does concern other platforms that cannot compete.

I believe you are forgetting Embracer group which from what we have seen has purchased a lot of studios.  Yes, I am not denying that MS deserve the attention pretty much stated its because of their size and history.

jason1637 said:

Hard to say tbh. Nintendo on top released the 3DS/WiiU. Although the Wii U was underpowered and had its flaws that generation still had. a lot of amazing games.
Sony at the top released the PS3 which was a really bulky/overp[riced console at launch with lackluster online gaming capabilities but over the generation their online service improved and so did their first-party output.
Microsoft at the top released the Xbox One which at launch forced consumers to buy the Kinect and had a focus on being more of an entertainment system than a gaming one. But this was short-lived as they got a new head of Xbox, dropped the Kinect after 6 months, and later in the generation, they revamped their first party and introduced gamepass.

But right now Sony is on top again and the PS5 is a pretty good console and the PS2 was a good console to follow up the PS1.

Do not limit the discussion to just the hardware, we need to view the entire business as a whole and the decisions from hardware, Sofware, services, support and games.  

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

Do not limit the discussion to just the hardware, we need to view the entire business as a whole and the decisions from hardware, Sofware, services, support and games.  

I did mention most of those things besides maybe support. All 3 have been good with indies. MS with live arcade and ID@Xbox, Nintendo with showcasing indies in their directs and Sony with the support they put towards indies the last few generations. 

PotentHerbs said:

Would honestly be Microsoft.

They would turn gaming into subscription services similar to Office365 and Microsoft Word. One time purchases will be changed into monthly fees to essentially rent a game. As anti consumer as Sony and Nintendo have been recently, Microsoft trying to double the cost of XBLG is by far the worst consumer practice in recent memory, despite walking back on that.

What a hyperbole statement with nothing to actually back it up. Last I checked, every game on Game Pass can be bought separately and is not required to access any games. Unlike PS Now which is required to access ps1-ps3 games and will continue that way with the new PS+ essential and Premium subscription. Tell me if I'm wrong, but even Nintendo Online Expansion Pack legacy games require a subscription to play and can't be bought separately. So please, tell us how anti-consumer MS is when the competition is the one actually hiding games behind a subscription?  

The doubling cost of Gold was dumb and they realize that and backed off within a day. If that is the worst thing MS has done, and they didn't even follow through with it, then whatever. 

Doctor_MG said:
ConservagameR said:

I think it's literally both. If MS anticipated 8th gen would go mostly if not full online, or if they could force that, then grabbing as much market share as possible would have been of upmost importance. This would explain why they wanted to basically force you to find a way to get online so you could be on XB One, and at the same time, be locked into their ecosystem where they didn't have to be too generous. Since that didn't work out, look how more open and generous they've become.

The biggest PS3 problem almost has to be the entry price. Most console gamers are casual consumers and many of the purchases are made by the parents, who don't want to spend any more than they have to as long as their kids will still have fun. Value doesn't mean much to most once the asking price is just too high. Since that didn't work out, look how they solved the price problem with PS3 Slim and every console since.

Yes, in general, the closer the major competitors remain in terms of market share and profits, the more it will benefit the gamers, and yes, when any company is asking for it, they deserve to pay for their negative actions so they become more reasonable or so they don't do it again, period.

Bold 1: : "if they could force that" that is exactly the anti-consumerism I am talking about. There was no need at the time to force an always online connection. 

Bold 2: Most early adopters are neither casual gamers or parents. In fact, Sony was pretty famous for going after the over 20 crowd in comparison to their contemporaries. 

Bold 3: I'm not stating they deserved higher sales. I'm stating that, in comparison to the Xbox One, PS3 had a value associated with its higher price point. Xbox One had kinect to blame for its expense, PS3 had blu ray functionality, PS1, PS2 BC, and wifi out of the gate. In comparison, I can see why PS3 was more costly. 

As far as I remember, Sony planned to bundle a camera with every PS4 at first, but by E3, had decided not to. Sony may have figured a $400 price point without the camera was better than $500 with it, which would've been the right move considering that's what XB One did and it backfired. MS also knew Sony had purchased Gaikai for cloud streaming at the very latest by mid 2012 when it was officially announced. These are just a few of the reasons that MS may have assumed Sony would go even more entertainment beyond PS3 and more even more online. If you're XB, the last thing you want to allow is for PS to get a head start. MS saw how valuable the lead was with PS2 vs XBOX and 360 vs PS3. So from that perspective, MS really wouldn't care too much about online anti consumerism because that's what they may have thought Sony was going to do. It's also possible MS didn't care about Sony at all and made all these decisions on their own accord. It's hard to say exactly which is correct, I'm just offering another possibility that led to the same outcome, but with slightly less greedy intentions.

This is true. Early adopters are more hardcore. I think I may have been incorrect in saying the price was the biggest factor, but price would be a close second. Thinking it through more, I'd say the 365 day head start the PS3 gave the 360 was the biggest problem. Now if PS3 launched alongside 360, the sales gap likely would've been much smaller. Once you gain a lead and momentum it takes a heck of a lot for the competition to overcome that. PS3 was slowly able to, but the biggest momentum shifter was when they launched a much cheaper Slim model due to not only manufacturing advancements but by also removing BC. Something the casuals don't care near as much about as the hardcore.

Well if Sony did scrap the camera bundle idea for PS4, that pretty much proves your point. The PS3 no doubt offered better value than XB One, especially since that was in 2006, but it's hard to say if it was a better decision or not based on the launch and outcome vs PS2. XB One launched alongside PS4, so that's much easier to compare than 360 to PS3 with the year long launch gap. Nobody can really say if PS3 launching alongside 360 would've made a huge difference for certain, we can only make an educated guess.

LudicrousSpeed said:
SvennoJ said:

Semantics. They were erasing the possibility of selling used games on Ebay, garage sales, giving or lending them to friends. The plan was to have select retailers join a buy back program in which MS would get a cut when a store would buy a game back from you. (Or when it was sold again, don't remember exactly)

No idea even if it would be a worldwide program or how long it would have taken to set up a world wide program. Yet from the start all you got was a license tied to your account with 24hr check ins by the console. When selling the game back to an authorized retailer your license would be revoked. It basically turned all physical games into digital licenses.

MS tried to smooth it over a bit by talking about game sharing and the ability to sell on digital games. Yet the positives never emerged, even though that could still be easily done regardless of 'killing' the physical market.

Semantics, lol. Not at all. Used games still would have been entirely possible. Like I said, the plan was trash, but it wasn’t “erasing used games”.

Turning physical discs into nothing more than a digital license is erasing used games. That they were planning to allow select retailers to buy back that license to sell it on to the next customer doesn't change the fact that the disc is essentially useless on its own. The plans would have changed physical discs into nothing more than a download code. Which is happening anyway with more and more games :( (However you can still trade those games since the disc remains the 'owner' of the license)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 23 April 2022

I don't know enough about Microsoft to know what they're like on top.
Sony starts pumping up prices because "If people want it, they'll pay for it" at the end of the PS2 era - but I don't recall anything crazy out of the PS4 era.

I find Nintendo is the opposite. They're most arrogance and quality of support is worst when they're at the bottom. A good example is when their CEO, Hiroshi Yamauchi, began insulting RPG fans because he was angry with PSX finding success with the genre. At the same time, Yamauchi became hostile toward third parties, particularly Square, closing off possibility of Square developing more games for Nintendo platforms. Nintendo would also fluff up their announcements by showing many games that would either never come to materialize or appear years later as something different than what we were shown - sometimes even coming out on other consoles. During the SNES, Wii/DS, and Switch eras - this stuff didn't happen nearly as often (the only even remotely problematic game that comes to mind right now of those announced during the Switch era is Breath of the Wild 2). And being on top in the handheld didn't seem to stop their bad behaviour in the home console sphere, because they had Gameboy/GBA and 3DS during the N64, Gamecube, and Wii U eras.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.