By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Between the Big three (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo), who is the worst when at the top?

Kneetos said:

While Microsoft were never in 1st place console wise, I would argue that they were the best of the 3 during the ps360-wii days

Call of duty had exclusivity deals with Microsoft, and even some Japanese games made it over there in the case of blue dragon.
It wasn't until the end of the generation where Microsoft shifted the 360 from more of a console to more of a "service" box. If Microsoft kept up what made the 360 a better choice then the ps3 then sony might have been in 3rd place that gen.

As an aside I would like to point out that the xbox 360 sold the most software that gen, so saying xbox got "dead last" just because they sold the least HW, and not even by that much, seems a bit unfair

I disagree. MS was still the only console to force paid online during that generation. That alone makes them the worst. But in addition they had RROD fiasco, which as long as they sold consoles, they didn't care about the quality of their consoles until the media and people made a ruckus. MS used their favorable position... and created the kinect and then the Xbox One.

@bold, while it is true that the 360 may have sold more SW than the Wii or the PS3, I still can't give them the SW win because Nintendo and Sony still sold more SW than MS during the 360 era.

Also IIRC 360 total software sales are unconfirmed, so the PS3 and Wii are still within the margin of error.

Around the Network

Oh Nintendo, they're so toxic, they constantly do shitty, shady things, and they treat their fans like shit, and it doesn't even matter because the fans will buy the product anyways.

Some in this thread are mistaken in regards to MS and used games on Xbox One. Their original plan was very shitty, but they weren’t erasing used games. They had plans with retailers to offer trade ins for games and sell used titles.

Who knows how all that would work, and again, it would have been very shitty. I imagine trade in values for games would be extremely small. But they weren’t erasing used games.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Some in this thread are mistaken in regards to MS and used games on Xbox One. Their original plan was very shitty, but they weren’t erasing used games. They had plans with retailers to offer trade ins for games and sell used titles.

Who knows how all that would work, and again, it would have been very shitty. I imagine trade in values for games would be extremely small. But they weren’t erasing used games.

Semantics. They were erasing the possibility of selling used games on Ebay, garage sales, giving or lending them to friends. The plan was to have select retailers join a buy back program in which MS would get a cut when a store would buy a game back from you. (Or when it was sold again, don't remember exactly)

No idea even if it would be a worldwide program or how long it would have taken to set up a world wide program. Yet from the start all you got was a license tied to your account with 24hr check ins by the console. When selling the game back to an authorized retailer your license would be revoked. It basically turned all physical games into digital licenses.

MS tried to smooth it over a bit by talking about game sharing and the ability to sell on digital games. Yet the positives never emerged, even though that could still be easily done regardless of 'killing' the physical market.

Welp, splatoon 3 release date dropped
Nintendo can't be the worst :V

Only 1 of those statements is true

Last edited by Kneetos - on 22 April 2022

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Semantics. They were erasing the possibility of selling used games on Ebay, garage sales, giving or lending them to friends. The plan was to have select retailers join a buy back program in which MS would get a cut when a store would buy a game back from you. (Or when it was sold again, don't remember exactly)

No idea even if it would be a worldwide program or how long it would have taken to set up a world wide program. Yet from the start all you got was a license tied to your account with 24hr check ins by the console. When selling the game back to an authorized retailer your license would be revoked. It basically turned all physical games into digital licenses.

MS tried to smooth it over a bit by talking about game sharing and the ability to sell on digital games. Yet the positives never emerged, even though that could still be easily done regardless of 'killing' the physical market.

Semantics, lol. Not at all. Used games still would have been entirely possible. Like I said, the plan was trash, but it wasn’t “erasing used games”.

Doctor_MG said:
Machiavellian said:

I disagree.  I have stated before I like MS as the underdog and working in last place then first because they definitely try harder then both Nintendo and Sony but MS has never been in the top spot.  All of them had one bad season for their consoles but only Sony and Nintendo gets the advantage of people letting it go.  MS on the other hand is always viewed in a different light and under more scrutiny.  When MS screwed up, they got rid of the problem pronto, when Sony and Nintendo screw up, they continue as usual.

I'm going to disagree that they try harder than Sony and Nintendo. I'm also going to disagree about your perceptions regarding Nintendo and Sony "going on as usual". Microsoft's biggest misstep was a software issue (online drm). Which they still haven't quite fixed as the Series product line still requires an internet connection to set up for the first time where Switch and PS5 do not. MS instead pivoted and went for improved image. They stopped talking about always online and pivoted to BC and eventually Gamepass. MS fixed some things too (i.e. removing Kinect to decrease price, better hardware in series consoles), but similar things have been done with Nintendo and Sony consoles in the past (N64 and GameCube slashed their prices significantly, then you have 2ds, PS3 removed BC in order to lower the price, created ps+ to improve online play). Sony and Nintendos missteps have been mostly at the hardware level or even naming conventions (Wii U instead of Wii 2). You can't just change the entire technical specifications of the console. You have to ride it out.

I'm also going to disagree with MS being under more scrutiny. Series X, 360, and original Xbox were all praised quite heavily. 

When I say MS tries harder, I am not talking about missteps, I am talking about trying to gain customers.  I agree all OEMs have at one point or another had to make up for mistakes they have made in the past.  Hell even now Sony charges all first party games 70 bucks and charge for upgrades from PS4 to PS5.  The thing is, Sony nor Nintendo really have played in last place and currently MS works harder for your coin then Sony or Nintendo.  I personally would not want MS on top because just like any company then they play different.  Now they switch to suppressing competition and instead of looking for ways to gain customers.

When I state that MS gets more scrutiny its because of their history and their size.  When MS purchase a business its always viewed as if they seek a monopoly while Sony and Nintendo are afforded way more Leniency.

Machiavellian said:
Doctor_MG said:

I'm going to disagree that they try harder than Sony and Nintendo. I'm also going to disagree about your perceptions regarding Nintendo and Sony "going on as usual". Microsoft's biggest misstep was a software issue (online drm). Which they still haven't quite fixed as the Series product line still requires an internet connection to set up for the first time where Switch and PS5 do not. MS instead pivoted and went for improved image. They stopped talking about always online and pivoted to BC and eventually Gamepass. MS fixed some things too (i.e. removing Kinect to decrease price, better hardware in series consoles), but similar things have been done with Nintendo and Sony consoles in the past (N64 and GameCube slashed their prices significantly, then you have 2ds, PS3 removed BC in order to lower the price, created ps+ to improve online play). Sony and Nintendos missteps have been mostly at the hardware level or even naming conventions (Wii U instead of Wii 2). You can't just change the entire technical specifications of the console. You have to ride it out.

I'm also going to disagree with MS being under more scrutiny. Series X, 360, and original Xbox were all praised quite heavily. 

When I say MS tries harder, I am not talking about missteps, I am talking about trying to gain customers.  I agree all OEMs have at one point or another had to make up for mistakes they have made in the past.  Hell even now Sony charges all first party games 70 bucks and charge for upgrades from PS4 to PS5.  The thing is, Sony nor Nintendo really have played in last place and currently MS works harder for your coin then Sony or Nintendo.  I personally would not want MS on top because just like any company then they play different.  Now they switch to suppressing competition and instead of looking for ways to gain customers.

When I state that MS gets more scrutiny its because of their history and their size.  When MS purchase a business its always viewed as if they seek a monopoly while Sony and Nintendo are afforded way more Leniency.

I mean there is a reason for it. They recently bought out two of the largest and most influential publishers/devs in the world and control some of the biggest IP's in the video games industry and can do so without breaking as a single sweat. They can afford to buy out companies and gobble up different markets and grow more. MS have have been hit with a few anti-trust laws in the past so really extending that to gaming isn't a hard stretch considering they bought out Zenimax/Bethesda AND Blizzard Activision in the space of 2 years.

No other than a few select companies like Google, Amazon, Meta and Apple has the buying power to gobble up the big players and it does concern other platforms that cannot compete.

CaptainExplosion said:

To me, Nintendo's still worse at the top. Downplaying Joycon drift, overpriced subscription service, said subscription service being inadequate, excessively harsh punishments for copyright infringement, and shutting down Smash Bros. events over mods.

Something we agree on, drift is a major issue.  I've gone through 3 joy cons.  

Would honestly be Microsoft.

They would turn gaming into subscription services similar to Office365 and Microsoft Word. One time purchases will be changed into monthly fees to essentially rent a game. As anti consumer as Sony and Nintendo have been recently, Microsoft trying to double the cost of XBLG is by far the worst consumer practice in recent memory, despite walking back on that.