By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 16, 2022 - (11th Apr - 17th Apr)

IcaroRibeiro said:

That was because Playstation 4 was dying. I wasn't expecting PS5 to struggle that much to gain ground. Third parties aren't growing in Japan, they are declining. Third parties don't sell on Switch nearly as much as they used to sell on DS, and unlike during 3DS times we have no Vita/PS3/PS4 to push Third party sales

I'm very confused why nobody address this as problem. Won't that hurt Japan market in long therm ? 

A lot of the third parties in this situation have only themselves to blame the Switch's success in Japan hasn't exactly been a secret yet a significant number of them looked else where only to find themselves now scrambling to establish a userbase on the platform they overlooked, mean while the developers who embraced the platform are doing fine with some of those games matching first party titles in success.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is only 700k more than World that impressive considering how many times bigger Switch is compared PS4? People always argued World sales were a big flop compared to previous installment, which is always find baseless as World is more expensive and lack the portability but alas this is beyond the point. Both Rise and World are selling less than previous installment, I'm falling to find many third party IPs that are selling more in Japan than they used to 

Monster Hunter 4 was with 4.1mil the best selling Monster Hunter on 3DS and Rise is just below it after it's first year. It'll top it this year without issue.

Btw Story of Seasons: PoOt I think sold more than previous games used to sell but I'm not sure. It had the by far biggest launch of the franchise anyway.

Best selling was actually Freedom 3 on PSP/PS3 (DL) (4.9m) then Generations (4.3m) with Generations being the best selling on a single platform as it only released in Japan with Ultimate (4.4m) being the multiplatform version, Rise will be around 4.1m as we know digital is about 1.8m going by Capcom's comments when they said half of the reported 7.5m in Q2 (FY) last year was from Japan, going by this number and Famitsu's current physical estimate it would put Rise at roughly 4.1m already and that's if digital hasn't moved since then.

Wyrdness said:
Kakadu18 said:

Monster Hunter 4 was with 4.1mil the best selling Monster Hunter on 3DS and Rise is just below it after it's first year. It'll top it this year without issue.

Btw Story of Seasons: PoOt I think sold more than previous games used to sell but I'm not sure. It had the by far biggest launch of the franchise anyway.

Best selling was actually Freedom 3 on PSP/PS3 (DL) (4.9m) then Generations (4.3m) with Generations being the best selling on a single platform as it only released in Japan with Ultimate (4.4m) being the multiplatform version, Rise will be around 4.1m as we know digital is about 1.8m going by Capcom's comments when they said half of the reported 7.5m in Q2 (FY) last year was from Japan, going by this number and Famitsu's current physical estimate it would put Rise at roughly 4.1m already and that's if digital hasn't moved since then.

I know Freedom 3/Portable 3rd is the best selling. I said on 3DS and in Japan. Both MH4 Ultimate and MH Generations obviously globally outsold MH4, that was only released in Japan, but neither actually reached 4mil in Japan, only the original MH4 did, on the 3DS. Rise is definitely outperforming that.

Third Parties on the Switch by Year:

2017 - 1.2M

2018 - 3.5M

2019 - 5.9M

2020 - 8.1M

2021 - 11M

Third Parties on the PlayStation by Year:

2017 - 10M

2018 - 10.2M

2019 - 7.9M

2020 - 6.3M

2021 - 4M

Media Create Top 1000 gives a far clearer picture and Switch's third party support has already beaten PS4's peak last year. 

At this point it's irreversible for the forseable future as the PS5 is going to struggle to even hit 1M third party sales in the country 

noshten said:

Third Parties on the Switch by Year:

2017 - 1.2M

2018 - 3.5M

2019 - 5.9M

2020 - 8.1M

2021 - 11M

Third Parties on the PlayStation by Year:

2017 - 10M

2018 - 10.2M

2019 - 7.9M

2020 - 6.3M

2021 - 4M

Media Create Top 1000 gives a far clearer picture and Switch's third party support has already beaten PS4's peak last year. 

At this point it's irreversible for the forseable future as the PS5 is going to struggle to even hit 1M third party sales in the country 

Do you see 2022 being significantly down for Switch? 

Last edited by Otter - on 25 April 2022

Around the Network

Isn't that because there haven't been as many 3rd party releases this year?
At least not as many heavy hitters like momotaro or monster hunter

The decline in third party sales in Japan is their own fault for continuing to refuse to properly support the system that's dominating Japan.

If you throw everything you have behind a declining platform while allocating only scraps to the market leader, it's hardly surprising if your sales drop.

The last four years now have seen third party sales constantly rise on Switch and constantly fall on Playstation, in spite of third parties strongly favouring the latter.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 April 2022

curl-6 said:

The decline in third party sales in Japan is their own fault for continuing to back the losing side instead of the system that dominates the Japanese market.

If you throw everything you have behind a declining platform while allocating only scraps to the market leader, it's hardly surprising if your sales drop.

The last four years now have seen third party sales constantly rise on Switch and constantly fall on Playstation, in spite of third parties strongly favouring the latter.

I'm not sure about that. I mean, yeah, Switch is dominating Japan, but still, we see third party games selling way lower than Nintendo games.

With that many consoles sold, you would expect a decent third party game to sell more than 20k at first week.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

The decline in third party sales in Japan is their own fault for continuing to back the losing side instead of the system that dominates the Japanese market.

I'm not sure about that. I mean, yeah, Switch is dominating Japan, but still, we see third party games selling way lower than Nintendo games.

With that many consoles sold, you would expect a decent third party game to sell more than 20k at first week.

Not sure what this suppose to mean because a lot of games will sell lower than Nintendo games releasing on switch or not.

Or do you mean late ports on switch? Because that’s the majority of third party releases.

Well lets compare same day release 3rd party games.

04./00. [NSW] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 12.704 / NEW <60-80%>
06./00. [PS4] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 9.421 / NEW <60-80%>

Koei Tecmo is the type of publisher to have supported the Switch since day 1. This is their reward.

05./00. [NSW] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 10.764 / NEW <80-100%>
27./00. [PS4] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 1.438 / NEW <40-60%>

Another one.