By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 16, 2022 - (11th Apr - 17th Apr)

Farsala said:

Well lets compare same day release 3rd party games.

04./00. [NSW] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 12.704 / NEW <60-80%>
06./00. [PS4] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 9.421 / NEW <60-80%>

Koei Tecmo is the type of publisher to have supported the Switch since day 1. This is their reward.

05./00. [NSW] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 10.764 / NEW <80-100%>
27./00. [PS4] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 1.438 / NEW <40-60%>

Another one.

That's all? I'm pretty sure I saw a few that ps4 sold more on released day. 

That's just for last week sales I see

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Farsala said:

Well lets compare same day release 3rd party games.

04./00. [NSW] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 12.704 / NEW <60-80%>
06./00. [PS4] Winning Post 9 2022 (Koei Tecmo) {2022.04.14} (¥7.800) - 9.421 / NEW <60-80%>

Koei Tecmo is the type of publisher to have supported the Switch since day 1. This is their reward.

05./00. [NSW] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 10.764 / NEW <80-100%>
27./00. [PS4] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers (FuRyu) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 1.438 / NEW <40-60%>

Another one.

That's all? I'm pretty sure I saw more that ps4 sold more on released day

My post history for Famitsu threads has a lot of these comparisons. Nothing really stands out though.

Farsala said:
Pinkie_pie said:

That's all? I'm pretty sure I saw more that ps4 sold more on released day

My post history for Famitsu threads has a lot of these comparisons. Nothing really stands out though.

Yeah I just noticed the comparison was only for last week sales

curl-6 said:

The decline in third party sales in Japan is their own fault for continuing to refuse to properly support the system that's dominating Japan.

If you throw everything you have behind a declining platform while allocating only scraps to the market leader, it's hardly surprising if your sales drop.

The last four years now have seen third party sales constantly rise on Switch and constantly fall on Playstation, in spite of third parties strongly favouring the latter.

Except by the games that can't run on Switch (Capcom, Square, etc) it has been a while most of games are released on both Switch and Playstation. There is an almost perfect transition from PS4 third party sales to Switch third party sales on going since Switch found success 

However those sales are still pale compared to that they used to be years ago (3DS/Vita/PS3). The graphs were clear, third party sales are declining while Nintendo first party are growing. PS4 third party sales were also smaller than PS3 third party sales, while Switch is barely earning the third party sales they already owned on 3DS

In the end, the truth is most of people buy primarily Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms, thats why third party split for Nintendo was always smaller than Playstation's (or conversely, you can state first party split was just far smaller on PS4), hence why a market where there is only Switch with relevance is further reducing the importance of third parties.

This is concerning for the future of the market and as Japan is the second most prolific market to create games this is likely to affect the output of games, with Japanese third party having even hard time to keep competitive with technology as they have no money to compete fairly not even with Nintendo games that are arguably smaller budget compared to western games 

Thankfully JP devs are finding a way to sell their games outside Japan, that's can save them from this dark ages of Nintendo domination. 

Some games Global appeal depend on them being built around more powerful hardware and wowing with their scale and technology (Elden Ring/Monster Hunter World/Resident Evil... historically mainline Final Fantasy)

Others games do not and in fact the developers can barely take advantage of PS4 hardware, either through lack of experience, budget or simply through a preference of artstyle.

It's just important for developers to be smart in deciding what platform to base their development on and whether their primary audience will in Japan or be in the West. Something like Soul Hackers 2 could easily be built with Switch as the primary platform in mind and not loose any appeal amongst playstation gamers WW. Something like Tales of Arise is somewhere in the middle, and the recent peak the franchise has seen is definitely associated with its quality of presentation. Something like Monster Hunter World or Elden Ring, would simply not be the same huge success WW if built primarily for Switch.

I'm actually more in the boat of thinking that although platform plays a role, its more the direction of games that 3rd parties are developing that is holding them back in Japan. There's such a huge gulf between what Monster Hunter achieved on Playstation 4 and what pretty much any other games was able to sell. Even with its fairly modest 10m audience, PS4 should of had many more million sellers and a least a handful of 2m sellers.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Farsala said:

Yeah I just noticed the comparison was only for last week sales

My most recent post on it was this one: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9364347

Which certainly was disappointing, also reminds me to do some legs updates. Last known sales.

Week 11

29./22. [NSW] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2022.02.24} (¥7.800) - 1.634 / 23.456 <80-100%> (-44%)

Week 10

22./05. [NSW] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2022.02.24} (¥7.800) - 2.910 / 21.822 <60-80%> (-85%)

26./04. [PS4] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2022.02.24} (¥7.800) - 2.296 / 24.400 <60-80%> (-90%)

NSW version was legging it slightly better but is still behind in physical sales.

IF theoretically supply was there i could see the ps5 sell a million a week or 3 and then drop towards 40-50k untill a mil or 7 and finally drop towards 10-20k untill end of lifecycle

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

curl-6 said:

The decline in third party sales in Japan is their own fault for continuing to refuse to properly support the system that's dominating Japan.

If you throw everything you have behind a declining platform while allocating only scraps to the market leader, it's hardly surprising if your sales drop.

The last four years now have seen third party sales constantly rise on Switch and constantly fall on Playstation, in spite of third parties strongly favouring the latter.

Well sales is just a part of it, FFIX is the most profitable game from SE but if you just base on sales it is barely anything. Revenue shares are more interesting.

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

Except by the games that can't run on Switch (Capcom, Square, etc) it has been a while most of games are released on both Switch and Playstation. There is an almost perfect transition from PS4 third party sales to Switch third party sales on going since Switch found success 

However those sales are still pale compared to that they used to be years ago (3DS/Vita/PS3). The graphs were clear, third party sales are declining while Nintendo first party are growing. PS4 third party sales were also smaller than PS3 third party sales, while Switch is barely earning the third party sales they already owned on 3DS

In the end, the truth is most of people buy primarily Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms, thats why third party split for Nintendo was always smaller than Playstation's (or conversely, you can state first party split was just far smaller on PS4), hence why a market where there is only Switch with relevance is further reducing the importance of third parties.

This is concerning for the future of the market and as Japan is the second most prolific market to create games this is likely to affect the output of games, with Japanese third party having even hard time to keep competitive with technology as they have no money to compete fairly not even with Nintendo games that are arguably smaller budget compared to western games 

Thankfully JP devs are finding a way to sell their games outside Japan, that's can save them from this dark ages of Nintendo domination. 

There is not a decline in software sales compared to Generation 8.  The decline is in comparison to Generation 7.  Generation 7 had one really massive platform (DS) and three others with a respectable install base (PSP, Wii, PS3).  The successor to every single one of these systems experienced decline.  Think out it.

NDS -> 3DS
PSP -> Vita
Wii -> Wii U
PS3 -> PS4

In Japan all 4 of these transitions were a decline.  That is one big reason why third party sales are declining.  However, how did both Nintendo and Sony respond to this situation?  Nintendo rethought how they were doing things and released the Switch, which is clearly more successful than the 3DS in every meaningful way (not to mention the Wii U).  What did Sony do?  They quit Japan.  They ended their handheld line and closed their Japanese studio.  They quit Japan.

The decline in third party sales is because of Sony.  The going got tough and they gave up.  There are no longer 4 viable platforms for third parties in Japan.  There is really only one viable platform now.  The path to a revival of third party sales is pretty simple: third party developers need to put their games on the Switch.  That's all that needs to happen.  Ideally, they would release a Switch version on day 1 for a multiplat game.  Or they could just make their game Switch exclusive.  Nintendo has a viable platform, and the games that release on it certainly sell better than they do on Playstation.  There have already been several weeks where Switch games took 30/30 slots with many of those slots being filled by third party games, and there will be more 30/30 weeks in the future.  Third party developers just need to be more intentional about releasing their games on Switch, and they will do well.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 26 April 2022

The_Liquid_Laser said:

In Japan all 4 of these transitions were a decline.  That is one big reason why third party sales are declining.  However, how did both Nintendo and Sony respond to this situation?  Nintendo rethought how they were doing things and released the Switch, which is clearly more successful than the 3DS in every meaningful way (not to mention the Wii U).  What did Sony do?  They quit Japan.  They ended their handheld line and closed their Japanese studio.  They quit Japan.

The decline in third party sales is because of Sony.  The going got tough and they gave up.  There are no longer 4 viable platforms for third parties in Japan.  There is really only one viable platform now.  The path to a revival of third party sales is pretty simple: third party developers need to put their games on the Switch.  That's all that needs to happen.  Ideally, they would release a Switch version on day 1 for a multiplat game.  Or they could just make their game Switch exclusive.  Nintendo has a viable platform, and the games that release on it certainly sell better than they do on Playstation.  There have already been several weeks where Switch games took 30/30 slots with many of those slots being filled by third party games, and there will be more 30/30 weeks in the future.  Third party developers just need to be more intentional about releasing their games on Switch, and they will do well.

I think there's a bit more context to this. None of them made decisions based on the Japanese market alone. Nintendo had favour with handhelds globally and was really dependent on 1st party output to drive their platforms, all they done was consolidate what worked for them. You could argue they gave up or shafted on the dedicated home console market, people who bought the Wii U 10 years ago are still being fed Mario Kart 8 DLC and stuck with a Wii U spec machine. Sony thrived off of third party titles and unlike Nintendo, has never had a stronghold on the Japanese software chart as a publisher. Nor did they have the IP to drive the uptake of a new portable platform like Pokemon/Animal Crossing/Mario etc. Abandoning the handheld space and focusing on where they found success with, worked for them. They both done what was logical for them and consolidated in places where they were already thriving.  

Last edited by Otter - on 26 April 2022