By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz monthly Sales Comparison articles for the month of March 2022. Everyone is welcome to post monthly articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

2022: January, February

2021: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December

2020: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December

2019: September, October, NovemberDecember

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 687,874 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,517,723 - PS4

Total Lead: 2,511,753 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,709,382

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 21,221,135

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 0.69 million units and by 2.52 million units in the last 12 months. The PS4 is ahead of the PS5 by 2.51 million units.

The PS5 has sold 18.71 million units in 17 months, while the PS4 sold 21.22 million units. Month 17 for the PS5 is March 2022 and for the PS4 is March 2015.

The PS4 crossed 20 million units in month 17, 30 million units in month 25, and 40 million units in month 31. The PS4 has sold 116.75 million units to date.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 15 April 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PS5 with the supplies issues and the stronger competition from Xbox will have a tough time catching up with the PS4.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - March 2022 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 488,885 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,082,920 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 2,386,796 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 13,867,499

Xbox One Total Sales: 11,480,703

March 2022 is the 17th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 488,885 units. The Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead in the last 12 months by 2.08 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 2.39 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 13.87 million units in 17 months, while the Xbox One sold 11.48 million units. Month 17 for the Xbox Series X|S is March 2022 and for the Xbox One is March 2015.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 24 when it sold 14.41 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 30, 30 million in month 48, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 50.52 million units to date.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 240,335 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,182,920 - PS5

Total Lead: 4,841,883 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,709,382

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 13,867,499

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 240,335 units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 2.18 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 4.84 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 18.87 million units in 17 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 13.87 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 57.4 percent marketshare, compared to 42.6 percent for the Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 2.51 million units behind of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 2.39 million units.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 17 April 2022

Around the Network

Xbox Series X|S has a lead of more than 2 million Over the Xbox One.

PS5 Has a deficit of more than 2 million when compared to the PS4.

Interesting that the X|S lead over their last gen console is so close to the PS5 deficit to their last gen counterpart.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS3 Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006 in North America and Japan and in March 2007 in Europe. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS3 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 150,878 - PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,878,175 - PS5

Total Lead: 7,025,118 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales 18,709,382

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 11,684,264

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 3 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 150,878 units. In the last year the PS5 has outsold the PS3 by 2.88 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 7.03 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 18.71 million units in 17 months, while the PlayStation 3 sold 11.68 million units. Month 17 for the PlayStation 5 is March 2022 and for the PlayStation 3 is March 2008.

The PlayStation 3 did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month 26 where it had sold 19.63 million units.

The PlayStation 3 crossed 20 million in month 27, 30 million in month 38, and 40 million in month 47. The PlayStation 3 sold 87.4 million units lifetime.

Nice to see Xbox Series' lead over its predecessor grow to over 2 million in spite of heavy supply shortages.
MS definitely learned their lessons and played a stronger hand this gen than last.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:

Nice to see Xbox Series' lead over its predecessor grow to over 2 million in spite of heavy supply shortages.
MS definitely learned their lessons and played a stronger hand this gen than last.

Every platform holder seems to get arrogant at least once. That was Sony with the PS3 and Microsoft with the Xbox One. And Nintendo? Well they do their own thing. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Every platform holder seems to get arrogant at least once. That was Sony with the PS3 and Microsoft with the Xbox One. And Nintendo? Well they do their own thing. 

I would say Nintendo got arrogant with the Wii U and 3DS, thinking they could just do whatever they wanted after the success of the DS and Wii without actually listening to the market.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)